New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Need your response for a project!  (Read 1546 times)

Offline noelaar

• IceShanty Rookie
Need your response for a project!
« on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:49 AM »
Hey guys just wondering what do you think of the limits that we are brought apon for ice fishing. As in how we cannot ice fish some trout lakes, no tip-ups on some lakes, and just any knowledge of why we are limited soo much during ice fishing season. Is there a certain reason that we cant ice fish some trout lakes?

Thanks to everyone that took their time to read this and reply!
Gimme 2 1/2 inches and ill be out there.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Need your response for a project!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Idk but my guess would be just the same reason they have seasons on certian fish. Or they dont have a strong enough fishery to support fishing throught the ice ?
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Idk but my guess would be just the same reason they have seasons on certian fish. Or they dont have a strong enough fishery to support fishing throught the ice ?

That would be my guess

Offline noelaar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Thank you guys I have to do a project and cant find any research on why we cant ice fish some of the waters here in upstate new York so thought I mine as well post on ice shanty :tipup:

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:15 PM »
I know some of it has to do with the usage of bait fish and the possible destruction of the trout fisheries.  I am assuming that in non-icefishing conditions DEC would say that usage of bait fish is lower than during ice season (?). 

Offline phishn704

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I would not feel that we are limited in any way other than seasonal fishing regs.  We are allowed 5 tipups per person along with three hand lines.  To me I get more excited about ice fishing due to having the possibility to have more lines in the water.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:33 PM »
i second that notion but i mad i cant fish rushford lake even for eyes or anything

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:30 AM »
I asked a dec officer before and his reasoning was that trout lake and ponds are non ice fishing because the use of bait fish and pollution.  Look at the trash you find on lakes in the winter.     Trout waters can't handle it
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:36 AM »
yea trout waters in ny r just starting to come back from the acid rains and the fisherys r still fragile! i do get gelouse of the brookys the main guys can fish for tho :P

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:29 AM »
I know some of it has to do with access, for example, Upper saranac has a tip-ups prohibited regulation but you can jig it. There are tons of lake trout and huge pike in that lake also. But public access is limited and there are several "associations" of very wealthy people that own property along this lakes shoreline, most of which being seasonal residencies. And I believe they dont want the masses of people that would flock there if you could fish it, being their "camps" are un-occupied and open to theft and vandalism.... just my thought.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:13 PM »
I think the regs should be changed to 15 tip-up`s per person like they are on Champlain. Plus up what you can keep per species. I`d also like to see smelt be legal for Lake George. It won`t happen in this state though. Just wishful thinking... ;)
Master Laker taker.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:19 PM »
Up it to 15 tip ups everywhere and the jig fishers won't have a square inch of ice to fish. I was at Keuka today and guys had tipups spread  like it was an enemy mine field. I got the evil eye when I was walking off from a bunch because they set up on the path.

Just my $.02

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:23 PM »
Thank you guys I have to do a project and cant find any research on why we cant ice fish some of the waters here in upstate new York so thought I mine as well post on ice shanty :tipup:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7733.html#regs

Offline noelaar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:37 AM »
I wouldnt have a problem if they opened some lakes up and put alot more regs on those lakes. Just some of these lakes that i fish in the summer are loaded with trout and would love to see what they prduce threw the ice!

Offline iceperch slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Up it to 15 tip ups everywhere and the jig fishers won't have a square inch of ice to fish. I was at Keuka today and guys had tipups spread  like it was an enemy mine field. I got the evil eye when I was walking off from a bunch because they set up on the path.

Just my $.02

RG
i just cruise right through there sets. I try to avoid if possible, but when theres groups of guys with 30 sets its about impossible. Most of them are chasing flags with quads and sleds anyways
When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:31 AM »
if your looking at lakes with waterlevel changes often those lakes are closed. example the NYC res on the west side of the hudson are ALL closed to icefishing but the east side of the hudson are open for it.

and trout season in most parts of the state to my knowlage is APRIL 1ST -  OCT 15TH. any and all other places that allow you to fish trout through the ice are special. they should be looked at and used as gifts!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:00 AM »
The biggest problem I see is all the trash left by ice fishermen.  They finally get access to areas they don't normally fish and then leave behind all kinds of trash.  A good example is Lake Lonely where the garbage is spread all along the access path.  Another problem is they are not supposed to use snowmobiles/4 wheelers along that access path, but a lot of them do.  It really tears up a beautiful path just to get into the lake without exerting any effort by pulling your sled into the area.
When I fish Lake Lonely I always take along a big garbage bag and never leave without plenty to pick up on the way in or out.  Last week almost a whole case of empty beer cans tossed into the woods along the path.
Come on guys or we will lose any access to this great ice fishing lake.
I can also tell you the trash along Fitch Road is not much better.

Eagle Ed

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:26 PM »
JUST A THOUGHT,donot let the junk get to you,just pick it up,you know like you did for your kids
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2013, 02:25 PM »
You guys are very lucky that you can keep your shantys out on the ice, we in pennsylvania can't do that anymore since the late 70's i believe. We don't get the heavy sustained ice like new york to handle that i would say, but i believe many sank to the depths and made the fish commision change that. We have some places that have No Icefishing signs as well on private lakes. I believe you can decimate a pond or lake in a good season with many fisherman as well.
Got Bugs?

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:04 PM »
The DEC is comprised if many different branches and offices that all have the same goal, to keep New York in a good enough condition so that we can enjoy hunting/fishing/outdoor rec.  We tend to see the officers more than anything and don't realize the network of biologists and researchers that study the environment here and do what they can to keep it sustainable.  I think the reason for limits and regulations is to preserve what the state has to offer and keep people enjoying the outdoors safe.  Unfortunatly in isolated cases money talks and influences regulations, ie rich people that own water front property, and don't appreciate the sports we all do.

I have faith that the regs in place are there to insure my kids and grand kids will someday be able to fish as I do.  I may not always know why they are, but then again I'm not a biologist.

Offline Icedog40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:05 PM »
15 tip ups??? That's way too much work. You'd have to have 2 buckets just for them, that's crazy. I think 5 per man plus 3 rods is plenty...

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:38 PM »
I don't feel  like the DEC is being overly restrictive to ice fishermen.  I understand their intent on most of the rules. I think they do a great job overall.  I am sure it is difficult to juggle the interests of all the various groups out there (ice fisherman, catch and release fanatics, tournaments, cold water, warm water ,  species restoration, etc)

Offline orangecoat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re ;Rushford lake
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:09 PM »
 I thought the ice on Rushford Lake was unsafe. Because of the fluxuateing water level.

Offline noelaar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Im all for the regs and if anyone ever finds a website that talks about this DEC or any other site that would be great! Thank youy all for yyour replies!

JJ

« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Why not try calling someone from DEC Fisheries to get the reasoning behind the regulations? I have found they are usually very willing to answer questions, especially if you are doing a "project". Is it for school?

I spoke to Rich Preall,  NYS DEC Region 5 biologist, about why ice fishing was not allowed on most brook trout waters. He said they were too vulnerable through the ice; DEC actually did a study where they went out and caught fish and marked them. From what I remeber they caught most or all of them in a couple weeks.

One thing you will notice about "trout waters" that are open to ice fishing, most contain other species like perch, sunfish, pike/pickeral, etc.

Offline noelaar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Why not try calling someone from DEC Fisheries to get the reasoning behind the regulations? I have found they are usually very willing to answer questions, especially if you are doing a "project". Is it for school?

I spoke to Rich Preall,  NYS DEC Region 5 biologist, about why ice fishing was not allowed on most brook trout waters. He said they were too vulnerable through the ice; DEC actually did a study where they went out and caught fish and marked them. From what I remeber they caught most or all of them in a couple weeks.

One thing you will notice about "trout waters" that are open to ice fishing, most contain other species like perch, sunfish, pike/pickeral, etc.
  Yeah i have a project for english class. Yeah i could give them a call im just supposed to have 4 sources of information and this is gonna be one source and the phone call could alos be one thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.