New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: spuds  (Read 1018 times)

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
spuds
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 03:49 PM »
dont wanna pay 50 bucks for a spud! all you handy guys out there, what did you make yours out of?

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: spuds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 03:54 PM »
Well mine was passed down from family, but 50 dollars seems fair for something that may save your life lol

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2012, 03:55 PM »
mine is probably older than the 3 of us put togeather hand made my grandfather was 90 when he died 20 years ago and it was well used before that

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:07 PM »
figures, got to be a couple of the guys i work with, chiming in and giving me absolutely no info. what so ever i need to MAKE 1!!!!!! kowboy and slymer if i had your money id go buy one!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:13 PM »
articicejigger if it keeps you safe on this side of the ice ill buy you one lol

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:15 PM »
thx steve! but raquettedacker put up a great link and my wheels r spinning already!

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:20 PM »
i saw that also, they say to buy an eastwing Ax all metal with rubber handle and to swing it down it front of you as you r walking out saw it in Outdoor Life magazine and it makes sense if the ice is thin the head of the ax will go right thru

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Mine was passed down as well.  The new frabill one is nice, breaks down into two pieces too.  Herbs in Herkimer had them for 30$

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:21 PM »
well  since i work with stainless steel  i fab up a real nice one made of 2in flat stock face to nice angle and welded it together  used a piece of one in  tubing with a whole in the end for pieces of rope    bigfish :clap:

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:27 PM »
O and Kowboy! your not handy! LOL :)

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Five foot length of 3/4" pipe-put an 90 degree elbow on the top for a handle if you want!!!

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Father was a machinist and made me two. Id dare to say there sharper than my nils. Ones at the bottom of a lake from earlier this year.  :o

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:52 PM »
i  think it  was bass  pro  shop  had  them  for  24  bucks

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Tie a length of rope on it and around your hand... ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:13 PM »
dug many a hole with the spud bar my gramps would always make sure u had the rope around your wrist if not when that bar broke through u would have a good chance of losing the bar and that would make everyone alittle mad didnt have the auger yet lol

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Well articicejigger i see u got some info, howd that idea work with u that u found while we were on the phone? Guess u should have gotten one passed down to u lol

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:22 PM »
looked good at the time but now i see alot better ways to make one! with stuff i can get for free at the  garage!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Just made a New spud bar Monday while I was fabricating a ice utility rack for the snowmobile.  Took 1" black iron, cut one end lengthwise about 6" and welded a piece of 2" x 1/4" flat bar, shaped it on a grinder and then on the other end simply welded a piece of the same material for a T handle! Primed and painted, ready for action !   Here's some pics:

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:42 PM »
thats nice!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Here's the utility rack for two buckets and an auger carrier which will be mounted to the frame on the back of my sled:

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:47 PM »
you do good work! 

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Thanks Jig! My welding is a little rough, lots of grinding afterwards, haha! But as the old saying goes, prime and paint, makes it what it ain't!  I made a nice 3 bucket rack with retractable outrigger arms for the wheeler too.  I'm able to put my one man shanty on the back of the rack when hauling the wheeler in the p/u truck and then the arms come off when you're out on the ice!

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:56 PM »
wow thats a great idea for the wheeler! when its in the truck shanty on it already! nice!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:08 PM »
wow thats a great idea for the wheeler! when its in the truck shanty on it already! nice!

Word of caution, wheeler is prone to tipping up when going up ramp.  Learned this in a very scary way last week when my wheeler reared up on me.  Only thing saving me from a disaster was the shanty strapped onto the outrigger arms.  It served as a wheelie bar preventing the wheeler from flipping on top of me.  I retrospect, in our haste to pack up I had the truck facing up hill.  Had it faced down hill the angle of the ramp would have been much gentler.  Won't make that mistake again.  Loading it on flat ground was no problem however.  Will take a pic of the wheeler rack when I get a chance, it's pretty neat!

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:13 AM »
dont wanna pay 50 bucks for a spud! all you handy guys out there, what did you make yours out of?

I bought the longer handle ice chisel at gm for 20.00.  two good whacks and im through 2.5 inches of ice and its very light to carry compared to some of the other spuds Ive used in the past.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:26 AM »
Nice looking spud jager.

Mine is one my dad made years ago. It's an older jack hammer end welded on to a piece of galvanized fence post. It is lite but the end is heavy enough so it works well.

Good topic!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.