New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How close is too close?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
How close is too close?
« on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:04 PM »
This is a bit of an etiquette question that I think about a lot on the ice. I generally fish Fort Ann Beach and it can get a little crowded there from time to time.

So what would you consider to be too close to between your tipups and another guy's? Personally, if there is a crowd, I wouldn't set up any closer than I spread my own. So for example, if I'm setting mine up 30 yards apart, I won't get within 30 yards of the other guy.

So how about you guys? Obviously, the easiest answer is "just go somewhere else." But I'm not looking for advice or anything. Just wondering what everyone else's rule of thumb is when it comes to this.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How close is too close?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Try to give people room to move tip ups if they desire to.  Try to give them a hundred yards or so, if possible. Sometimes it isn't so your formula of the distance you spread your tip ups is good. 50-60'

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:17 PM »
I personally hate fishing around other people. I am a very self driven person, and when I am fishing I like to be left alone. Not to mention, if you are fishing near alot of other people, and you actually catch something big, everyone will come over...and that is really annoying.

the other thing is last weekend I was out on a local lake with a buddy. We were out there, set up before 7am. Only a few guys in this area. This was last friday when it was 60*. Well, around 1pm, 3 southerners came up and literally put there tip ups 30 feet behind my last one, and "continued" my line of tip ups. This was REALLY annoying because when I was walking around, drilling and jigging, if a flag went up it took me forever to figure out whose it was. Not to mention these 3 guys were hooting and hollering so the people on the other side of the lake could hear them. I have never packed up my stuff and left a lake, due to others, and this was my first time. I was just pushed past my boiling point and thats very hard to do.

Offline Windknots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:14 AM »
I could care less, not like their lines will tangle with mine- 15-20 feet is good.  I only care if they sit there dropping F-bombs and talking like morons near me.  My kids are 99% of the time in my shanty and I hate when people aren't considerate of others.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Communication!

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:24 AM »

ive found that there is 2 types of people who ice fish . one is the serious angler who puts in alot of hard work to find his own fish and will only share wit a select few peeps , this person has strict rules about how close you can fish even if youre fishin with him . the other is a casual guy who likes to get outta the house , catch a few and have a few and enjoy some laughs and meet a few new people . this guy could care less how close you are . there is a third who likes to get drunk and mouth off but he isnt a fisherman . personally im a lil bit of both depending on my mood and where im fishin  :tipup:

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Communication!
i jig fish only,most times week days,but i will ask if it is ok to fish close[less then 100ft]
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:44 PM »
This is an interesting question. I have fished on Oneida Lake during its heyday, and people literally had to fish right next to one another. I also
remember the first time I fished Lake George; I came within 100 yards of someone and had them yell, "Hey, this is our spot!" I always considered
ice fishing a chance to socialize so don't get too territorial. After all, I have yet to have someone show his deed to the lake.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:12 PM »
i would say 100 yards is enough space for me.  ha ha.  i hate shanty followers that crowd ya.

Offline all out nuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Far enough away that I dont have to hear their phone ring , conversations about their buddys wife , or blowin extra wind .  ;D

Offline Instantperception

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:23 PM »
my dad was out this morning............... ........sd someone set up about five feet behind his hut    >:(.................  that's too close, three other guys were  about ten to fifteen feet away   

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:32 PM »
i dont mind it when a guy gets close as long as he says hi and seems like a good guy. But if he sets up right next to me and dont say anything and seems like a d**k when i say hi to him then i just might have to either throw snowballs at his tip-ups or turn my little radio up and put some heavy metal in.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:03 PM »
100' if you are using tip-ups if jigging 50'. nothing wrong with socalizing but i believe in personal space i have had guys set up on top of me and was expecting others to show up and told them i had others showing up they responded with do you own the lake so when the other 4 guys i was fishing with showed up they set up between the other guys tip-ups when they made a comment they were asked if they owned the lake  ;) if they had stayed 100' away their would not have been a problem so be curtious to others and keep the peace.

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:33 PM »
  I distinctly remember having a guy on Oneida walk through the middle of our setup and not say word.  This was after both me and another guy said hello to him.  He then went on to fish immediately next (within 20ft of our tipups) to us after taking a good look at what we were fishing with.  I wouldn't have been so ticked off if he had the common courtsey to say hello.

Offline Junior88

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Depends on the size of the lake and things like if there is a known area that produces at certain times. If that area is the hot spot then you should assume that it will get crowded and go with it. If you are in a big open area I like the aforementioned idea of at least the distance of the tip-up spacing. A few weeks back myself and a buddy were in a Crappie spot and about 50 fishermen were all within 30 yards of one another, it was like a big party and was pretty cool .Met some good guys that spread their wisdom with us and made for a memorable trip.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Today I almost drove my ATV right through a guys set. The second I saw his tip ups I stopped and drove around them. He almost seemed suprised that I didn't just tear right through them. I felt bad even being that close to them.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I personally hate fishing around other people. I am a very self driven person, and when I am fishing I like to be left alone. Not to mention, if you are fishing near alot of other people, and you actually catch something big, everyone will come over...and that is really annoying.

the other thing is last weekend I was out on a local lake with a buddy. We were out there, set up before 7am. Only a few guys in this area. This was last friday when it was 60*. Well, around 1pm, 3 southerners came up and literally put there tip ups 30 feet behind my last one, and "continued" my line of tip ups. This was REALLY annoying because when I was walking around, drilling and jigging, if a flag went up it took me forever to figure out whose it was. Not to mention these 3 guys were hooting and hollering so the people on the other side of the lake could hear them. I have never packed up my stuff and left a lake, due to others, and this was my first time. I was just pushed past my boiling point and thats very hard to do.
I totally agree, Especially fishing the salmon & lakers....The rest of your post is me  ;D

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:01 PM »
I could care less, not like their lines will tangle with mine- 15-20 feet is good.  I only care if they sit there dropping F-bombs and talking like morons near me.  My kids are 99% of the time in my shanty and I hate when people aren't considerate of others.
If your fishing lakers or salmon you need lots more room than what your saying !!!  ;D

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:06 PM »
I fish close to people hoping for an offering of a cold beer. just kidding

Offline fishdoggg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:11 PM »
It all depends if I am the first one to the spot I want to fish.  If I am first then Its 50 yards from any of my tip-ups or my shanty.  If I am late then I space them 30 ft. from the copy cat bas@@rd!  and his deer blind.  Just kidding but I like to keep my space.  I  have arrived late and changed locations and still have caught fish.  It does depend on lake size and your spatial preference.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:42 PM »
30yrds left or right. I usually set my TU in a straight line and put my shanty at either end. If I decide to jig I'll stay tight to my set up. I like conversation but sometime if your to close you feel like you need to talk to the person next to you. If I get to my spot bright and early and you show up mid morn and set up on top of me and then start cookin venison and chili you better be offering.LOL ;D ;D ;D

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:50 PM »
I fish close to people hoping for an offering of a cold beer. just kidding
me too...not kidding ;)
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline drillinnjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Forced to work Born to Fish!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:03 PM »
I'm friendly enough will always wave and say hello might even chit chat with you, but that doesn't mean I want to fish with you or that you want to fish with me.  About 75 yds is good for me.  Corny as it may sounds the whole do unto others thing sometimes works. I like my space so I'll give you yours If I wanted to fish the spot you are in I should have gotten my fat happy self there earlier. Not my lake not yours have to share which means being respectful.

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:11 PM »
I'm friendly enough will always wave and say hello might even chit chat with you, but that doesn't mean I want to fish with you or that you want to fish with me.  About 75 yds is good for me.  Corny as it may sounds the whole do unto others thing sometimes works. I like my space so I'll give you yours If I wanted to fish the spot you are in I should have gotten my fat happy self there earlier. Not my lake not yours have to share which means being respectful.
ditto

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline Windknots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:13 AM »
If your fishing lakers or salmon you need lots more room than what your saying !!!  ;D

You're right Jack- but for bluegills its fine.  I forgot to mention tipups.  When I'm tip up fishing around my shanty they'd better not block my view of my tip ups!

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:13 AM »
we had our shanty 400 yards away from another groups shanty last year on the Dead Sea and they were complaining we were in their spot.  then they set tip ups 10 feet away from mine.  i didn't complain, especially when i caught a 40 inch pike that day  :thumbsup:  i would personally not get anywhere near that close to someone.  communication works best, but some people aren't that considerate.  happy fishin  :tipup:
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.