New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Anyone ever have this happen.  (Read 2039 times)

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone ever have this happen.
« on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:23 PM »
A buddy and i were fishing out of two different holes right next to eachother in the clam. He opens his bail sets his rod down and steps out to take a wiz. as hes getting back in i start getting a hit and set the hook, fish on. As im realing it in i see line start peeling off his real. I figuered we weere tangled but i was wrong, he must have taken his jig on the way up. First time for me.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
Re: Anyone ever have this happen.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:26 PM »
This year with a pike.It was a mess but wild time.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Ha! that's a great picture and story!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:33 PM »
what electronics are you using? dont recognize it. and i have gotten tangled with a buddy too close but no fish
That is a showdown ice troller.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:53 PM »
haha i was wondering who was going to ask that. i gave him the fish. hees a newbie and hadnt cought one jigging yet so i told him it was his. but that he still needed my help getting it in.

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:07 PM »
thats my first time seeing that!

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Very neat Jimi!!

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:03 PM »
I guess he was hungry!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:07 PM »
thats awsome :o

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline mlake4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:24 AM »
nice catch step2jimi @)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Never on the ice but last spring fishing dead bait for lakers my brother and hooked the same fish...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:41 AM »
This reminds me of when I was a mate on a party boat out on Long Island Sound.  We'd be bottom fishing for flounder, etc and once in a while, something big and ornery like a blue shark would come around, grab bailed hooks, hooked fish, and the proceed to run all over hells half acre tying up most of the lines on the boat. :'(
Nice story though.  I'd say you got off easy.  Did have a northern hit my jig last year while watching it on the camera.  Of course he turned and ran right past the camera and tied up the line with the cable.  That was a bit of a mess.
Nice to see a 'gil.  Hope you're catching a bunch.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Once this yr, but one was a foul hook.  I had a deadstick with plain hook & fathead, and while jigging a pimple for perch I popped a 24" pike.  Well I guess on it's second run it got slightly tangled in the deadstick line, as the line slid up the pike it fouled him in the side.  As I'm fighting the pike on the jig, the deadsticks doubles over.  So I reach down with left hand and grab it.  Now I have a rod in each hand, both doubled over, trying to keep pressure on what I thought were 2 fish, and trying to figure out how to get them in  :cookoo:  Had to chose..... Put the deadstick down, fought the jig rod. As I gained ground deadstick when limp, thought I lost a huge fish on the double.  Went back and forth with excitement over the one still on & ticked over what I thought was losing another.

Nice flasher I love mine, leave the vex at home now.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:02 AM »
yea i was worried that letting cost be the final factor was going to hurt me with the sonar but i love it. wont go fishing without it.

Offline sinkergurl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing makes me happy
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:11 AM »
Seems to me this fish wasn't coming up without taking everything in its path too. Pretty cool to see
FJB

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Thats a hungry gill!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline fourskis4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Nice gill, what lake you fishing?

Offline LineCrossed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Happened to me last saturday. Set the hook and started reeling and then lost the fish. Reeled the line in and discovered my hook was gone. Guess I didn't tie it very well. Same time my buddy gets a bite, sets the hook and reels in a nice perch with my hook still in it's mouth. :'( Oh well, at least one of us got him.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:07 AM »
and you got your jig back.

Offline LineCrossed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Just a hook I was using with a minnow but we got a good laugh out of it. ;D

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:24 AM »
that's funny. never had it happen like that. we had a buddy up from North Carolina and we took him out fishing and when he got his first flag he and i went running over to check it another flag went off and then another. i kinda had an idea what had happened but my buddy got real excited so i played along. i let him take the first flag and he started fighting. the fish started coming in for him and then i went over to the other hole and started giving the line a little tug once in a while. he's yelling over to me this thing is huge. well after a little fun i let him pull it in and he had one heck of a mess. took a while to sort out but messing with him was worth it. lucky sob caught a 23" brown trout for his first fish on the ice. he still comes up once in a while to fish and hunt but he loves telling that story.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:29 AM »
thats great man. classic story.

Offline The River Rat

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:38 AM »
have had it before with spring browns trolling with multiple lines out on planer boards. 1 brown with multiple spoons in his mouth and one time still had the tail of a bait fish sticking out of his mouth,
Matt and Mandy, owners of th American Dream.

Offline jeg in albany

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Great story and great picture.

I had sort of the opposite happen a few years ago during open water.  I caught two largemouths, each about 13", on a 1/2 oz Rat L Trap. One on each treble.

When they got to the boat, I first thought it was a two headed bass.

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Never seen that before.  However, last summer, I had 2 bass at once on a zara superspook.  It was pretty awesome.  Of course, I was alone and didn't get a pic :(

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I as well have never had it happen on the ice but have during the summer.  My brother and I both pulled in the same catfish at the same time.  We were both excited that our bobbers were under the water after we came out from eating dinner and walked down to the water.  We ran down and started reeling together and our lines kept getting closer to each other.  We figured that one was snagged on the other.  We reeled up to the dock and both grabbed our leader with a fat cat hooked to both.  Of course that was years ago and neither of us will give up the catch.

I also caught two bass at the same time on my nephews junior pole with a 3" splitback rapala.  I was reeling in the one bass while another latched on just before the shore.

Sure they sound like fish stories but I at least have witnesses.  ;D

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:04 PM »
I've never had two lures in one fish, but I have had one lure for two fish.

Years ago, I was brook trout fishing in a small stream. I was fighting one, and it ended up getting tangled in some alders on the side of the stream. Somehow, during the struggle, the lure ended falling trough the gills cleanly and another trout seemed to like it. The second trout pulled the first trout through the alders and I landed them both. One of my more unique stories.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:18 PM »
never had it happen but while fishing in canada on a trip often would catch a small northern and have a bigger northern come from behind and try to eat the one i had hooked. Awsome to see

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:26 PM »
thats crazy, never heard of that happening, musta been one hungary gill :o at canadice my buddy had a pickeral snap his line. 20 min or so later my other buddy caught the same pick and got my buddy his jig back.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:47 PM »
never had it happen but while fishing in canada on a trip often would catch a small northern and have a bigger northern come from behind and try to eat the one i had hooked. Awsome to see
Had that happen in Key West one time with a king mackerel. Nothing like reeling in a 50lb fish and suddenly fighting a 500lb dolphin for ten or fifteen second until it takes the body off the mackerel behind the head.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.