New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Canadarago chit-chat thread.  (Read 3591 times)

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Canadarago chit-chat thread.
« on: Dec 25, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Just wanted to start a thread for Canadarago chit-chat so we can keep the reports and conditions thread for what it is intended for.

I am hoping to make it out there Sunday morning to set some tip-ups for walleye. Anybody else going to be out? Bakers Beach is open, right?

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Canadarago chit-chat thread.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Kewl thought\
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline superkill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:10 AM »
I have never fished it  but I hear its good for perch and I have a relative coming up toward the end of jan. and he loves perch. I normally fish oneida. I also was wondering if anyone is out fish Canadarago yet?

Offline walleyemagic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • () Eyes There out there somewhere()Team NY
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:18 AM »
What is this rain going to do too it, I have not been out on the ice in about 15 yrs and just getting back into it. Planning on Sun but not sure with weather. keep us posted.
Thanks

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2009, 02:17 PM »
If I remember correctly, when you reach 5 posts you can see the reports and conditions thread, which has a section on Canadarago. People have been fishing there for about five days or so. There was a fourwheeler out there the other day and at least 4 or 5 inches from what I read. I'm not sure what damage has been done with the weather, but I don't think too much. I'm still debating about whether I am going to go out there Sunday morning. I have to work in the afternoon.

Offline Gunner391

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:03 PM »
good ice 6-7"  1" of slush were biteing ok

Offline superkill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:04 AM »
Thanks a lot ill try to get out there tuesday

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2010, 05:49 AM »
Is this an ATV friendly lake?  Have there been any ATV's out there yet?
Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Offline superkill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:18 PM »
I went out Wednesday and seen a few fourwheelers on the ice so id say its ok. I walked out and had about 6 inches of good clean ice. We had 4 in our group and fished from about 9am till 430pm and we caught over 100 dink perch EACH!! It was ridiculous but after the day ended the four of us had a combined total of 23 decent perch with a few of them being slobs but wow what we had to weed through to get those. I personally went through almost 200 spikes lol. I would say if you wanted to introduce ice fishing to a child or a newbie this place would be perfect, nonstop action all day.

Offline chwainwr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Any new news on Canadarago?  Thinking about heading out on Friday and or Saturday.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 05:49 PM »
forget it  to much snow  on ice very soggy today  >:( >:(

well thats fishing my friend
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline steeda9

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love the ice, but bring on that spring gobble
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:59 PM »
forget it  to much snow  on ice very soggy today  >:( >:(

well thats fishing my friend

What does that mean?
What comes around goes around!

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Okay here we go.
I have fished Cando several times in the past before I was on Ice Shanty and jigged up some very nice perch, never ran tip ups.  (in the past 4 years I have been doing alot more jigging becasue I am alot more mobile).  Now, heres the question.........its seems like there is alot of hush hush on this lake, size's, number's, kind of jig, etc etc.  Im not complaining, and I am not saying I want to know the exact lure your using becasue i think it is fun figuring out what kind of lure the fish want.  But has this always been then the case with Cando?  Or am I just reading a few good friends BS with eachother?............If I am, my bad! Just a question, no need for anyone to get there feathers ruffled.   :tipup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:18 AM »
I ran into an Ole Timer ye asterday who I use to fish Canadrago with alot.. We started talking about fishing and then he noticed my Ice Shanty .Com hat.  He said that no good &%$#^%&*(**&^$#@!#$%^&*()))&^^%$###@%****&^$#^&**((&^%$#@#%^^&&**((&&^%$$#$$%%^^^&&   Ice Shanty killed the lake.. I told him I haven't fished it in two years because of the crowds. He went on to tell me how he thinks the lake is being way over fished.. Its not that big of a lake and access is to the ice is easy..He also said not to long ago most people fishing  were from only a few miles away.. Now they come from 100's of miles..

So that's why things are a little hush hush from some people about the lake..

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I totally see that happening. I no longer post about some of the lakes I fish. I only fish Canadarago a couple times of year and mainly for walleye. I heard today that Goodyear had about 50 people out on it. That's crazy for a Thursday. Maybe I should stop posting my reports for that lake too. I just hope people put back more than they take. That's all I ask.

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2010, 03:08 AM »
I live about 12 miles from the Cando as the crow flies. I dont fish it too much and have never kept a fish from the lake. I am shocked to hear about those who travel from far away to the lake.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Last year I was at Brads getting some minnows and two crew cab trucks with trailers pulled in. On the trailers were 4 wheelers and they had 2, bolt together 10 x 10 shanty's. They bolt them together and stay in them. These guys were from Mass.... I just had to ask why they came so far to fish and they said they take a long weekend trip every year to fish for 3 or 4 days and they heard about Canadarago on IS and had to try it...None of the 8 guys were members .........
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:51 AM »
I agree that too much advertising a certain lake can be distarous. Another problem is that the guys that work condtruction or highway have the whole winter off and nothing to do so off the lake we go with big trucks, money and plenty of beer. i am not saying ALL but many. Some of the lakes i fish they come in with many buddies and fish almost everyday or weekend. I have seen many guys just throw very nice fish into the back of there truck like firewood and then head home. Chances are that those fish dont even  get eaten except for the cat. I have been ice fishing for over 60 years now and fish alone for the enjoyment and peace and keep a few fish for dinner. Now there is no such thing as peace and quiet on the lakes. And of course the young bucks all have a atv. what ever happend to walking like i have to do. Last year a bunch of guys tried to run me off the lake because they had 5 lines of tipups running in all directions and had to check them by snomobile because thei lines were a quarter mile in length. I had walked out about a half mile. set up my old tent and here comes this dude yelling at me stating  they are going to put another line of tipips down through were i was and go someplace else.  I try to get as far away from other people . All i heard all day was a lot of yelling, hole drilling and constent racket of snowmobile. Our local lake have all become over crowded and over fished because of the internet. I have met some very nice people on the lakes but there are more slobs than ever. To those who appreciate the beauty solitude and enjoyment of ice fishing, i hope you have a fantastic and happy year. For those who abuse the gift of the wild and dont have consideration for fellow fisherman, XXX. Boy i just dont know what happenen to me. Guess i will go fishing, but i wont tell you where.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:27 AM »
I agree that too much advertising a certain lake can be disastrous. Another problem is that the guys that work construction or highway have the whole winter off and nothing to do so off the lake we go with big trucks, money and plenty of beer. i am not saying ALL but many. Some of the lakes i fish they come in with many buddies and fish almost everyday or weekend. I have seen many guys just throw very nice fish into the back of there truck like firewood and then head home. Chances are that those fish don't even  get eaten except for the cat. I have been ice fishing for over 60 years now and fish alone for the enjoyment and peace and keep a few fish for dinner. Now there is no such thing as peace and quiet on the lakes. And of course the young bucks all have a atv. what ever happend to walking like i have to do. Last year a bunch of guys tried to run me off the lake because they had 5 lines of tipups running in all directions and had to check them by snowmobile because their lines were a quarter mile in length. I had walked out about a half mile. set up my old tent and here comes this dude yelling at me stating  they are going to put another line of tip-ups down through were i was and go someplace else.  I try to get as far away from other people . All i heard all day was a lot of yelling, hole drilling and constent racket of snowmobile. Our local lake have all become over crowded and over fished because of the internet. I have met some very nice people on the lakes but there are more slobs than ever. To those who appreciate the beauty solitude and enjoyment of ice fishing, i hope you have a fantastic and happy year. For those who abuse the gift of the wild and don't have consideration for fellow fisherman, XXX. Boy i just don't know what happening to me. Guess i will go fishing, but i wont tell you where.
i for one am one of those guys your referring to and by know means  do i fish this lake as often as you're saying. when i do i use tip-ups and only end up with 6-12 keepers at most and my family enjoys every last piece. and if i did catch and keep more than that, you have no right telling me i shouldn't! that's why they set limits and if someone is braking the law it needs to be reported, and only if you have reasonable doubt, not just assuming, because that's an easy way to get the Eco's in a pissy mood wasting their time on some bogus tips. sorry for the rant , but it p!@#ed me off alittle. oh and what about those Bosnian run-an-gunners. ever think about them when your placing blame on a group of people? and next time there's a button on the bottom for spell checking ;) and i have seen alot of older generation people using 4-wheelers also. I'm sure there's plenty more to rant about in this thread but I've had enough

Offline needice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:00 PM »
I went tot the lake today.Threw back many dinks and smaller perch.kept 7 of them, the biggest was about 14" with a tape,smallest was 11".Ice was about 7-9" thick and thank god for my four-wheeler as the snow was deep.Spun everywhere I went pulling the green monster and shanty and 2 friends.Would not have gone anywhere except for chains and 700 power.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:29 PM »
I agree with some of what Trouter said, except for walking vs riding on a lake.  The older one gets, it gets tougher to walk out that far on a lake, especially in slush or deeper snow.  I'm starting to hit more lakes off the beaten path due to the crowds on lakes such as Canadarago.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:47 PM »
I can understand that a few rotten eggs will ruin it for everyone. You see A******* are everywhere you go. If some guy was telling me not to drill holes after walking 1/2 mile out he could kiss my cow!!!!!!! I was fishing last weekend at a different lake first thing in the AM. Two guys come out and one drilled a hole 5' from mine. He figured because he put his hard-side in that area it was his, even though it was moved 2 times before then..... I didn't say anything and he didn't catch anything. Maybe next time I'll talk to him. It seems that lakes that ice up first are the first to get used before the more popular ones are iced. You can't blame the internet for what's happening. Just slap the parents. They should know better than what they are portraying!!!!!!!! Enjoy the rest of the season......
      Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline reddot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:16 PM »
I agree with Piscesman.  Respect for other people is very hard to come by these days.
Went out from 11 to 4 today. About 75 fish, only kept 10 larger ones.  Mostly all dinks.  Fun action though.
Wheeler was godd but it is tough going through snow but manageable.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:20 PM »
was out there also ice got worse furthur i went out but still 6" of black ice everywhere i drilled...just alot of junk on top
kept 15 perch ..couple fatties ...cold ass h%!! this am ...good day out though

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:36 AM »
bump ;D

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:03 AM »
Havent been here since 1999, use to drive 110 miles from Oswego just to fish the little lakes and Cand. Took some very nice perch that averaged 9 to 13" even taking a few slobs over 13, 40 fow as I remember, the perch use to pull drag from our reels, hehehe miss heading there
Tom
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.