New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Franklin Falls Flow for Walleye ?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Franklin Falls Flow for Walleye ?
« on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Just wondering if anyone here fishes the Franklin Falls Low for Walleye.

Any idea if those Walleyes are stocked there or do they come in from another place ?? :tipup:

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Franklin Falls Flow for Walleye ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:38 PM »

Stocked...Tend to run small...like all of em. Apparently some big ones come out here and there but I have caught hundreds in there and not one made the 18" minimum...as for northerns...you could slay one close to 40". But why wander so far from your home lake if you are after them?

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Stocked...Tend to run small...like all of em. Apparently some big ones come out here and there but I have caught hundreds in there and not one made the 18" minimum...as for northerns...you could slay one close to 40". But why wander so far from your home lake if you are after them?

I lived in Saranac Lake for Years, Helped build houses in Bloomingdale as a young man.  Read a good article by the D.E.C. about Franklin Falls Flow and am thinking about going up for an overnighter.  A field trip of sorts.  It really is not that far from Malone.  I travel over an hour and a half to a spot on the St. Lawrence to fish Walleye, so really going to the Flow is not that bad.  Probably go up get a hotel room fish for 2 days and come home maybe make it a yearly get away...

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2009, 05:08 PM »

My experience has been that though plenty of fish are there, they run small.

Also that body of water has a strong advisory against eating the fish due to mercury.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:24 AM »

My experience has been that though plenty of fish are there, they run small.

Also that body of water has a strong advisory against eating the fish due to mercury.

Yeah, almost every fishery anymore tells you not to eat fish from just about every body of water...

I talked to my brother who is a trooper out of Ray Brook and one of the troopers up there said he limited out several times last year up there.  Must be he knows the spots :P

You live there hood ??  Maybe we could hook up..  As I said I also chase the Walleyes on the St. Lawrence (been there when 8lbers have been caught through ice) if you would like to chase them sometime maybe we could arrange that.  With me the more the marrier, that's the beauty about Ice Fishing...

Offline oneidawalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:56 AM »
Is there any place to buy live bait and ice tackle in your area in the North Country near Colton or Malone?

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Is there any place to buy live bait and ice tackle in your area in the North Country near Colton or Malone?

Yes- What exactly and where are you talking about ?  I do not know about colton but Malone I do..  I will try to help but I need you to be  little more specific ;D

Offline oneidawalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:31 AM »
I will be fishing in the north country with some friends from Albany this coming January, and wanted to know where we can get bait & tackle near Malone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.