New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: gulp fake maggots  (Read 3118 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
gulp fake maggots
« on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:44 AM »
anyone try the gulp fake maggots i got a jar of the natural and green just for back up good idea or did i waste my money????
                                                                                                                                 trap

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: gulp fake maggots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2009, 12:00 PM »
anyone try the gulp fake maggots i got a jar of the natural and green just for back up good idea or did i waste my money????
                                                                                                                                 trap
Hey bud, I was on Sodus last year and we were getting a lot of perch on jigs and tip-downs that day. So anyway I had a jar of those things and tried them for a 1/2 hour with not even 1 bite, I took them off and put spikes back on and got a bite in 5 seconds. Tried them again later with same result, they went in the trash when I got home.

cny

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2009, 12:10 PM »
I used the Glup maggots in (char/green) on Sat. on Chautauqua lake, and took 1/2 bucket of perch.  Worked about the same as the mousies I had.  They have worked for me before too.  I also like the Glup spikes, and wigglers.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009, 12:22 PM »
wow 2 different reports  ya know i guess i'll try them and if there ok there back up
                                                                                                         thanks trap

Offline pgachef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:24 PM »
I cauaght and released 48 brookies in the late spring on grubs so I put on those gulp maggots did not catch any. so I went back to grubs caught some more arm got tierd went home.. they do not have my vote..but gulp minnows are the best.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2009, 02:56 PM »
I like the spikes and wigglers better, the the maggots worked the time I tried them...may have been the fish.  I also use them in the spring with my 4year old.  I just hook the tip of the maggot on a jig.  If she hooks it in the middle less action.   Maybe its the action of the maggot, or just some weird fish.  My dad uses the gulp baits alot, but slices them in half.  Makes them move more.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2009, 03:08 PM »
I did have marginal success with the Gulp Waxies(white). Gulp Maggots, didn't work for me??? Overall in a pinch I would use the Waxies, if I had to. Natural Baits is still the way to go!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2009, 04:19 PM »
I use them thru the ice and warm weather. I think they work great. If the fish are biting u should get um. Sometimes I use them instead of worms with my daughter cuz they stay on the hook longer
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline wayneo637

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2009, 04:56 PM »
I have not used these exactly ones but from my past experience with soft plastics icefishing it all depends on the body of water.  I have tried them in certian lakes and caught nothing but out fished live minows in other areas.  I think all you can do is try them out and see for yourself but dont skip buying live bait at least for the first trip out with them
WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER I'LL ICE FISH THERE TOO!!

Offline perchindude123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish-Whisperer"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2009, 05:28 PM »
i have had mixed results with these things.i used them in a private pond and they worked for sunnys but then again i can catch them things on a plain hook so that doesnt say much.tried them on lake chatuqua and nothing.switched to live waxies and slayed them one after another.tried them on streams for stockies and got 2 but then i went to live bait and caught about 25-30.donn t even waste your money on them.better off just buying the real thing(they last quite awhile if kept properly).

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:19 AM »
 i just want a back up bait in case i lose my spikes or run out , i have  been known to do the fish skin trick to stay out longer lol thanks for the  help guys always interested in other fishermans  comments and experances
                                                                                                                              trap

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:08 AM »
i just want a back up bait in case i lose my spikes or run out , i have  been known to do the fish skin trick to stay out longer lol thanks for the  help guys always interested in other fishermans  comments and experances
                                                                                                                              trap

I always keep Gulp Waxies in my coat pocket, just as a back up in case I run out of waxworms, maggots or forget them at home.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:19 AM »
I used gulp nightcrawlers instead of real ones for trolling walleyes in the summer, and they have always worked great...so I decided to try some maggots in the winter in place of the spikes I usually use.

I had already caught perch using real spikes, and was marking fish on my flasher.  When I dropped the same jig down with some of the gulp maggots, the fish left abruptly, almost if afraid.  I tried it again with the same results before switching back to the real spikes.  The spikes caught fish.  I think the scent on the gulp maggots may not be the appropriate scent for perch and panfish on some lakes, although maybe they would work better on more predatory fish such as walleye.  It was almost like they were secreting the scent that an afraid perch makes!!!
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:31 AM »
Hey trapper my friend tried them gulp, he did'nt like them. I've used the glow power bait in a pinch, thought they were ok.   
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline skyphix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:37 AM »
USed them all year this year. They don't work as well as the real thing but still catch fish. They didn't draw fish in but once the bite was on I was catching them as fast as everyone else that was using mousies and spikes. I've used pink and white this year, pink has been better on perch, white has worked great for bluegill and pumpkinseed. The trick is that you typically have to keep them moving a bit more than the real thing. I've caught crappies, perch, and various sunfish on them. Only time I got skunked was tipping spoons with them for lakers (didn't have a bait bucket to buy minnows and wasn't going to spend 22 bucks on the alive minnows).

Best part? Real maggots are one thing that I can't stand and I don't have to worry about them turning into flies before next season. My friends all pick on me about them, but they do work.
Eric

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2009, 02:52 PM »
I keep a green and a pink jar in my bucket as a backup. Seem to have more luck with the pink for perch, but overall I think the real thing is still better. I've noticed differing levels of success depending on where I fished and still think it's better than using nothing at all.

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I've only used the power wigglers, but I've had really good luck with them.

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:45 PM »
I use them thru the ice and warm weather. I think they work great. If the fish are biting u should get um. Sometimes I use them instead of worms with my daughter cuz they stay on the hook longer
Wow...i had just the opposite happen! the fish would eat them, but they would fall off the hook faster than spikes.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:25 AM »
I tried them out last year 3 or 4 different times and didnt do *hit with them...
It'll eat.

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:50 AM »
tried them last year in pink and natural, was catching fish before on other bait, tried the gulp and bang... no more fish, not even dinks. not catching fish and having your hands smell like poop... I threw them away when I got home.

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I haven't really tried them but I keep a jar in my sled as back up.  I run out or lose my real ones.  I figure having backup gulp is better then nothing.

Offline nadapesca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:01 AM »
I've used a couple of jars and they do work to a degree. If there is no other "better bait" around I think. However, that was soft water. The scent does not carry well in the cold.

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:16 PM »
I'm a lil late on this but I have been using them for a few years now. I think they work great. I also use them on open water to catch bait.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2009, 07:24 AM »
How's it going trap? Welcome back. I guess I'm like everyone else that posted on this thread. I too have had marginal success with the gulp maggots. I like having them as a backup. I used the gulp earthworms with my kids this year and they worked really well. The spikes through the ice last season didn't fare as well. I'll be trying the gulp earthworms on a jig through the ice this year. I love the action I can get out of them. I just hope the fish love it just as much. Ill be sure to post my own results.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:39 AM »
I bought some of the Gulp! white and red spikes at the Ice Show. Tried them Thursday. No luck. Took them off, used plain lures, no luck. My fishing buddy caught a couple of nice perch using the white ones. Then we used perch eyes on lures with a little success. Then I dug out the Gulp! Minnow spray. I still caught nothing. However, my buddy HAMMERED perch and large mouth bass (put 'em back of course) with the spray.
The moral of this story is that NOTHING helped me (I obviously still have a lot to learn) but the minnow spray worked GREAT for an experienced ice angler, under early ice conditions. He took home 6 perch, 10"-13" range. All in all, a nice day of early ice. Please don't ask where. It is private access. The only reason I was there was because my buddy took me.

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:48 AM »
I keep them as a back up for both the winter and spring, my kids have caught many sunnies and crappie with them.

Always nice to have an option if the fish are not biting.

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.