Author Topic: What Size Swivel?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
What Size Swivel?
« on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:27 AM »
I dont use many leaders, but the past season or two I have notice my line twists getting worse and worse. So i have decided to rig a few up with leaders. My question is what size and colour barrel swivel do you prefer? The smallest I can find locally is a 14...would you recommend going smaller.

The 14's are also only available in gold, and I was thinking black was the better option...any suggestions?

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What Size Swivel?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:50 AM »
I dont use many leaders, but the past season or two I have notice my line twists getting worse and worse. So i have decided to rig a few up with leaders. My question is what size and colour barrel swivel do you prefer? The smallest I can find locally is a 14...would you recommend going smaller.

The 14's are also only available in gold, and I was thinking black was the better option...any suggestions?
  I think that this is trial & error????...Use whatever it takes to stop the twisting.....(I like to go as small as possible; 14's are fine) I also think quality of the spinner means more than size....Just be ready to see two objects on your flasher or fish finder. :whistle:(   I also prefer black, but don't think that it really matters much/ the brighter color can act as an attractor.)......Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:10 AM »
I use a barrell swivel three or so feet up the line...again...it shows on the flasher...
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Last year I started using a swivel on a regular basis and didnt notice a difference with results from black/gold/.   I was using 12-18" 1lp for a leader not sure if it is long enough or not but it seemed to work well just hate tying the 1lb stuff so this year I have prepped 10 or jugs with leaders so I only have to tie one end while on the ice.   
[IMG]]

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Spro #10 is pretty small.  My favorite barrel swivel to use.  Cabela's has some gold #20 swivels.  Only a tad bit smaller than the Spro's but I use them more as an attraction on my spoons.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 05:45 PM »
The other day I went to a small trout pond here and the fish were more interested in my barrel swivel than my deerhair jig, if that swivel would have had a hook on it I could have caught about 6 more fish :), I was watching them on my showdown follow the swivel up and down but not my jig. MOoks

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:01 PM »
I get a lot of that with trout, even on a slip shot sinker with them pecking at it.  Put an empty bare jig, and they wouldn't even touch that.  So I'm sure the moment you put a hook on the swivel, they wouldn't even touch it.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.