New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Marcum Batteries?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Batteries?
« on: Sep 02, 2019, 07:51 PM »
How long do you guys go before you replace your battery? I bought mine in Nov. 2014. and it still charges and seems to be O.K. What do ya think?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Marcum Batteries?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2019, 06:48 AM »
How long do you guys go before you replace your battery? I bought mine in Nov. 2014. and it still charges and seems to be O.K. What do ya think?

Depends on run time. Once the run time starts to get too short, I replace the battery, and demote the old one to running the LED lights in my flipover shack.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2019, 07:39 AM »

X2

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2019, 08:01 AM »
if you have to increase the gain during the day using the same jig, it's time.

if the battery seems to take a charge faster than it used to take, it's time.

i've been switching over to lithium. they are more stable operating voltages and amperages and 1/3 of the weight and they last much longer than lead batteries.

a certain person on this site is getting ready to make marcum shuttle replacement batteries that will be cost effective.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:05 AM »
and they last much longer than lead batteries.

a certain person on this site is getting ready to make marcum shuttle replacement batteries that will be cost effective.

I disagree that they will last much longer.  From my experience this has not been the case.  My set of 6 bamboo lithiums I had are now down to 2 functional.  Those are 5-7 years old batteries.  Lots of people get that longevity out of a maintained lead easy enough.  And then the Marcum battery...  A better replacement for that unicorn sounds like the biggest innovation for Marcum in some time.  Bravo to whomever.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:14 AM »
I believe he was referring to run-time in regards to lasting longer but I could be mistaken. I would agree that the real-world usage lifespan would correlate to your experience though. I was just looking at the energized outdoors (site sponsor) Lithium batteries. They seem to be a pretty good value for your dollar.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Got it.  Yes, run time is much better on lithium vs. Lead based on amp hour ratings.  ;D  The fast charge times have been the most beneficial feature for me.  It's nice to only need to charge for an hour or two for a full day's use. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.