The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eelpout/burbot  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Bobby T.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishaholic
Eelpout/burbot
« on: Mar 07, 2007, 06:42 PM »
looking to do some lingcod fishing.can anyone direct me to a lake in central wisconsin were i might fish?? :tipup:
Why be a couch potato..When you can be an ice spud.

Offline Hoser

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eelpout/burbot
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2007, 11:55 PM »
Well, any lake that has water is a good place to start ;D

Otherwise, I have no clue. If I would actually catch one of those ugly things, I'd probably shoot it. I think those things are the REAL Winnebago pigs!!!
Da Yoopers. The best thing since fat women and sex! --- Mutti Aho.

Offline colfax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2007, 06:11 AM »
I have caught them on Chequamegan bay west of the lighthouse through the ice. They put up a good fight. Had a 24"er turn around in an 8" hole and didn't break the surface of the water, just like an eel. I was on Chequamegan once and someone had caught about 18 nice ones and just through them on the ice and left. If you aren't going to keep them put them back down the hole!!!!

Offline Hoser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2007, 08:45 AM »
I was just joking eh!

I did catch a Sturgeon once on the Peshtigo river about 50 feet downstream from the High Falls RD bridge in front of the dam. This was July 1988 (I was 13 then). Best I remember, it was about 24 inches. I was afraid to touch it to take the hook out, so I cut the line and kicked it back into the river. When I was reeling that thing in, I actually thought I had hooked into a large tree branch cuz this thing didn't want to move.
Da Yoopers. The best thing since fat women and sex! --- Mutti Aho.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2007, 11:34 PM »
The Winnebago chain of lakes have them, but in cycles. For a couple years fish 12" to 18", everywhere. Later, a few pushing 22" to 24", then nothing for five maybe even ten years plus.   ???   Fun to catch, when you grab them, they wrap around your forearm and grab right back! Fight better than most fish!  Never ate one, or threw it on the ice to die!   :(    They deserve the following of fisher's, that pursue them!   ;D

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2007, 11:50 PM »
 They are known as "poor mans lobster"  They are really good eating!
Hoser sounds like a moron. ::)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2007, 01:17 AM »
I hear the same thing, doggbiter! Taste's like ( Poor Man's Lobster ) , I've nerved tried.   ???    Hoser, must be modifying? Nobody, can spell Winnebago on the first, second, or third try at a post, with out copying it!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.