The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wausau Area...WE HAVE ICE  (Read 14040 times)

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
Re: Wausau Area...WE HAVE ICE
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2006, 09:15 AM »
Thats the one I'll probably go to since it's close to the in-laws

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2006, 01:43 AM »
Went out today on Lake Wausau with my wife, my 14 year old daughter, and our 5 year old niece.  We only had 3 flags. I had one, but didn't get a good hookset.  My daughter had 2 flags and iced 2 fish, a 27 inch Pike and a 16 inch Walleye.  Since she became a teen, she's become less interested in fishing, but she was pretty excited, especially pulling that Pike out.  Felt good for me watching her executing everything to perfection,(I guess she does listen to me).  My wife and niece couldn't get anything,( and yes....at 5 years old she knows what to do when her flags go up).  Her Scooby pole almost had some action when we saw a pike thru the Aqua View almost nail her bait.  Teaching and watching them do what you've taught them means more to me than any fish I've caught.  Even though I missed the fish on my only flag, watching the kids have fun more than made up for it!!!  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2006, 06:01 PM »
Sounds like a great day Muskie. I started a thread earler about when to start bringing the kids. My daughter is 3 and LOVES the snow and being outside. I want to bring her when the ice is thick (if we ever get ice in SE.) Anyway there were some good stories like yours and I can't wait!
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2006, 08:49 AM »
the sooner you bring them the better, thats three extra lines man  ;)

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2006, 12:14 PM »
the sooner you bring them the better, thats three extra lines man  ;)

:tipup:  ;)2  :tipup:  :tipup:

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I was on Wausau on saturday had no flags. Wish i could have brought the shack but no room.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2007, 01:17 AM »
I was on Wausau on saturday had no flags. Wish i could have brought the shack but no room.
Glad you were able to get out.  ;D Too bad you didn't get any action, but at least you got out.  I haven't been out since Friday.  I had every intention of going out today, got up at 6am but the wind was howling pretty fierce, and I don't have my shanty out there yet (wondering if I'm even going to this season), so I opted to hang it up till next weekend.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2007, 01:28 AM »
This is my daughter and her 27" Pike she caught Friday  ;D

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #38 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:09 PM »
I was right next to the guys by the bridge. They sure got a lot of lines going on there.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2007, 01:24 AM »
Yep, they sure do.  I fish east of the bridge, just on the other side of the weeds that you can see above the ice.  Just be careful in that area, one shack went under because he was too close to them weeds, and all that rain a couple weeks back didn't help either.  I've been catching Pike in 3-5 feet of water.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:17 PM »
I thought about going on that side to. Just didn't look like a lot of people were using tip-ups when I came by. Isn't there a lot of lily pads there in the summer time.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:22 AM »
Yes, I think alot of that whole area gets pretty weeded over, almost to the point where you can't get a boat thru.  I seen some guys getting some nice perch on tip-ups along those weeds. We also caught some decent Walleye, but mostly it's been Pike.  Goodluck next time you're in the area.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2007, 12:25 AM »
Well, I was going to wait until next weekend to put my shack out.  But it looks like we'll be putting it out there Sunday morning.  It's only a 4x5x6' high 2 man permanent, but with a lil heater, it's gets nice and toasty and great place to go to get out of the wind/cold and warm up.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2007, 12:35 AM »
Here's a pic of my lil hut

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2007, 05:13 AM »
  Teaching and watching them do what you've taught them means more to me than any fish I've caught.  Even though I missed the fish on my only flag, watching the kids have fun more than made up for it!!!  ;D
One of the secrets of life. You are definitly enjoying the very, very best that ice-fishing has to offer. :clap:

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2007, 01:27 AM »
One of the secrets of life. You are definitly enjoying the very, very best that ice-fishing has to offer. :clap:

You Betchya  ;D
It happened again today, my daughter and wife out fished me!!!  ;D  You bet that makes me happy!!!!   Neither of them get out as much as I do, so when they have a great day and have alot of fun, it's well worth it to me.  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2007, 04:39 AM »
It happened again today, my daughter and wife out fished me!!!  ;D 
  :roflmao:  I know what you mean, happens all the time. At least we are good teachers right? Well, thats what I tell them anyway. ;D  :roflmao: Enjoyyyyyyy...

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:17 AM »
Well, sure enough....Sunday morning we got my shack out onto the ice, here are some pics

my wife (CEO) on the left, my daughter on the right.

and that is me and my daughter, in the distance on the right, you can see a lil white shanty, that one went in not too long ago.  You can see the line of weeds behind it sticking out of the water, well...they had it too close to the weeds, where the ice is weak to begin with, add in the warm temps and the rain and you have a recipe for disaster.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:34 PM »
Looks like your ready to go Muskie. I'm hoping this cold sticks, its good to see the ponds in my area freezing over slowly but surely. Good luck and tight lines!

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:32 AM »
Looks like your ready to go Muskie. I'm hoping this cold sticks, its good to see the ponds in my area freezing over slowly but surely. Good luck and tight lines!
That's the only reason I put my shack out there Sunday, I saw the weather outlook, and it looked promising to make some ice this week and next.  I usually don't get out during the week, (I work second shift and I stay up too late to get up early), but I went this morning from 8:30 till 11am.  I had two flags and one fish in the first hour, a 14.75" walleye.  I was getting ready to pack things up around 10:45 when I had a flag.  After I set the hook and got it near the hole, it did a total of 4 very long runs.  Finally I had a 30" Pike flopping on the ice.  ;D

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2007, 06:53 PM »
Thats a beautiful sight.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2007, 02:11 AM »
Thats a beautiful sight.

Yes it sure is.  The shack sure smelled pretty after taking that pic inside,  :P
Tonight the wife is really impressed, boiled up my pickling brine and stunk up the whole house  ;D, however, this is the face she is making.... :sick:
Gator, if you're ever in the Wausau area and want to do some ice fishing, let me know.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:48 PM »
Wish I could Muskie, believe me. No time to head up north right now, my cousin has a place on the Eagle River chain and I've been tryin to get together with him for a couple day trip. Word from up there is the ice is pretty grim there too. Oh well keep the pics comin, it's good to see someone getting some fishing!

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:58 AM »
Friday, 2 flags and 1 fish, a 22.5" Pike
Saturday, 5 flags and 2 fish, 20" & 30.5" Pike ( see pic)
Sunday, 12 flags, (in 4 hours) and 4 fish,
26", 25" and (2) 23" Pike

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #54 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Nice pike.   Can't wait till next sat. Should have a lot of flags where we are going. Went through 6 dozen shiners last year between 4 of us 4 dozen the year before in 8 hours between 2 of us. Hope it's like that again this year. Bring on the pike.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:31 AM »
Nice pike.   Can't wait till next sat. Should have a lot of flags where we are going. Went through 6 dozen shiners last year between 4 of us 4 dozen the year before in 8 hours between 2 of us. Hope it's like that again this year. Bring on the pike.
I hope so too, good luck!!!
Hope to see some pics,  :)
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #56 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:20 AM »
We didn't have as much luck on the pike this year. We had 6 of us up there picked up 8 dozen shiners and was probably lucky if we went through 2 dozen of them. Last couple of years we would have ran out. Was pretty bummed out. Hopfully better luck next year.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:55 AM »
Sorry to hear pike.  :(
Saturday, 2 of us had over 30 flags in 4 hours.  We caught 20 pike.  The biggest at 33", the smallest at 17".
Today with 4 of us, we had about 20 flags and caught 11 pike ranging from 17" to 27".  With her uncle's help (me), our 5 year old neice caught her first Pike at 17".  I must have really trained her well, when she was asked how big it was, she replied by opening her arms as far as they could go and said....."It was THISSSSSSSS BIG!!!!!"
Priceless  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Sounds like your really hammering em Muskie, good for you. I got out a couple times this weekend. Not much going on yet. Posted some pics from Sat in the Pics area if you wanna check em out.  Keep up the good work!

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:13 AM »
Yeah, we've been doing pretty good, almost too good.  This is the best we've done in many years.  I may be moving my shack in hopes to find some walleye holes.  I've got enough jars of pike pickling in the fridge, and enough frozen ones to pickle later.  Saturday we kept 2, and the rest were all released, including everything we caught Sunday.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.