New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Winter fish kill  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Winter fish kill
« on: Mar 29, 2019, 09:02 AM »
While we were enjoying a great nice long ice season on our larger bodies of water, some of the smaller ponds may have suffered. As the ice started receding from the edges of my 1/2 acre pond, I've noticed a bunch of dead fish floating. The pond is still 95% covered with ice, so it may be weeks before I know the extent of the winter kill. My hope is it wasn't to extensive. I guess it's time to look into an aeration system for the future. We did do a fish harvest in January and the fish seemed in good shape at that point. Never had this happen before, guess we'll get to see the size of the inhabitants as the larger fish tend to be affected first. Bummer..... :'(

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Winter fish kill
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2019, 06:14 PM »
hope  you didn't lose  many  rug

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2019, 07:52 PM »
My pond had a winter kill 4 years ago.lots of fish gasping for air around the edges and dead fish,anyways the pond has bounced back and somehow has different species like bass and bullhead now.was full of large green sunfish before.i havent added anything to it because it goes low in summer.its my catfish bait pond but has decent fish in it now again after the kill.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2019, 01:06 PM »
IF your pond is staying locked up for a long time, a biologist I knew told me to drill some holes here and there to allow some exchange between the water and the air.  Most under ice fish kills are caused by oxygen depletion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.