The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Is there an electric that can handle 30” of ice?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline FarNorth

• IceShanty Rookie
Is there an electric that can handle 30” of ice?
« on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Hi,

I just stripped out the clutch on my m18 fuel (1200 in/lbs model) with an 8” nils on a clam plate.  My blades got dull and the drill stripped rather than stopping.  We currently have 30” of ice where I am fishing plus snow on top and this is pretty normal after January.  I will replace the drill but would like to get something that will manage a bit better later in the season especially once it gets slushy.

Is there an electric like the 40v strike master that will manage or do I need to go to gas?  I would like an 8” hole minimum but had wondered about maybe getting a 10” for lake trout fishing if I am going to buy a second auger anyway.  It will need an extension some years.  If I need a gas auger what should I look at?  I am a buy once cry once type.

What do you think?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is there an electric that can handle 30” of ice?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:44 PM »
I read a lot of reviews about the Strikemaster you mentioned. I bought one, and love it, but have not been on nearly 30” ice. Maybe closer to 20”, and it handled that fine. I have seen a lot of youtubers who swore they would never go Electric because they were too far north, and now they all have the Strikemaster. I have a 10” and I love it.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:56 PM »
I have the Strikemaster Lithium 40v and drilled through 29”-30” of ice for the last couple of weeks with no problem at all. Drilled about 35-40 holes and still show 50% battery. It is the 8” model.

Offline slipbobber61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Strikemaster Lithium 40V. 8”.   22 holes thru 42” of ice.  50% power left

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:49 PM »
My ion 8" handled that much the last 2 years.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline FarNorth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:23 PM »
Thank you all.  It looks like the electrics will do it.  For the strikemaster the only difference between the 8” and 10” is the flighting correct?  Is it just the standard laser flighting so I can buy the 8” auger and the 10” flighting later if I want it?

Thanks again.

Offline marquette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Was on lake Osakis Monday and Tuesday with about 30 inches of ice and snow. I have a Juffy propane lite 8 in.   Drilled just fine with extension   Guy setting up beside me with the strike master 40v.  I think speed wise there was no noticeable difference between the 2 augers but he had less trouble breaking through at the bottom than I did.  Neither of us drilled more than 10 holes so battery life was no issue. The strike master seemed as tall as the jiffy so he wasn’t on his knees to get through.  I’ve noticed some of the other electric augers (or drill augers) seem a little short for comfort on thick ice. Not a very scientific review just a real world observation

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Pretty much any electric auger can handle that.  The battery may not last for as many holes but you will be able to get through the ice no problem.  I've used my Ion on 25 wtihout issue and prob drilled close to 25 holes.  The 9AH battery that comes with the Rigid Octane has even more battery life.

My Ion comes with a 12" extension (might be 10") which is necessary when there is that much ice.  I've got it on my drill setup right now bc the flight of my mora is so short.  The Rigid Octane with the Mora would drill more holes than the Ion bc the battery is better and my Ion battery is getting old at this point.

As for Strikemaster, they can go pound sand.  I'd never buy a product from them after they came out with a 50Volt electric option and discontinued it along with the batteries the following year.  Now anyone with the 50Volt version has to scramble to obtain additional batteries in the event that theirs craps out.  They didn't offer an exchange or discount to replace it with the 40volt version.  IMO that is just terrible customer service and I'd never support a company with that mindset.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Pretty much any electric auger can handle that.  The battery may not last for as many holes but you will be able to get through the ice no problem. ...

X2 above.

Finishing out the second season with my cordless hammerdrill/auger combo (DeWalt DCD996 / K-Drill 8) without any issues. No clam plate so I always hold it securely with both hands and brace tightly to the body when drilling.

Minimum 32" of clear hard ice here now topped by a good foot of snow. I installed the extension a few weeks ago. No problem drilling about four or five holes in a row with a 5Ah battery; no cutouts or overheating. Although the K-Drill cuts only a 7.5" diameter hole and not as quick-cutting as a shaver blade auger, it does so very cleanly and straight with the center bit, ripper blades and full width flighting. Does not bind at the bottom of the ice and clears ice shavings nicely with little need for scooping ... all without shooting water all over my legs and boots. It's perfect for re-opening holes, especially in the shack, and also overlapping holes for sight fishing, larger fish, etc.

On the lowest speed setting (1) the DeWalt never cuts out until the battery starts to run down. I don't usually drill dozens of holes per outing, so rarely have to swap out for the second 5Ah battery. I would love to acquire a 9Ah or 12Ah battery pack for the extra drilling capacity, but just can't justify the cost at this point.

Some elderly friends use an ION 8". It has good power and does cut very easily, but seems to turn quite slowly and they struggle to clear the ice shavings. The reverse feature, although somewhat awkward to use, is an absolute necessity for them.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2019, 03:00 PM »
my ion will drill 30" no problem, UNLESS the ice is very slushy/heavy, it struggles in wet, heavy ice

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2019, 03:32 PM »
Were you clearing your holes at all during the drilling process? I clear every 6-8” once the ice is over 16” or so

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:54 PM »
8 inch pistol bit on dewalt with clam plate works good! When ice is layered and hole is slushy lift and clean hole several times when drilling.

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Were you clearing your holes at all during the drilling process? I clear every 6-8” once the ice is over 16” or so
yes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.