New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: went thru ice  (Read 4652 times)

Offline BRUCEHOOKEDUP

• IceShanty Rookie
went thru ice
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Went to canadice lake and struggled to find lakers. Left from the boat launch east side fished our way across the lake went west and end up swimming with a solid 4' around us. Everything turned out good, but my first and hopefully last. Just wanted to say be careful on that water.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: went thru ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Glad you made it out ok.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:12 PM »
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE STORY OF NOT HOW YOU WENT IN BUT HOW YOU GOT OUT, I WENT IN AS A KID ICE SKATING YEARS AGO AND WITHOUT HELP I AM NOT SURE I WOULD HAVE MADE IT.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Your post said "our and us" so you must have been with a buddy, good thing.  Glad your ok.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:32 PM »
were you using a spud?

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Did you have picks. .

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Glad you’re okay

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Glad you made it out.

fordman

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:48 PM »
were you using a spud?
spud is no guarantee.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:59 PM »
spud is no guarantee.

It definitely helps!

Glad you made it out okay Bruce. I saw your post on LOU. It sounded like it was a brief swim. What do you think helped you get out so fast?

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Hope you didn’t lose any gear.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:18 PM »
spud is no guarantee.

then you don't know how to use one 

yes for  God sakes  were glad you made it out ok!

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Went to canadice lake and struggled to find lakers. Left from the boat launch east side fished our way across the lake went west and end up swimming with a solid 4' around us. Everything turned out good, but my first and hopefully last. Just wanted to say be careful on that water.

Canadice can be tricky out on the west side early in the season. It take a bit longer to lock up and get "safe ice".  There are some spots I have seen on the west side were you can get a bubbler from natural gas on that lake. In 90 feet of water they can move around quite a bit and impact a wide area. 4" of ice is really not a good amount that I personally feel good about on this lake over the deeper water, but that is me. With 6", I feel better in case there is some variability. It is one lake that I often wear a life jacket over my my coat when I first venture out there in the season.

I am so glad that you made it out OK. On some weekdays, you might be the only one or just one of a handful of people out on the lake and there and one can get into trouble fast if it happens.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:33 PM »
I went thru once too...before I went all the way in I just leaned to one side and "rolled out....also had a couple buddies with me that would have helped me get out....I was walking off the ice after a days of fishing....

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Thank God you made it out.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:12 AM »
I only went threw twice. I know some old timers that gone in more than that in a day. lol Not fun at all.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

fordman

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:21 AM »
glad everything turned out well and good people with you.

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:25 AM »
then you don't know how to use one 

yes for  God sakes  were glad you made it out ok!
so what is proper use, seriously. ive seen guys walk out holding a spud, they drop it at the ice one time. one foot in front of them, doesnt go thru, then they keep walking...that def isnt proper use.  and i think that is what most people do

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:16 AM »
you pound that ice 2 or 3 times in front of you then step   after you been doing it you get the feel and sound of good ice .......a spud is the most important  piece of equipment you can carry and learn how to use

heres a helpful video ....with my spud and my strengrh  3 good wacks is 3 inches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkAmWOgyQE

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:01 AM »
you pound that ice 2 or 3 times in front of you then step   after you been doing it you get the feel and sound of good ice .......a spud is the most important  piece of equipment you can carry and learn how to use

heres a helpful video ....with my spud and my strengrh  3 good wacks is 3 inches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkAmWOgyQE
Very sound advice. Do you use a spud when ice is real thick? At a foot I stop unless I am heading where there is possible current or unknown conditions.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:28 AM »
it is crazy I have seen guys put a  spud threw and keep going !  I have seen guys walk out and drill a hole every 50 feet or so seen guys  just walk out  .....crazy but that's  up to them  new ice I whack that ice solid 2 or 3 whacks then step .. once the ice gets thick I use it as beach says,  be careful guys  ...use your head

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Went thru on Sandy Pond a few years ago. Luckily i fell forward so my arms were on solid ice. Phew. has changed my attitude on ice fishing.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Good video. 

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:39 AM »
That is a great video Trapper. Also, always put the rope around your wrist! You would be surprised how fast a spud can end up at the bottom of the lake.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:57 AM »
good point I lost one years ago ...but I was opening a  old hole

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:31 PM »
sure glad you made it out ok bhookedup !
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Spudding if fine folks but you dam sure better  have a pair of ice picks around your neck. ! ! !   ;) . . . .

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:49 PM »
I'll never put a spud leash around my wrist. I went through a couple years back holding my spud. Like Trap said. I was NOT doing it right. hahaha. I'd rather not know how much of a fight it would have been to get a strap off my wrist. I gladly let it slip to the bottom of the lake to get my butt out.
My biggest mistake that day. Which I've typed over and over again. I was traversing 3" of ice. I would swing once for every 5 steps I took. I then crossed a transition between swings. Foolish by me on every account. The spud can be darn near fool proof if you use it right.
Swing it, get down with your tape measures. Swing again, measure again. Know your spud.
Also. Don't fish with the woman's ex on Valentine's day. Bad, baaaaad juju!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Ive got a pair of spuds my father built me 20 years ago.  There razor sharp and i know one whack is 3” and if doesnt go thru, neither will i.

Offline BRUCEHOOKEDUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:47 PM »
I believe what happened is the wind blew the water around from the snow melt in this spot and it thinned it down. I will have my spikes with me instead of being in my sled. I went down spun around grabbed snow on the ice and brought my left leg on the ice, then the right one and started crawling. I looked back thinking my sled was sinking with strap around my shoulder was going to take me with it. It was still floating so i pulled it on the good ice, and away i went 800 yds away to the car no stopping had to keep the blood flowing. I couldn't imagine if was -27 like it was 3 days earlier up north. I might not be typing right now. Thanks for the replies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.