New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Laker Jigging Tips  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
Laker Jigging Tips
« on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Been ice fishing for about 4 years now, been catching Lakers on tip ups and they are by far my favorite fish to chase through the ice. So this year i jumped into the jigging game. Bought an ice helix 5 chirp g2. Loving the unit so far between flasher mode and the regular 2d sonar I'm learning a lot about lake trout habits. I have had a couple good days on Schroon, but got skunked on George yesterday. My biggest issue and frustration seems to be the amount of marked fish i can get to chase, that i just can't get to eat. Im not sure if I'm either jigging too aggressively or maybe retrieving too fast, or if I'm doing the opposite and not giving my lure enough action which is in turn not making the fish chase. I feel as if I'm doing something wrong which is turning the fish off.. Or am i over thinking it and thats just fishing. Any tips from some seasoned vets on here would be awesome...
Hunting trouts.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Laker Jigging Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:27 PM »
I'm no expert but had some fun with Keuka lakers for two winters in 2016 and 2017.  Would always start with the bottom dwellers unless I saw a shallower mark.  I simply reeled my presentation up to the mark on the vex and jigged aggressively two or three times.  Then I reeled in at a fairly fast pace and watched the laker follow my jig until he nailed it.  It was a blast.  Not sure we get on Keuka laker water again this year.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:36 PM »
It's not all you.  The Lakers I was messing with Wednesday were very picky.  Had to downsize a LOT and even that only made a marginal difference.  I marked a few dozen and landed 4.  Other days you cant reel away fast enough.

Fishmon

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:15 AM »
It's not all you.  The Lakers I was messing with Wednesday were very picky.  Had to downsize a LOT and even that only made a marginal difference.  I marked a few dozen and landed 4.  Other days you cant reel away fast enough.

Crazy stuff.  We were perch fishing yesterday and lakers were hitting tiny jigs in 23 feet of water.  Perch were on fire and would suddenly disappear when lakers ripped up the jigs.  Had to laugh that fish that big would even bother with a 1/32oz. jig.  I totally agree that downsizing when fishing exclusively for lakers will sometimes get them going.  I have had good results on slow laker days by switching from plastics to a relatively small lure that vibrates and start by ripping it off bottom and reeling half way up.  They usually come screaming in from side of screen and game on.  Fun stuff!

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2019, 03:11 PM »
I had switched up baits a ton but honestly did not think of downsizing at all... appreciate the tips guys!
Hunting trouts.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2019, 04:56 PM »
what are you using for line? 10lb fluoro leaders on my rods.

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:59 PM »
what are you using for line? 10lb fluoro leaders on my rods.
10 lb power pro ice tec with 10 lb. seaguar flouro leader...  i might ditch the braid
Hunting trouts.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:31 AM »
Keep the braid you’ll want it for deeper water hook sets

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:46 AM »
Keep the braid you’ll want it for deeper water hook sets

You are giving hook set advise?  Lakers safe for another day.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:33 AM »
10 lb power pro ice tec with 10 lb. seaguar flouro leader...  i might ditch the braid

i run 3-4 feet some times even longer. try some jigging spoons or blades. ?

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Try a couple big sweeps of your rod and then let the line go slack for a free fall drop. This goes well with plastics like a Zoom tube jig that flutters back down slower. They love smacking it on the fall. Also, I stumbled across this by accident but get your spoon or jig below the fish and reel it up fast and then slow down but keep reeling.  I have had a fish chase a Kastmaster 30-40+ feet to the hole doing this before they hit.  I’m no Laker expert but love fishing for them jigging! Good luck!
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Try a couple big sweeps of your rod and then let the line go slack for a free fall drop. This goes well with plastics like a Zoom tube jig that flutters back down slower. They love smacking it on the fall. Also, I stumbled across this by accident but get your spoon or jig below the fish and reel it up fast and then slow down but keep reeling.  I have had a fish chase a Kastmaster 30-40+ feet to the hole doing this before they hit.  I’m no Laker expert but love fishing for them jigging! Good luck!
Thanks for the tips hando!
Hunting trouts.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:57 PM »
Let me add to this question....

I usually fish perch on the rod and set out a couple flags for Lakers on LG

never really tried jigging for Lakers

I have the flasher and inadvertently caught one the other day while reeling in to call it a day (watched the Laker scream up the screen and gobble my lure on the marcum.  It was cool)

Let's say I wanna give it a shot in the future.  Do you guys hole hop or just set up in an area where you know there is trout and jig
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2019, 05:24 AM »
Depends on where on LG I am fishing.  Some spots you can definelty sit tight and wait for the Lakers to come through. 

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:21 PM »
If you’re only targeting lakers a good rule to go by is, if you go more than 20-30 mins without seeing fish move. If you’re seeing good numbers of fish but not able to get them to commit hang out for awhile there’s a good chance they’ll turn on at some point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.