The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Laker addiction...  (Read 1911 times)

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Laker addiction...
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:17 PM »
.. I get it now.

Drove a little ways into NH to give it a whirl and after some fumbling and trial and error I managed to find them.

First day I must’ve drilled 50 holes and consulted my depth map a dozen times. Finally I got a mark, started reeling and it rocketed up to my jig.. only to turn around and go straight to the bottom again.
I drop back down and as soon as I did the mark came flying back up again, followed by two more marks and again, right back down to the bottom again.

This went on for probably 5 minutes with as many as 6 marks rocketing after my jig before I finally got a bump and was tight. So cool!!

That hole went quiet so I drilled another bunch of holes in a line where I thought the flat went.
Every hole I cut had fish under it!
I got lots of chases, a couple bumps but no more hook ups. It was infuriating but it was all I could think about on the drive home.
Next day I canceled my plans and went back. I opened up the previous days holes went at it. Instant chases but they didn’t come up as high and didn’t seem too serious. Then, as I’m reeling away from a slow chase, a mark comes flying off the bottom past the chaser and clobbers the jig.

I was in 38’ of water and hooked up at about 10’ below the ice. I set the hook but instead of spazzy jerks there was weight and slow thrashes. The fish instantly peeled to the bottom against a fairly tight drag. I brought it up a ways and it peeled back down again.
As I’m bringing it up the second time the hook pulls and I’m left with that moment only other fishermen understand.

I drop back down and instantly hook a perch. Then another and another.

I start bouncing holes again and had a long dry spell until I punched a few more in shallower water and the screen was lit up. Threw a few different things at them with different reactions for about 20 minutes until I tried a red Swedish pimple. I was getting chases on all the other jigs with 6 + marks going after it but they started making contact on this. Wound up icing two, lost two and multiple missed bumps.

I get it now... still no idea what I’m doing but I’m gonna be doing a lot more of it. By far the most exciting form of fishing I’ve tried in a long long time.

It’s also nice heading out with just a few jig rods, a flasher and an auger.

Iowa, I now understand why you do what you do and the miles you rack up to do it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Laker addiction...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:29 PM »
From what I read in your post, you're doing it the right way.  A good friend of mine wrote about the very tactic you are using. 

http://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/the-final-temptaion-of-ice-fishing-for-lake-trout/155638

So...now you are ruined.  Ice fishing for anything else won't be quite the same.  I'll be in NH soon...

Sunday we crunched them good:

Yesterday I had to bail from work to hit my favorite lake:

Glad you are hooked! 

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:25 AM »
First and foremost great post. Second, i have that same bug after laker fishing last year. bought all the tackle including rod, reel, etc and spent a ton of money rigging up my atv so i can drive 3 hours north and do it again. I still.love to chase panfish but the laker gig is a nice change of pace. Lastly, see you soon Jon. Very soon now. Keep an eye on this storm, it may change how mobile we are.

Just add water.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Wow, what a great read! I should not follow threads like this because I do not need to get hooked on the Lakers. Sure sounds like a blast.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Its an addiction within our loving sport.  I have not hooked any fish but, seen this tactic in person. Its an incredible rush using proper electronics and jigging up these fish in 25'-125'. Great read and report and I hope to get a laker through the ice this season time permitting. Gonna find Big browns on Saturday.

Flags up!
Ctown

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Since I suck at pike fishing thru the ice, I may as well try this, lol.  At least this will be a different way for me to not catch anything. ::)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Its an addiction within our loving sport.  I have not hooked any fish but, seen this tactic in person. Its an incredible rush using proper electronics and jigging up these fish in 25'-125'. Great read and report and I hope to get a laker through the ice this season time permitting. Gonna find Big browns on Saturday.

Flags up!
Ctown

I was going to join...I have to go to NY to grab a single muck boot I left at my buddies...

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:05 PM »
I was going to join...I have to go to NY to grab a single muck boot I left at my buddies...

Nice excuse. LMAO
Just add water.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:28 PM »

[/quote]

I bet that was you I saw hopping on the ice.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Nice excuse. LMAO

I'm being nice...he grabbed it and put it in his sled like a dummy.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2019, 02:22 PM »
From what I read in your post, you're doing it the right way.  A good friend of mine wrote about the very tactic you are using. 

http://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/the-final-temptaion-of-ice-fishing-for-lake-trout/155638

So...now you are ruined.  Ice fishing for anything else won't be quite the same.  I'll be in NH soon...

Sunday we crunched them good:

Yesterday I had to bail from work to hit my favorite lake:

Glad you are hooked!

That was a great article. Pretty much the exact technique I was using.
Out of curiosity, what are some other good techniques?

The fish didn’t seem the least bit interested if the jig wasn’t fleeing them... not sure I’ve ever met a fish that wasn’t into an easy meal so not sure how else to approach them.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:29 PM »
I could tell you but I'd have to confiscate your laker rods.  ;D

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:45 PM »
lol, if you’re calling them laker rods then finger quotes are in order..  ;)

Gonna have to do some equipment upgrades if I’m gonna keep doing that sort of fishing.

Offline tipupman123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:56 PM »
Instead of wasting gas and time...why not mail said boot...

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:01 PM »
That was a great article. Pretty much the exact technique I was using.
Out of curiosity, what are some other good techniques?

The fish didn’t seem the least bit interested if the jig wasn’t fleeing them... not sure I’ve ever met a fish that wasn’t into an easy meal so not sure how else to approach them.

Hey Jon
My nephews lake?
MA

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:42 PM »
The sound of a burning drag every weekend must never get old.

No it doesn't  ;D

Dick I sent you a pm.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:31 PM »
No it doesn't  ;D

Dick I sent you a pm.

Thanks Jon
MA

Offline Catch em Keckins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:25 AM »
That is a great post. For me, it is such a rush pulling in a tank on a downrigger rod and when you can finally see them. It can be like a personal episode of ‘Wicked Tuna’- “I got colah!”!

My question is, what would the ‘ideal’ set up be for laker jigging as far as rod/ reel/ line?  Please note ‘ideal’ has an economic consideration.  ;)
“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.”  Gen. George S. Patton

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:07 AM »
I enjoyed your report.  I used to jig for lakers out of Sebago when it froze.   I would like to try closer ro where I now live in central Massachusetts.   Any chance I could meet up with you and fish sometime?
I sent you a a PM. 

Tight lines and be safe out on the ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:54 PM »
That is a great post. For me, it is such a rush pulling in a tank on a downrigger rod and when you can finally see them. It can be like a personal episode of ‘Wicked Tuna’- “I got colah!”!

My question is, what would the ‘ideal’ set up be for laker jigging as far as rod/ reel/ line?  Please note ‘ideal’ has an economic consideration.  ;)

Doesnt need to be a ton of money.  Good drag is a must.  I use a 36" MH and a pfluger president most of the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.