New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I really didn’t want to see this again ( Cossayuna Lake DEC Called  (Read 5987 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey guys quick update . Just got off the phone with the encon officer again. Really nice guy. He called me back to give me an update. He did go out to see the ice shanty . He did get in contact with the shanty owner. He cast the blame onto someone else and did not get charged for anything. From what he told me he would personally need to seen him creating the mess with his own eyes to have it hold up in court. The shanty being his and have a complete mess around it wasn’t grounds for any charge.  He Orded him to clean up the mess ASAP and will be back to check. ( with this upcoming snow fall nothing will probably get cleaned ) if he doesn’t clean it up he can charge him. He also said more officers are going to be on the ice checking for stuff like this. So not really the best of outcome but at least they are going to keep an eye on it to prevent more trash on the ice.

I don't quite get the logic behind blaming someone else. Was ECON led to believe that a complete stranger fished next to the one (or one of the few) shanties on the lake and left it a disgusting mess?

If that's the case, Throttle you have to be the prime suspect based upon last year's video....

Again, nice job doing the right thing and reporting it. And I agree with your assumption that this will be covered in snow after Sunday. No doubt

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I guess he said it was a group of his friends that used the shanty and not him. The officer knows he did it and that it’s wrong. I guess they just need hard evidence like if he was in the video at the shanty or seen with the officers eyes. I would have liked to see that shanty dragged off the ice. But I guess that’s not the way dec does things around here

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Truly unfortunate. But, notice has been served.

A great follow-up question would be why require name and contact information on a shanty if you're not going to hold them accountable? On March 16th, when it's still on the ice, will they let him go as easy when he says his buddies used it the day before?

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Truly unfortunate. But, notice has been served.

A great follow-up question would be why require name and contact information on a shanty if you're not going to hold them accountable? On March 16th, when it's still on the ice, will they let him go as easy when he says his buddies used it the day before?

I think what it comes down to is the conviction rate .  If they don’t think it come out guilty on court they won’t wright a ticket to keep the conviction rate up.  The name and address isn’t state regulation size. They also would not issue a ticket for that. I tried every angle. The guy is going to walk with a slap on his wrist.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
fair assessment

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So let me get this straight...

DEC will not hesitate to write a ticket for doing 46 on a 45moh zone, but I can take a dump on the ice, and create a landfill and just get a “don’t so it anymore” warning?

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Plenty of DNA evidence laying around...

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac

DEC will not hesitate to write a ticket for doing 46 on a 45moh zone, but I can take a dump on the ice, and create a landfill and just get a “don’t so it anymore” warning?

Yes. That’s correct unless the officers witness the wate exiting your body onto the ground / ice  with his own eyes .

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just drove by Cossayuna and that shanty is off the ice. The person will probably venture to a different lake to crap up 🤬
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
alright, this can get moved to the grumpy old men shanty any time now

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Yup.  Worse if you are out of State.  Those troopers on 87 are brutal.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just drove by Cossayuna and that shanty is off the ice. The person will probably venture to a different lake to crap up 🤬

It is off the lake. I just checked the webcam. Looks like what ever they said to him sunk in.

Fishmon

It is off the lake. I just checked the webcam. Looks like what ever they said to him sunk in.

Good job!  Wish more people would report the slobs out there throwing crap all over the ice.   If you carry it in, carry it out.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Happy to read the the shanty has been removed and I assume area around it cleaned up. May the owner have gotten the message and his shanty not turn up on another lake in the area.
Steve

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ive never heard of DEC writting a speeding ticket and I would have to see it to believe it for 1mph over i call BS.... Second certain minor crimes "violations" need to be witnessed by the officer or the civilian witness must sign the court complaint ....

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The shanty did have a pad lock on the door and also the name and address are not regulation size for ny. I mean you can clearly see a trail a trash out the door.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
In NY your name and address has to be in 3 inch letters on the outside of your shanty. You can lock it up when not in use. Problem we've had over the years with the permanent is people setting up directly in front of it and using it as a wind break. They usually shove their trash under it. It can be a pain in the butt. I prefer my hub shanty which I can bring on any water body instead.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ive never heard of DEC writting a speeding ticket and I would have to see it to believe it for 1mph over i call BS.... Second certain minor crimes "violations" need to be witnessed by the officer or the civilian witness must sign the court complaint ....

You have never heard of DEC writing a speeding ticket?? Dang. You need to visit sacandaga, the Mohawk River or LG more then. They are like flies on poop on those waters.

The 1 mph over, ticket thing was a bit of under reach (just a example on how strict DEC can be if they want). I personally have never received a ticket, but I know a handful of guys that have for speeding and also going too fast in “no wake zones”.

I mean darn, last fall I had a DEC officer at the Mohawk launch threaten me because I was taking too long to load up my boat because I had to put my 5 year old son in the truck first... they can do whatever they want man.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Kinda like leaving fish on the ice only in reverse.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
In NY your name and address has to be in 3 inch letters on the outside of your shanty. You can lock it up when not in use. Problem we've had over the years with the permanent is people setting up directly in front of it and using it as a wind break. They usually shove their trash under it. It can be a pain in the butt. I prefer my hub shanty which I can bring on any water body instead.  ;D

adkRoy, do you know if the the owner name and address requirement applies if you are leaving a hub overnight? Contemplating doing so for a derby in a few weeks.

May sound stupid (the question AND leaving a hub overnight) but i am weighing my options, as i will be fishing the day before the derby

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Quick update on this. The dec officers spoke to the owner. No ticked given unfortunately. The shanty was removed by the owner .  Hopefully the trash was also cleaned. Thanks for all the support!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
adkRoy, do you know if the the owner name and address requirement applies if you are leaving a hub overnight? Contemplating doing so for a derby in a few weeks.

May sound stupid (the question AND leaving a hub overnight) but i am weighing my options, as i will be fishing the day before the derby

don't leave  your hub out unattended ...it only takes a  few  minutes to set up  ,just not  worth the  chance of losing it

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
don't leave  your hub out unattended ...it only takes a  few  minutes to set up  ,just not  worth the  chance of losing it

But if you do decide to leave it over night yes your name and address have to be on it pretty sure the law is if its left overnight it needs you name on it in 3inch letters
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac

That’s what I’m thinking too Trapper, but we will have a hike given we are a team of 2 sans machine. I am torn between leaving it and being lazy or hauling it back in forth on the untested, poorly built smitty I put together this weekend.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wouldn’t keep it on ice. It will get stolen or blown away. I’ve had that happen with deer hunting blinds. It will end up across the lake trashed if the wind picks up. It’s not worth the risk.  Mine takes about 2 minutes to take down.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wouldn't leave a portable out unattended.  Without looking,  I'm not sure if there is a definition between portable and permanent.  Years ago we used to call built shanties =permanent.
But for sake of discussion,  so much bad can happen to a portable,  mainly the weather, secondly a not so friendly person.
The effort is minimal to dismantle a portable.
In devils advocate,  the only reason is to secure a spot  .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.