Author Topic: DIY Spud Bar Question  (Read 516 times)

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
DIY Spud Bar Question
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I have some spare pieces of rebar laying around, and would like to make a spare spud bar.  I don't have the ability to weld a chisel or anything on to the end (nor do I know anyone who could do it for me.)  If I were to simply cut the end into a chisel shape, how effective do you think it would be? 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: DIY Spud Bar Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Rebar is pretty soft and won't hold an edge for very long. I made one years ago with a section of rebar and a piece leaf spring from a vehicle. One of the maintenance guys at work welded it for me. The spring is very hard and incredibly tough, holding it's edge for a long time. Spud will keep you safe, don't be tempted to skimp too much.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DIY Spud Bar Question
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:15 AM »
I would think that a spear edge would make it more difficult or take longer to know how to judge safe ice. Also a sharp object as such on glare ice my leave you in an emergency situation. Ideally a piece of leaf spring or  3"x3/8" flat stock or even an old lawn mower blade may suffice. Get a chunk of 3" by 1/4" or so steel in about a 5 inch length and take it to an auto body shop and ask them to quick weld it up for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.