Author Topic: Best Chair?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Chair?
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Hi all.
I'm in search of a folding chair for in and out of shack use.
I'd like to hear some of the opinions of what you think the most comfortable chair is. Obviously it needs to be folding, not weighting a ton, and have good back support. (I have back problem).
I tried 3-legged BPS chair, it was alright, but looking of other options and opinions.

Thanks all.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Chair?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:05 AM »
This was recently discussed a couple months ago.  Here's that thread that may have some good info to help pick out the perfect chair for you:  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=360447.msg3860654#msg3860654

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Many people liked the harbor freight directors chair for about $20.  I bought two,  they seem very nice for the price and I'm not usually a fan of harbor freight.  Comfortable for me and lightweight. 

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:12 AM »
I just recently picked up a folding directors chair at WalMart for 16.00 dollars.   I used it for a week in my hub shelter when spearing Northerns.  It worked well, was comfortable and I'll be getting another.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:17 AM »
I just recently picked up a folding directors chair at WalMart for 16.00 dollars.   I used it for a week in my hub shelter when spearing Northerns.  It worked well, was comfortable and I'll be getting another.
I just bought one for my wife. It is really pretty good with 600 Denier. 400 lb weight limit.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:22 AM »

Looking at them myself ..what is the true weight of them? My only concerns were the arms getting in the way for jigging and the actual room with bibs/parka on .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:31 AM »
I've bought a couple different styles from Sportsman's Guide.  Work great and I also have a bad back

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Looking at them myself ..what is the true weight of them? My only concerns were the arms getting in the way for jigging and the actual room with bibs/parka on .
Plenty of room even with bibs and parka on. Weighs about 8.8 pounds.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Plenty of room even with bibs and parka on. Weighs about 8.8 pounds.

Thanks..I have some HT Sports chairs nice weight wise for my two man flip, but wanted an upgrade for my 949I on those soon to come bitter hunker down days...and tried them all... tripod seats..oh the pain ..camping chair ..great around the fire but not on ice..like getting out of a bean bag chair it seems ..I sit on a 7 gallon bucket hole hopping with a HT padded bucket seat..its nice saves my back ..but that directors chair is nice and light and reasonably priced.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:14 AM »
I havent used one of the director chairs myself, but have seriously considered getting one if I ever get sick of the bucket seat. I agree that camp chairs can be tough to get out of on the ice. The tripod chairs are great for my posture (some of the time) but run the risk of destroying my bean bags if I lean forward. I have heard only good things about the director chairs. Some people are a big fan of the ones with the fold out arm trays with cup holders for beverages or bait pucks. and can keep a jig box and forceps on the tray etc. For those of us who are taller, they make really tall director chairs that you can stand up out of without having to bend the knees much. They also have a cross bar in the front that you can rest your feet on and keep them off the ice. This is definitely the model I have been looking at. But I havent found myself wanting to buy a chair when the bucket works well enough for me and I am still working on building up my ice fishing gear collection.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline hotrodharry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:16 AM »
harbor freight, light folds easy and comfort for 20 bucks. play your coupons right and get it cheaper!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:16 AM »
  They also have a cross bar in the front that you can rest your feet on and keep them off the ice. This is definitely the model I have been looking at. But I havent found myself wanting to buy a chair when the bucket works well enough for me and I am still working on building up my ice fishing gear collection.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

You have a link or make/model for Director chair w/cross bar?

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:34 AM »
You have a link or make/model for Director chair w/cross bar?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MAGNUM-DIRECTOR-CHAIR/2416320.uts?productVariantId=4988252&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04680205&rid=20&ds_rl=1246525&ds_rl=1246528&ds_rl=1247879&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_izmrgfdRZJE1FqWzCNqEOcuIRQUl7vWePJ3pqs33pRkVOo6z56Go3hoC5fgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.campingworld.com/tall-directors-chair
These are two I have been looking at There are a whole bunch of other ones. Sportsmans Warehouse near me has one that I have looked at and really like as well. I just havent made the purchase yet because the bucket is serving me well enough while i save up for a flasher.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline prefect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:35 AM »
harbor freight, light folds easy and comfort for 20 bucks. play your coupons right and get it cheaper!

I bought one of these today and it is life changing. I am at HF all the time, and I can't believe I never noticed these.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:57 PM »
JUST GOT BACK FROM HARBOR FREIGHT WITH MY NEW CHAIR. WONT BE AS NICE TO LOAD UP AS FOLDING CAMP CHAIR BUT IT WILL BE GOOD FOR ICE FISHING. REALLY THINKING ABOUT PULLING THE TRIGGER ON THE GUIDE GEAR OVER SIZE CLUB CHAIR...13LBS BUT BOY IT LOOKS WOTH THE WEIGHT

Offline LSHD69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:09 PM »

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Well I pulled the trigger on the Walmart Director chair ..$15 at my local ...seems a bit taller than my HT Sports chair .I had looked at these in the past ...after some members on this thread/post gave a thumbs up I looked again ..light weight should fill a niche .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Director-s-Chair-with-Foldout-Side-Table-Black/243426372

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:27 PM »
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline nadamamasboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Something to consider when looking at a chair is the weight capacity.
I’m a bigger guy and have found myself crashing through a few over the years; especially those tripod ones. The plastic joints become brittle in the cold, so I look for a 300# rating, especially since my knees are shot and I sometimes drop into the chair a little faster than I should. FYI I’m 240#s

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2019, 02:55 PM »
If not in my flip over I use the same one I use bank fishing in the summer.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Went fishing yesterday and used our new Directors chairs from Walmart. Couldn't be happier. Only bought one for the wife but the day before we went I went and got me one also.
<===Lefty===

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2019, 05:08 PM »
Went fishing yesterday and used our new Directors chairs from Walmart. Couldn't be happier. Only bought one for the wife but the day before we went I went and got me one also.
.  Lefty, what brand name of chair did you get ?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
<===Lefty===

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Hey lefty,
I hope your wife has a sense of humor if she reads your post "I just bought one for my wife. It is really pretty good with 600 Denier. 400 lb weight limit."
Tight lines,
Steve

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2019, 05:33 AM »
Hey lefty,
I hope your wife has a sense of humor if she reads your post "I just bought one for my wife. It is really pretty good with 600 Denier. 400 lb weight limit."
Tight lines,
Steve
She don't read any of my posts. If she did she would figure out I have way too much stuff. She is a buck30. Posted the 400 lb weight limit for some of the pleasantly plump women.  :roflmao: :roflmao:
<===Lefty===

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.