Author Topic: Screws in soles of boots--which glue?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Screws in soles of boots--which glue?
« on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:30 AM »
I have decided to try putting screws in the soles of my Baffin Titans because my creepers are a real PITA. I have read on here and elsewhere, though, that lots of people have had them fall out. Could some of you who have NOT had them fall out recommend a glue that I should use. thx, folks
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Screws in soles of boots--which glue?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:11 AM »
I don't personally use screws in my boots but if I were to recommend something, it would be something that remains flexible like a cold weather rated RTV  :tipup:
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:19 AM »
Get them long enough and the shouldn't fall out.
I've had mine 3 years and not lost a screw yet.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:29 AM »
too long and you'll have wet feet. i use 3/8" kold kutters ice racing screws. if you go to their web site, they have videos on how to install them. they say to go part way in and then use a different angle to complete the install. i think this change in angle helps lock them in. i didn't do this to any of my 3 pairs of boots and they fall out of my mickey's, but none of the other boots. so it depends on what the sole is made of and how you screw them in. i think glue wouldn't be able to get down into the threads. silicone would be the best option to try if i wanted to try it.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:38 AM »
I also use Kold Kutters and used to put them in with a light duty driver drill. Much better results by just using a hand driver (4 in I screwdriver). The material of the boot sole does make a difference and one thing I learned is if you kick out holes that are refreezing you will knock them off. Also driving with a isn't good for their longevity. Last trip out I lost one and I always check before I go out, simple enough to replace.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2019, 12:32 PM »
I have only ever used standard sheet metal screws for both steelhead wading and  ice fishing boots.  Have had several fall out over the years but they are easily replaced.   Never tried glue but doubt if it's worth it.  If I was using expensive screws maybe I would feel different.

CowDawg

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:50 PM »
Never used glue either... but I use 3/8" screws with the hex head... yes, one might occasionally fall out, I just replace it.   Place them in the heavy part of the lug on the boot sole... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.