Author Topic: SE CT  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
SE CT
« on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:05 AM »
I checked a few ponds in the southeast yesterday. Still some open water but it seems like a lot of places finally skimmed over on Friday night. There just wasn't enough ice to walk on yet to check thickness.
I plan on checking two ponds in East Lyme when I'm out that way this morning and will post what I find.

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SE CT
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Also checked a few pawns out that way and the most I found was two to two-and-a-half

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2019, 01:17 PM »
Getting a base going

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:01 PM »
All the East Lyme spots I checked had around an inch. More open water than I though I'd see. Stay cold!

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:12 AM »
The damn wind is keeping things open, hopefully this possible snow storm this weekend stays away too.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Gardner was roughly 1/2 wide open an hour ago. Even the shallow areas on the south end have open spots.

Offline rtolerico

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Gardner is always last to freeze, Red Cedar Lake is almost there, had more than skim tonight, maybe inch or two at best

Offline John Pavao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:59 AM »
East central ct- ponds ARE NOT safe- still pockets of open water on ponds.
BE CAREFUL.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:32 AM »
Wind finally quit last night and this morning a big lake I pass on the way to work was completely iced over, even over the deep stuff. A big pond right by my house had about an inch and a half Sunday afternoon, I bet it has 3 by now.  If the snow storm holds back a little I bet we are good to go.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:21 AM »
I'm bummed out about this storm.  I have not gotten to fish that area for 2 yrs.  My favorite pike lake is down there and I was really looking forward to fishing it thru the ice.  Looks like it will be ready this weekend while I will be in NH visiting the in-laws.  By the time I get home, it will probably be starting over....again!

I have a camper on the lake and have been trying to put a weekend fishing trip together.  Hope I get to do it this year. ???

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Well that is a drastic temp change, getting the rain instead of snow will actually probably help us

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:29 PM »
It is nice to see that big lake locked up. A good 2-3 inches at the launch but still some unsafe patches close to shore headed towards a mini island that were open just a couple days ago. Luckily it is painfully obvious where the new ice line is due to the wind over the weekend that kept the majority of the lake open. I am hoping to get out there next week maybe Tuesday or Wednesday evening.
-Josh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Small pond on the side of 95 in Waterford that had 1" by the shore on Sunday had 2.5" today about 20 yards from shore. Not a place I fish a lot but it's usually a good indicator of other waters in the SE corner. Good skating ice if you're into that kind of thing.

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:09 PM »
not sure if beach pond qualifies but it had 3.5" today all around the western cove.  trust the sounds and sights of the ice...the ice started to do long cracks as auger broke through not far into the channel section; estimated 2.75".
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

Offline sgalante

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Checked a few in the North Stonington, Preston, Ledyard area. Found at least 2" everywhere but a few spots with 3-4 and feeling pretty solid. Was solo so didn't venture too far out, but by Monday or Tuesday a lot of spots should be very fishable for the first time in a few seasons.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.