Author Topic: Line for deep jigging  (Read 860 times)

Offline Craveman85

• IceShanty Rookie
Line for deep jigging
« on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:57 AM »
What lines do you guys use for jigging Lakers in 50+'?  I've used both braid and mono. Mono stretches like a ***** and braid freezes on me. I've heard bad things about fluoro in the cold. Was going to try the copolymer stuff like suffix but will it really make a difference?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Line for deep jigging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:19 AM »
First, copolymer is really nothing special or different. All monofilament lines, mean a line that is a single (hence mono) filament are copolymer lines. There are a dozens, maybe hundreds of different nylon polymers that range in properties from super soft and limp but very stretchy and prone to breakage and abrasion to very hard and stiff where they can be so brittle it's almost like cooked spaghetti. Copolymer line take two or more of these polymers with different properties and blends them to make a line that is not achievable with a single nylon polymer and draws it into a single, clear (or colored) filament.

Fluoro is not nylon though it looks similar. Because there are also multiple polymers of fluorocarbon, it may/may not fish little stiffer and stretch more or less while shedding water similar to nylon monos.

Deep water screams for a superline but I get the freezing thing. It does help if you use a fused superline like FireLine, Nanofil, Sufix Fuse, etc. because they're smoother on the surface of the line and shed water better.Over time they will wear and get a little "fuzzy" which will not reduce line strength but it will start to collect more water. I've used a ton of Nanofil and have taken to giving the business end an occasional wipe with some silicone fly line treatment to help keep water running off. It works but has to be re-applied with use, you'll know when it's time.

Like just about everything else in life it's all about the trade-off you're will to live with.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline flatgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:11 PM »
Depending on ppound test you want to run nanofil is hard to beat learn how to tie a double uni knot and run a flouro leader or else it fray.  The other benefit if you use the same reels in the summer it’s the best casting line I’ve ever used

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:41 PM »
Some copolymer monofilament lines are less stretch feel, will be a bit more wiry or jumpy off the spool.  Try ASSO Tetramax or Stroft GTM lines.

Fluorocarbon lines, even the copolymer type like Pline Floroclear or Yozuri Hybrid will be wiry and jumpy off the spool when cold.  Traditionally fluorocarbon lines are stiff and wiry.  There are formulations of softer varities of fluorocarbon lines like Gamma Touch or Seaguar Invizx. 

When it's that cold and water freeze collects...it makes no difference to me.  In fact, I prefer to break ice with super lines when temps are like 15F or colder.  I've just received some Diawa J-briad x8 in 6# test.  This one line is box listed smaller that 4# Berkley Nanofil line.  I haven't use this in 6# yet, but have used the 10# one.  This winter season has been unusually warm so I haven't used it in real cold weather.  But I had no problem with the temps at 30F, just at the freezing threshold.  Same icing effect as nylon lines that day.

Diawa J-Braid x8 .06 mm 6# knot break 8# 4 oz
Berkley NanoFil 4# .10mm knot break 7# 5 oz.
Berkley Fireline Crystal .06 mm 1# line break 3# 5 oz.
Berkley Fireline Original .13 mm 4# knot break 6# 12 oz
Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 carrier .12mm 4# knot break 8# 4 oz.
Sufix 832 Ice Braid .10mm 4# knot break 9# 2 oz
ASSO Micro Finish braid .08 mm 10# knot break 8# 4 oz. Mfg claim break of 13.2#

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:43 PM »
I would choose-

Pline tcb 8 in 10lb .006"
Sunline xplasma 10lb .006"

The sunline is the best I have found that does not absorb water and its actually thinner then sufix 6lb braid even though sufix says its .006" which its not.
WINTER IS COMING!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.