Author Topic: Camera Tips  (Read 1824 times)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Camera Tips
« on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:01 AM »
My buddy bought an aqua Vu micro ii and we were messing around with it on the ice. It was great for scouting fish and structure, but we had a hard time dialing it in to watch a jig for light bites. Seemed like we either had the camera hole drilled too far from or too close to the jigging hole.

For those of you who use a camera frequently, any tips for how to set it up to sight fish?
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Camera Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Hey bear the ez way is ta go in da same  hole as yer lure/line can be a bit crowded but down view is effective or drill bout a boot /foot away frm fishin hole and match up lure n camera .. a vexilar could speed that part up tight lines

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:30 PM »
hey Bear , I have a aqua-vu 715 and i have it in a hole 24' away from my bait and get a perfect picture,
I do have it wired to a 24' flat screen , but great field of view .

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:30 PM »
I have a Marcum VS485C.  I drill my camera hole directly behind my hut- back edge - facing forward so it's usually just over 5' foot away from my set up. I hook a large sinker on a line and drop it down to dial in the angle of the camera.   If water clarity is the issue - I drop it down a separate hole inside the hut. Hope this helps.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:16 AM »
Camera for micro view is about 1/3 the size of the marcum and av715, unless you are using a big lure it has to be really close to see your lure clearly. To be close enough to be helpful you are going to get tangled up a bunch. I rarely keep it down now because of this and just use it to check an area out.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:36 PM »
at Lake Simcoe - 28 FOW - 5' away with small jig - I can see everything - water clarity is everything - yes it is larger in size and has some weight to it with the battery but I've had no issues.  If the water is dirty - doesn't matter what camera you have...   I like the larger size screen cuz age and eyes aren't what they used to be.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Hey Paddy, we have similar taste as I also mainly fish Simcoe and have the same hut :). What I was getting at in my reply earlier is that the aqua vu bearnoob is talking about is much smaller in every respect to both yours and timr's cameras and as such, your setups won't necessarily work for him. The aqua vu micros have a camera that is way smaller than your marcum (I have actually had a perch attack my camera on Scugog and get the whole thing in it's mouth it is that small!). Smaller camera means smaller sensor which means it pulls in less light and has less detailed picture. Also, screen is 3.5” so seeing something tiny that isn't right in front of the camera is pretty hard (anything past two feet with a small panfish jig is super hard, can do a bit further if using larger lures like a vibrado or slab grabber). Finally, the wire for the camera is about the same thickness as 10lb mono so even trying to turn the camera to line up properly with where your lure is is a real chore (and being so light the slightest current will start to turn it on you).

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:29 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I will give them a shot.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:41 AM »
Tilt the camera up /down 45 deg or straight down ...zip ties may help accomplish that ...use a flasher/sonar to set exact depth you want ..dont drop camera to he bottom ..sometimes that stirred up  silt can last quite a bit of time.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.