Author Topic: Milwaukee batteries  (Read 2617 times)

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Milwaukee batteries
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Anyone have any first hand experience on the ice with milwaukee's 12.ah batteries. I found a smoking deal on 2 of them yesterday and jumped on it. I have an idea on what to expect. Just like hearing from people first hand.  They'll be on a 2704 paired with a clam plate and 8" nils.
Fish On'

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Milwaukee batteries
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:08 PM »
U will have power to spare , battery little heavier but go all day

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:35 PM »
I've got the 12.0 and 9.0 Milwaukee batteries. No problem running in cold weather. Drills a ton of holes. I've got mine paired up with the 8" KDrill. You won't regret getting them.

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:30 PM »
I have 2 9ahs and they are fantastic, but they needed conditioning.  When I first got them, they would die quickly and hit the over current limit drilling holes. I ran them through a couple charge/discharge cycles by running a light until they were fully discharged, then charging them to full,  and repeating. After that they ran like champs. If you cycle them, make sure to let them rest for at least an hour between each step so the cells can equalize and temperature  can come down.  Also, fully discharged is when it turns itself off the first time. Repeatedly hitting the under voltage to squeeze all the power out isn't good for them.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:14 PM »
You will be good for quite a while with that setup.  You could probably drill all your holes and power your flasher for a couple of days off of one battery if your setup for it.  One thing I learned this year (after actually READING the instructions that came with the Octane) is that the LI batteries do better with long term (10+ days) storage at 50-60% charge.  That's contrary to what I'd been conditioned to believe after years of using SLAs.  Always told to fully charge em asap after use. Now if I over charge the LI's I run down with lighting like Stretch to keep in that mid range. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:14 PM »
I have 2 9ahs and they are fantastic, but they needed conditioning.  When I first got them, they would die quickly and hit the over current limit drilling holes. I ran them through a couple charge/discharge cycles by running a light until they were fully discharged, then charging them to full,  and repeating. After that they ran like champs. If you cycle them, make sure to let them rest for at least an hour between each step so the cells can equalize and temperature  can come down.  Also, fully discharged is when it turns itself off the first time. Repeatedly hitting the under voltage to squeeze all the power out isn't good for them.
.     Wow I have 7 batteries, 2 ah 5 ah 9 ah and a 12 ah and never had any problems with mine. Had the smaller ones 3-4 yrs

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:30 AM »
Stretch........
Knowing it’s an 18V battery, can you explain a little better your light setup to discharge the batteries?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:55 AM »
your unplugged charger should discharge batteries, but it may over discharge them. so you'd need to monitor the voltage.

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Stretch........
Knowing it’s an 18V battery, can you explain a little better your light setup to discharge the batteries?

I have a milwaukee 2361 rover light that runs off the 18v batteries, that is what I used. Any 18v Milwaukee light would work, you just need something with undervoltage protection that pulls a constant current. I could have (and in hindsight probably should have) just warrantied them, but I had a trip coming up, so I gave the poor man's cell balancing a shot, and it worked out. If one has an older battery that has reduced capacity, this type of refresh cycling would be worth a shot.

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:06 PM »
You will be good for quite a while with that setup.  You could probably drill all your holes and power your flasher for a couple of days off of one battery if your setup for it.  One thing I learned this year (after actually READING the instructions that came with the Octane) is that the LI batteries do better with long term (10+ days) storage at 50-60% charge.  That's contrary to what I'd been conditioned to believe after years of using SLAs.  Always told to fully charge em asap after use. Now if I over charge the LI's I run down with lighting like Stretch to keep in that mid range.

Is it ok to run a 12 volt flasher (FL8) off of an 18 V source? If so are you just using aligator clips

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Check out the Milwaukee Power Source.  I slide that on my 5ah and wired a barrel plug to usb adapter (both available online ebay etc).  Works well.  5ah lasts all day.  Cuts weight significantly. 

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Anyone have any first hand experience on the ice with milwaukee's 12.ah batteries. I found a smoking deal on 2 of them yesterday and jumped on it. I have an idea on what to expect. Just like hearing from people first hand.  They'll be on a 2704 paired with a clam plate and 8" nils.

Care to share where the smoking hot deal was?  Link?  Sharing is caring...

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I see that now.   At $29 it will be one more tool in my arsenol .
Thanks

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Check out the Milwaukee Power Source.  I slide that on my 5ah and wired a barrel plug to usb adapter (both available online ebay etc).  Works well.  5ah lasts all day.  Cuts weight significantly.
   Baetis62 To take 18volt to 12volt What kind and brand of usb adapter do you use?

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I misspoke...I actually had to go pull my harness out of the garage to verify.  I use the USB on the Power Source to run my LED Lighting but I made up a connection for my Marcum that uses a 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC Barrel Coaxial Power Plug.  I got one with bare wire pigtails off ebay for under $5.  That's spliced into an extra battery connection component available from Marcum...see below.  Works great for me but I'd hate to see anybody damage their electronics.  The first time I connected and powered up I was pretty nervous but Iv'e experienced no problems.  There are threads on here where people who are smarter than I am discuss this setup.

One battery to drill your holes with the Fuel and run your flasher.  The 5ah could run out of juice if you have thick ice or drill a lot of holes but it sure cuts down on the weight.  That 12ah battery would last quite a while.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2019, 01:21 PM »
   Baetis62 To take 18volt to 12volt What kind and brand of usb adapter do you use?

Here's the info on how to hook it up;
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348722.0
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2019, 04:40 PM »
I can't imagine you needing 2 batteries. I have a 9ah battery and drill holes all day and the battery is still full charge at the end of the day.

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:32 AM »
Care to share where the smoking hot deal was?  Link?  Sharing is caring...

DN

Sorry, it was from an individual on Facebook.
Fish On'

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:56 AM »
I can't imagine you needing 2 batteries. I have a 9ah battery and drill holes all day and the battery is still full charge at the end of the day.
I always suggest 2 batteries over one.
I would sure hate to wander all the way across a lake only to find out the only battery didn't take a full charge even though the indicator showed that it did.
I use a 9 amp/hr for my MudMixer, 5 amp/hr for my Vex and a "spare" 1.5 amp/hr just in case, it's only an extra pound and may save the day.  ;)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Agreed...I get so few days out that I don’t want to lose a day if I don’t have to.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Hey Stretch.....
A final question on conditioning the batteries.  Any thought whether discharging them fast or slow would matter.  Obviously the high setting on my M18 light will get done quicker, but if a slow full discharge is better, so be it.  Maybe it doesn’t really matter?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:56 PM »
None of the 6 batteries I have bought over the years needed “conditioning”  that’s what a warranty is for !!

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Hey Stretch.....
A final question on conditioning the batteries.  Any thought whether discharging them fast or slow would matter.  Obviously the high setting on my M18 light will get done quicker, but if a slow full discharge is better, so be it.  Maybe it doesn’t really matter?
None of the 6 batteries I have bought over the years needed “conditioning”  that’s what a warranty is for !!

This ^ if your batteries are new. If they are out of warranty, then I would lean towards a medium amp load. Even on low my light sucks a 9ah  dry pretty quick, so 1-2 amp draw should do just fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.