Author Topic: Flambeau Fishing Rod Case Review  (Read 4870 times)

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flambeau Fishing Rod Case Review
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Thanks to a forum member here for the suggestion of a good ice fishing rod case holder I bought the Flambeau bun box rod holder. It is original meant for rods 6ft or longer but it works just as well for ice rods. I did a little video if anyone is wondering what it looks like inside and how I placed my rods. Let me know if you have any questions. I've used it for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it!

Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flambeau Fishing Rod Case Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Just purchased one after seeing this, thanks for taking the time. I've been on the hunt for an affordable but rugged case and this seems to fit the bill, however I take 6 rods with me so hopefully I can figure out a way to fit em all in there.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Nice review, thanks for sharing.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:34 PM »
their fly box's are great for jigs and small spoons. they float and hold on to your tackle very well. their latching system makes them super nice and the rounded corners and edges.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:41 PM »
Looks exactly line the Eagle Claw hard case I have. I got 6 rods in it now.

jbird68

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Just purchased one after seeing this, thanks for taking the time. I've been on the hunt for an affordable but rugged case and this seems to fit the bill, however I take 6 rods with me so hopefully I can figure out a way to fit em all in there.
I have the Eagle Claw case which is the same thing without the foam on the inside of the top and the latches are red. I have six rods in it. Five with spinning reels and one with an inline reel.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:17 PM »
How could that be meant for 6ft or longer rods? looks nice though.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:19 PM »
How could that be meant for 6ft or longer rods? looks nice though.
. 2 piece rods

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:22 PM »
. 2 piece rods

oooooo, duh, the only 2 piecers I have are surf rods and still wouldn't fit in there, but I could see that being nice for those 3 piece travel rods if you are shipping gear around.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:29 PM »
I have the Eagleclaw case also. I have 6 rods and 4 3600 size stow boxes in it.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:48 PM »
oooooo, duh, the only 2 piecers I have are surf rods and still wouldn't fit in there, but I could see that being nice for those 3 piece travel rods if you are shipping gear around.
. Curious as to how long your surf rods are? How much do they breakdown and how do you transport them?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:30 PM »
If you have 12' two piece surf rod, that would be about 6' and some inches each.  Most surf rods start at about 8 1/2' to start with.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:26 AM »
The box is 43" long so you'll have to carry surf rods in a tube probably. You probably won't be carrying  any rods over 6 1/2' in this case. Works good for ice rods but it's a bit big. But... I don't need to bring my tackle bag with me any more. I used to keep my tackle bag in the back of my clam while I fished but this case is too big for that so now I keep it outside next to the clam so if I need to change a jig or add a splitshot or something I have to flip my lid and open the box to get my jigs. Biggest worry I have is on a windy day all my gear might end up on the other side of the lake before I know it's gone! I'm thinking on adding a tether and anchor to keep it near me.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:34 AM »
You'll be able to fit 6 rods no issue there. may have to be creative as to how you store them but my buddy takes 6 rods with him.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:35 AM »
I have the Eagle Claw case which is the same thing without the foam on the inside of the top and the latches are red. I have six rods in it. Five with spinning reels and one with an inline reel.
I really like that eagle claw case as well, how much did that run?

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:35 AM »
The box is 43" long so you'll have to carry surf rods in a tube probably. You probably won't be carrying  any rods over 6 1/2' in this case. Works good for ice rods but it's a bit big. But... I don't need to bring my tackle bag with me any more. I used to keep my tackle bag in the back of my clam while I fished but this case is too big for that so now I keep it outside next to the clam so if I need to change a jig or add a splitshot or something I have to flip my lid and open the box to get my jigs. Biggest worry I have is on a windy day all my gear might end up on the other side of the lake before I know it's gone! I'm thinking on adding a tether and anchor to keep it near me.
Dang, I wish I included the length of the box.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:44 PM »
. Curious as to how long your surf rods are? How much do they breakdown and how do you transport them?

I have a 9' and a 10'. Both are 50/50 split 2 piece. I have an SUV so they just barely fit even not broken down. The ten footer I usually break in half.  I've never taken them on a big trip or anything though so I don't have tubes and stuff if that's what you are looking for.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:55 PM »
No, was just curious. Never been surf fishing. Thanks for the info.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2019, 02:34 PM »
No, was just curious. Never been surf fishing. Thanks for the info.

There is nothing quite like hooking a 30lb fish while getting pounded by waves, if you ever get the chance you should definitely try it out.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:55 PM »
The difference between the Flambeau and the Eagle Claw (besides the foam on the lid) is like has been said the Flambeau is made to fit four 6' two piece rods and the Eagle Claw is actually made for Ice rods. So, if you look at the foam inserts in the Eagle Claw you will notice that the foam inserts have spots cut for the rod handles that are offset so you can fit six ice rods in them. The Flambeau just has spots cut for the handles and the top half of the rod that are all in line and not offset.

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:22 PM »
The difference between the Flambeau and the Eagle Claw (besides the foam on the lid) is like has been said the Flambeau is made to fit four 6' two piece rods and the Eagle Claw is actually made for Ice rods. So, if you look at the foam inserts in the Eagle Claw you will notice that the foam inserts have spots cut for the rod handles that are offset so you can fit six ice rods in them. The Flambeau just has spots cut for the handles and the top half of the rod that are all in line and not offset.

I can cram 9 rods in my eagle claw due to the offset cutouts, with some overlaps, but 6 will fit real nicely and easily. Aside from the shear size of it, it is a real slick setup.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2019, 12:04 AM »
How much is an eagle claw rod case?

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:46 PM »
How much is an eagle claw rod case?

I got mine for $39.99 shipped.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:35 PM »
I got mine for $39.99 shipped.
Where did you get yours? I am interested in getting something new.
<===Lefty===

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:51 PM »
most places are sold out now.  i just ordered one tonite from reeds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.