Author Topic: SMITTY SLED ...  (Read 566 times)

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
SMITTY SLED ...
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Just finished my first "SMITTY SLED".  I plan on pulling my CLAM shelter with it and hope it's all that they (Smitty Sleds) are cranked up to be. If your thinking about building one you can view all the details from start to finish on myYouTube channel. I'm heading to Canada next week to give it a run!

I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SMITTY SLED ...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I made a similar sled. How did you cut out the pockets for the X beams?  I found that a bit awkward and a rough looking bottom to the pocket. I used a chop saw and made a multitude of parallel cuts until the pocket was slightly wider than the beam. There must be a better/slicker way?

BTW--I live in Canada. I'll keep an eye out for you and you sled when you come up!! :) ;) ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SMITTY SLED ...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Hello SirCranksalot !
I made the multiple cross cuts for the 2x3 beams in the uprights with a standard power saw.
Set the cut depth to match the 2x3s. Then knocked them out with a hammer. Finished the
bottoms of the cuts with a wood chisel for a decent finish. Somehow the video missed those
little details.

Anyway, I will be fishing various lakes around the Westport area and hope to get on
Loughborough Lake for a shot at a Laker, eh! (it's on my bucket list).
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.