Author Topic: Advice needed!!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Advice needed!!
« on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Hey everyone.

Got a big fishing trip in March and taking out a bunch of friends and family who don’t fish much so I will be supplying most of the gear.

I am looking to swap out some of my old reels on some of my pike rods and some of my walleye rods.

Looking for suggestions on a pike reel and a walleye reel. Looking at the 40-70 range.

Also do you guys prefer baitcast or spinning for pike? 

Thanks guys.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Advice needed!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:09 AM »
For pike rods I've come to prefer a baitcaster mostly because I run heavier line and lures. I've made a couple of my open water bass reels work for ice that's been easy. I'm actually in the process of assembling a couple more combos so I've been shopping too. My plan is eBay for a couple of cheap BCs. First, you're not casting so you don't need 11 million ball bearings or crazy high retrieve ratio. Because there's a freespool button even the drag doesn't need to be great, just serviceable. Next, that reel will be little more than a line holder so consider capacity. 50 of 30# Dacron is usually plenty for a tipup so you can spool with that if you want or pile on some superline or mono. It won't have to be a huge reel, no bigger than a "200" series.

Just missed a used Quantum EX501 (lefty) for under $15. Someone nodded off waiting to snipe it  ::). There are some Bill Dance reels that look like they can be had for around $20 new that are pulling me unless something else pops up. If you're planning on $40-70 new you'll get something decent. Stick with a brand you know if you can: Daiwa, Shimano, ABU, even Bass Pro brand aren't bad entry level reels.

Walleye reel? Pflueger President runs $50-60 and are great reels
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:03 AM »
X2 on the Pflueger President's for walleye.  I run the older 6520's and have had no issues - not sure yet how the newer version will perform out on the ice, but the one I recently picked up appears to be as good.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:36 PM »
I prefer Shimano spinning reels and there are reels in many price ranges, pick the one you like. Mine are a few years old, Syncopate and Solstice trigger reels both under 100 bucks. Most of my spinning reels are all in the 1000 size, I use nothing but super line and I can get lots of line on the size 1000 for the fishing I do.   I don't target pike to much but use a baitcast for pike when I do. There are many good reels in your price range by a few manufactures, have a look around.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:22 PM »
My biggest consideration has always been lure weight.  Obviously at 1/4 oz weight or more, any low profile baitcasting reel pretty much works.  I've run as cheap as a $20 plastic baitcaster to rather expensive ones from my open water rigs.

As far as spinning reels goes, the UL reels like Shimano 500 series or Pflueger 20 series will work just fine, but I'm the type who like to go up one size and use the 1000 size or the 25 size.  It all comes down to balancing the entire set up.  My preference are slightly longer rods, so these reels fit my 32" length rods better for me.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:05 PM »
X2 on the Pflueger President's for walleye.  I run the older 6520's and have had no issues - not sure yet how the newer version will perform out on the ice, but the one I recently picked up appears to be as good.
use the older 6520 reels on all my open water panfish rods. Usually switch back and forth from soft to hard water? Last season The little local bait and tackle shop I give my business to had only the newer models. She has a hard time competing with BPS so I will spend a couple of dollars over what they charge the new models work as good or better on the ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.