Author Topic: Need help picking reel for new rod  (Read 1432 times)

Offline 603outdoorz

• IceShanty Rookie
Need help picking reel for new rod
« on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:38 AM »
I just ordered a 28" Fenwick Elite Tech ML rod and need help finding a reel to match to it in the $30-50 range. I haven't ice fished in years but heard that was a good "all around rod" so hopefully I didn't just waste my money lol. I was looking at the Tica SS800 but wasn't sure if that would be too small for a ML rod. I am open to any suggestions in my price range. Thank you.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Need help picking reel for new rod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:50 AM »
My son has that exact rod and loves it.  He has it paired with a Pflueger President, I believe a size 25.  These are very smooth reels with great drags.  They run about $50-60.

Good luck with your search.

Edit ... I just looked up the Tica SS800 and I think that reel would be too small and light for the Fenwick.  It will be "front heavy".  If you don't care how the setup balances, it would probably work just fine, though.

Offline 603outdoorz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:33 AM »
My son has that exact rod and loves it.  He has it paired with a Pflueger President, I believe a size 25.  These are very smooth reels with great drags.  They run about $50-60.

Good luck with your search.

Edit ... I just looked up the Tica SS800 and I think that reel would be too small and light for the Fenwick.  It will be "front heavy".  If you don't care how the setup balances, it would probably work just fine, though.
Thank you. That was my concern about the Tica, I'm glad I asked. The President 25 does look nice but Pflueger's sizing is kind of confusing to me. It looks like their size 25 is somewhere in between a 500 and 1000 size Shimano. 

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Okuma Ceymar C-10, Mitchell 310, Pfluger President, are all good choices in the $30-60 range, watch for sales.
"Balance in all things"

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2019, 01:05 PM »
I got a Fenwick Elite rod last year, and paired it with a BlackBetty Freefall. So far, I have been wildly successful in making everyone else in the ice shack jealous with it.

Offline ranger10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2019, 01:12 PM »
Have been really happy with my Pfluger Trion 20 reels. I have them on all of my rods. They are basically a Shimano 500 size reel and I think they are only like $30.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2019, 03:05 PM »
If you like to hold the rod like a pencil I would highly recommend the 13 wicked long stem reels. They are around $35. I have them on all my rods. Better than the pflueger Trion I have. I exclusively fish pflueger in summer too.

Black Betty free fall is also a reel I would like to try.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2019, 07:30 PM »
I like the Pflueger President in a size 25 for this rod.  I have this setup.

Offline 603outdoorz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone I really appreciate it

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:27 PM »
For that price shimano sienna, even better a shimano sedona...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:02 PM »
If you think you'd be more comfortable with a slightly larger reel, don't overlook this gem.  At 6.4 oz, it's nearly as light as a Stradic Ci4+ 1000.  I have read nothing but rave reviews as well.  It's on the high end of your price range, but I would seriously consider it if looking larger than a 500 size reel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778V125J?th=1&psc=1

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:04 PM »
check these out.

OKUMA CEYMAR

Offline 603outdoorz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:54 PM »
If you think you'd be more comfortable with a slightly larger reel, don't overlook this gem.  At 6.4 oz, it's nearly as light as a Stradic Ci4+ 1000.  I have read nothing but rave reviews as well.  It's on the high end of your price range, but I would seriously consider it if looking larger than a 500 size reel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778V125J?th=1&psc=1

DN
I was planning on going with the President 25 but checked the thread right before I made my order and saw your suggestion. I watched a few YouTube reviews on the Daiwa and ended up going with the Legalis LT. It came in today and I gotta say I don't think I could do any better for the price I paid. The black and gold color scheme goes really well with the green rod too lol. Can't wait to get it on the ice. Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me suggestions, I really appreciate it and am excited to be a member of the community.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I was planning on going with the President 25 but checked the thread right before I made my order and saw your suggestion. I watched a few YouTube reviews on the Daiwa and ended up going with the Legalis LT. It came in today and I gotta say I don't think I could do any better for the price I paid. The black and gold color scheme goes really well with the green rod too lol. Can't wait to get it on the ice. Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me suggestions, I really appreciate it and am excited to be a member of the community.

:thumbsup:

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.