Author Topic: Propane tank expiration  (Read 2469 times)

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
Propane tank expiration
« on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Well I guess I didn't realize that propane tanks now expire only 10 years after manufacture and not 12.  I guess the law change a year or two ago. I didn't know.
I looked it up and in fact it does expire 10 years now instead of 12.  Went to have my tank filled and they informed me it's been 2 years expired.  Luckily they still filled it anyway and told me next time I'd have to buy a new one.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Propane tank expiration
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Why not have your propane supplier recertify your tank? It will be good for another five years.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Beefie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Yeah this new law sucks, it used to be you could buy a tank and have it forever. Now its only good for 10 years then you can have it recertified every three years up to five times then it needs to be destroyed. It stinks because the not common 5lb and 10lb tanks cost way more than a 20lb tank.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:27 AM »
When I can't get a tank refilled I take it to someplace that exchanges tanks and get a replacement.  Haven't been told no yet. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:30 AM »
When I can't get a tank refilled I take it to someplace that exchanges tanks and get a replacement.  Haven't been told no yet.
.       Home Depot is where I take them

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Might do this next time

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2019, 01:30 PM »
the exchange places only take 20 exchanges

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:10 PM »
hmmmm....I wonder if the special carbon fiber something tank with the see through tank level indicator expires in that short time too?

My tanks are already at that ten year mark or older.  I better look at the mfg date on them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2019, 12:12 PM »
It is pretty cheap and quick to get them recertified. Just saying.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2019, 03:08 PM »
where do you go and how much does it cost to get tanks re-certified? 20 pound and 1 pound is what i would want to know about, but mostly 1 pound. the 1 pound cost 15$ bucks new.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Im wondering how much for a updated valve and recertification on my 11 pound pancake tank.bought it for $4 at a garage sale full of propane plus a sunflower heater on top.ive been refilling it myself.the 11 pound pancake style tank is Stable and low profile.they are sweet.probably stop into hopkins propane one of these days.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:49 PM »
I had 2 10lbers recertification, new valves installed, and filled for $30.00 each. 5 years ago. They expire the end of January. I'll find out then what it costs.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Still cheaper to get a recert than buy new. I don't know that anyone will recert a #1 tank. They are either disposable or part of a refill kit. No propane vendor, to my knowledge, is equipped to refill #1 tanks.

I've got a #5er ready for the process. Depending on the weather and my travels this year I may wait until next year to kick the can down the road a bit.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Well I guess I didn't realize that propane tanks now expire only 10 years after manufacture and not 12.  I guess the law change a year or two ago. I didn't know.
I looked it up and in fact it does expire 10 years now instead of 12.  Went to have my tank filled and they informed me it's been 2 years expired.  Luckily they still filled it anyway and told me next time I'd have to buy a new one.

Here in Westfield, MA you just go to Walmart and exchange for a new full tank at $14.95. They don't look at your old tank expiration. Just glance at the
date on your new one. Hopefully it's only a few years into the time zone or pick and choose a good one.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:18 AM »
Here in Westfield, MA you just go to Walmart and exchange for a new full tank at $14.95. They don't look at your old tank expiration. Just glance at the
date on your new one. Hopefully it's only a few years into the time zone or pick and choose a good one.

This is exactly what I do here also. Easy peezy to get a new tank and it really dont cost that much extra
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Just called the local propane distributor about getting my tanks recertified, and they said there is no charge to do this. Just the cost to refill.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:12 AM »
I have never had to pay for re-certification of a propane tank and I believe my 11 lb pancake tank needs to have it done at the next fill.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2019, 12:53 PM »
If you want to know how long your tank is good for and what the frequency of re-certification look here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/part-178/subpart-C

All compressed gas cylinders over 2" in diameter are required to by hydrostaticly tested. Some cylinders have a end life of so many years of service, but most are on condition and permanent expansion when static tested.

The cylinder type and MFG date will be stamped on the crown of the tank. If its been tested it will be identified by the month in 2 digits, then the 4 letter identifier of who performed the last re-cert, and then the year after that.

Its usually under $15 to recertify

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.