Author Topic: Pop up skis for ice shanty  (Read 6765 times)

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pop up skis for ice shanty
« on: Dec 31, 2018, 01:16 PM »
saw this on a facebook site and made use of it on my sled and put together a YouTube video to show how it works. its coffee table lift hinges.  its pretty stable and even tho I have not tried it out yet I think its going to work great. ill report back once I get it out.  here's a link to the hinges https://www.ebay.com/itm/142797879682 and  here's the video 
a

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pop up skis for ice shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2018, 02:19 PM »
I just did this with my Eskimo evo1 it.  I put bolt eyelets on the skis to put less stress on the hinges instead of pulling from the plastic sled...

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:14 PM »
good suggestion I may give it a shot

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:04 PM »
drill 1/2" holes in the tips of the skis - long tow rope with carabiners. My rope is 18' end to end.    quick and easy.   leaves you plenty of room between you and the sled while pulling it.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Toph19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Not sure if mine was the original you saw but im glad too see it catching on. I like the eye bolt idea. Might have to modify mine for that. Would work great to put a bungie net underneath the platform on mine to keep misc gear in place

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Did you guys put any type of reinforcement inside the sled? I would think that if for some reason you start to get a side load on it in the up position, it could cause some issues.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:13 PM »
Wow im glad i stumbled on this thread because im gettin rid of a coffee table that goes up n down jus got ta figure out how ta use the spring loaded brackets...thanks guys got those wheels a turnin...

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:49 PM »
I put 1/8" x4" aluminum the length of both sides to stiffen it up.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:47 AM »
I built 1 that goes up down about 5 yrs ago never really fine tuned but it worked well, I made a smitty  out of aluminum tubing which  my 1 man flip would fit into with skis for runners  I then  placed right angle aluminum on skis 4-5 inches long 4 places on skis that I drilled and placed bolt thru , to 12 inch legs 1 inch sq aluminum   , this allowed legs to go up and down. I then made 4 5 inch right angle brackets on the aluminum frame that went around the tub of the hut and hooked up the same way. this allowed the hut to raise up and down with my help of course.    as I cobble my thru want I had in my mind. I came up with 4 springs which hooked to upper frame , top of 2 legs  to bottom of  the othe other 2 legs. in essence just like coffee table deal. when I step on ends of skis and pick up a little the 4 springs help lift the loaded tub up with ease to a height of 10 inches over the ice. I drilled hole in the rear top  of legs and use a quick pin to lock it to a vertical angle on back this keeps back from spreading when pulling the front I have a hole drilled in each  front leg which allows for a bungee to be stretched and hooked with ease. this gives the whole setup stability.  probably not enough to drag behing 4 wheeler but for pulling works fine.. when I get where im going I can let it down or just drag tub out of frame and fish.  when I get back to truck I let set up down with my tub and contents in tub and pick up front  place on tail gate the pick up back and slide in . just fits under cover.   still a work in progress . but eventually will be fine tuned.  the frame and skis gives me the length to place 1 end on tailgate and lift the other. if theres no snow then  it gives me length to pull out of truck drop 1 end and pull hut out of frame and go,   sliding frame back in till I come back.  sounds like a cluster im sure but works well and saves back,  until I get pic ,, hope it helps someone with some new ideas, I seen the original on here years ago woth just wood and pivot points.  cant remember who it was but was and original idea from him , I cant take no credit .  im not much for words and explain  but hope people can make a little sense of what I said . goodluck stay safe
youngster

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:14 PM »
I also used fender washers on the inside of the tub for mounting.

Offline mhahn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:35 PM »
How do you guys like this mod?  Is it holding up ok???? Thanks mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.