Author Topic: Electric augers  (Read 4682 times)

Offline DEVILSMAINEIAC

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric augers
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:12 PM »
What are your thoughts the battery augers? What do you like better?
I've used the ION, works great, but only comes with 1 battery. I've heard ppl like the Strikemaster that comes with an extra battery an is only a little more. Just looking for opinions b4 I buy. Any input  on other brands will be great!!!!

Offline Mandalore

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Electric augers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:25 PM »
I have the Ion X. I love it and would do it all over again. I had many reasons for buying it over a gas auger. I will say the reverse is nice but hasn't worked as well as they say. A battery is full at 3/3 charges, I cut about 28 holes through 20" of ice, and only went down to 2/3 on the charge. I would recommend in the 8"

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:51 PM »
don't forget about trophy strike.
https://trophystrike.com/product-category/auger/

i use drills on hand augers.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:55 PM »
And if you want even more power than drills or the ION or Lazer, look at the Milwaukee Fuel M18 :

-  Mud Mixer
  -  Hole Hawg
  - and the mother of all the Super Hawg

They all have a great form factor and an internal gear box that reduces RPMs and increases torque.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:33 PM »
I have had the 8" Ion for a couple years and am very happy with it so far. Most areas I fish I have gps'd so don't drill a lot of holes in a day any more. Reverse is nice when I fishing in the shack............and no smoke or PIA trying to start.

Offline DEVILSMAINEIAC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Watching YouTube, the strikemaster cuts faster and cabelas has them with an extra battery might be leaning towards that one. 

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:40 PM »
I have a two year old 10" Strikemaster and love it.  Mine only came with one battery. 

Last year I had the sled packed full and the auger rolled off and landed battery first on the ice.  The battery broke into two pieces.  One call to customer service and they replaced it for free.  Only cost me shipping to send the old battery back.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:24 PM »
I have had the Ion (I think second generation, no reverse) for about 5 years now and love it.  My only complaint is the blades.  Watch out for dirty ice with those blades.  I've been through several sets and they don't really re-sharpen well.  They are relatively cheap to replace so I carry a spare set with me at all times.  I've only ran out of juice on the battery once and I drilled more holes than I can count on almost 2 feet of ice.  however, with that much ice we had the trucks out there and the rams have an outlet that I could charge the batter back up.
westernmas on the finder

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:23 PM »
I have an Ion 8” with reverse and it’s great. I have the upgraded x battery and cut many holes thru 4 foot of ice on Lake Winnepeg last March. Did have the charger in my pickup to recharge the battery once in awhile but auger worked great. Trying to pull slush out of 4 feet of ice now that’s a treat. Lol

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:02 PM »
I got the Ion x last year and love it. Chose it over a gas auger because there is no maintenance and my buddy is constantly replacing gas caps, pull cords, and carburetors on his gas augers. I always put the battery in a warm cooler just to be safe on those really cold days in (not a big deal for me because I carried that cooler before the auger for my phone and spare gloves). Only noticed a loss in power once when I left the auger battery-down on the ice, but it was fine soon after.

Should mention I was originally going to buy the Strikemaster 40V, but they were sold out around me. I do not regret getting the Ion.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Another ION guy here - no complaints with it at all.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I have a Rapala 43cc auger & my buddy has an ION. I hardly use my auger now.
If I was to buy again it would be an ION.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:44 AM »
I’m a drill setup guy myself. But if I were to go dedicate electric auger, I’d go with strikemaster, they aren’t going to just disappear. Though the ion sounds like it’s going to stay, I’d sure hate to be in the same boat as the ice gator owners.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Have the Ion x. Once you use one in a hard shack, there's no going back to old stinky. If the gas is a few seconds faster, who really cares. Reverse flush gets you fishing while the gas jockey is cleaning his slush out of the hole.

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:47 PM »
I have the Ion X. I love it and would do it all over again. I had many reasons for buying it over a gas auger. I will say the reverse is nice but hasn't worked as well as they say. A battery is full at 3/3 charges, I cut about 28 holes through 20" of ice, and only went down to 2/3 on the charge. I would recommend in the 8"

So the battery gets her done all day in -20C? Been waiting for boxing day, I really want one.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:34 PM »
 I got the ION X 8in as soon as I could order it, had 1 of the early ones that had the ice up issue on the bit (the replaced it no questions asked and quickly). Overall very happy with the auger, works great and never ran the battery dead yet. The most I drilled in a day was 30 holes thru 2ft of ice.

For smaller holes I had been using a 6in Laser hand auger attached to an older Dewalt hammerdrill (non brushless and old NiCD batteries), upgrade this year to a K-Drill with a M18 FUEL. So far I have got 50 holes on 1 battery with 50% left.

I do keep the batteries for the ION X and the M18 in a soft side cooler and when it will be very cold  I will probably thru a small hand warmer in there just  in case

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Strikemaster 40v for me.

Nothing but great things to say about it.

Not as light as my drill setup but I prefer the strikemaster. 8" hole and battery lasts all day
 I dont have to carry it on me or keep warm. I let that auger sit out last season in sub zero temps and it worked flawlessly when I needed to pop more holes.

I never intend on using a gas auger again.

I posted a review on it last season.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Was gonna ad to this thread that if Ion would come up with a 9” bit it would be Awesome.. 8” without hole covers does freeze in a lot quicker therefore losing hole diameter and 9 would be perfect.....👍

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Still happy with the X. I cut a lot of holes and have never worn the battery out yet but I've never had 4 feet of ice either. I don't even bother keeping it warm anymore. Slush sucks but it sucks for all augers, electric or gas. I never really cared much about the reverse for clearing out slush as it never seemed to work that great. But after playing around with it if you are lined up perfectly with the ice hole and the the auger isnt banging off the sides, it blows out 99% of the slush.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:58 AM »
So the battery gets her done all day in -20C? Been waiting for boxing day, I really want one.

Yes. I've had mine out at or below -20 F, which Google tells me is about -28 C.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:17 AM »
TrophyStrike 120 volt unit.

Bought one last year and this thing is a beast.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Yes. I've had mine out at or below -20 F, which Google tells me is about -28 C.

Sweet thanks!
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:27 PM »
I just got to try the Jiffy E6 Lightning on Sunday, and it worked great. Our ice is only 6" right now so not much of a trial by fire. I can tell already though that the new Eskimo P1 Rocket that I got last year will be mothballed. The reverse worked good for slush too, I never had to scoop a hole. I have the 10" auger which is geared down to 24:1. Cuts really well so far.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2018, 04:10 PM »
TrophyStrike 120 volt unit.

Bought one last year and this thing is a beast.

x2

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Was gonna ad to this thread that if Ion would come up with a 9” bit it would be Awesome.. 8” without hole covers does freeze in a lot quicker therefore losing hole diameter and 9 would be perfect.....👍
Jiffy E6 Lightning takes their 9 inch flite. The only 9 inch I know of.
Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:59 AM »
I do keep the batteries for the ION X and the M18 in a soft side cooler and when it will be very cold  I will probably thru a small hand warmer in there just  in case

Ditto. I toss in a non-insulated steel water bottle with some hot coffee in it.

Offline Smelt 63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Save sume for seed
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Jiffy E6 Lightning takes their 9 inch flite. The only 9 inch I know of.
  I am the same. I got the Jiffy E6 in 8" and one thing for shire is the jiffy's blades last a lot longer then the rest do and the handles and auger all fit the gas and the E6 and jiffy has the most hole sizes out there. They are a very great  company to work with if you have terrible with it.   They been around a long time. And it was cheaper then the rest.  I did used my buddies  Ion and can not say any thing bad of it.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Ion 8" here , for 3 years. love it. Would at some point like to get a spare 6" blade. 

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Strike Master 8" with a DeWalt drill and adapter shaft - simple and bullet proof
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Ion 8" here , for 3 years. love it. Would at some point like to get a spare 6" blade.

The Finn bore 6” works great with the ion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.