The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: K drill vs Pistol Bit ??  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
K drill vs Pistol Bit ??
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Hi
  New to forum. Excellent info!!  I am getting into electric drill auger game. I have a Dewalt XR 20V drill with 5 amh batteries and cam plate. I now need the auger. K drill is nice but the 8 inch only cuts around 7 1\2 inch holes. The new Eskimo pistol bit looks good and the 8 inch cuts 8 inch holes. I have a 10 inch jiffy and like the bigger holes. The pistol is becoming available in Northern Ontario ( Can Tire) and is around same price as k drill. Because Pistol is new there is very little feedback on it. Whats every ones take ?? Any review/feedback yet??

Thanks
                                                                                                                                   Newman

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: K drill vs Pistol Bit ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:14 AM »
They are new this year so no one has tested them out. One guy has one that I know of his name is Mr Pike 1973. Here is his review on it. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=360635.msg3863010#msg3863010
<===Lefty===

RallyGreen

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:39 AM »
HT is soon to be selling a novel electric drill powered auger kit called the E-drill, which has a double flyted shaft. From what I've read it will be available in a few weeks, so depending on what features you want it may be worth waiting to see reviews on that. It comes with an electric drill frame, although I'm not sure if it includes gear reduction like the clam plate.

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Thanks for info. Ice is just starting here and a little early yet. Getting the itch !!

Newman

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Saw this on FB...but remember w/K drill you must clean out the shavings by lifting up after several inches of drilling ..doesent appear the Kdrill was being operated as susch

https://www.facebook.com/walleyemafiallc/videos/347945532439625/UzpfSTEwMDAwMDIxMzIzNzkzNTo5Nzk1MTM3ODg5MDU5NDk/

http://kdrillauger.com/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list/K-Drill-Owners-Manual-2018-Web.pdf
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:34 PM »
That video is a perfect example why I can never understand anyone running a clam plate or bare auger and adapter without a lengthy extension. How is the accepted new norm for drilling a hole involve being bent in half with your hands at your ankles!?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:43 PM »
That video is a perfect example why I can never understand anyone running a clam plate or bare auger and adapter without a lengthy extension. How is the accepted new norm for drilling a hole involve being bent in half with your hands at your ankles!?
I’d never use the setup without the extension. The one from clam fits all the most popular hand augers except nils

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:47 AM »

yeah what a horrible example of how to do a lot of stuff totally wrong. it looked like the guy clearly had never done this before.  I don't use a plate, but i'm usually drilling through less than 15" of ice.   

what do you expect from guys head to toe in eskimo gear trying to compare an eskimo auger to a kdrill. 

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:56 AM »

Just to throw something else into mix, the Nils convertable 8 inch looks pretty good also. A little heavier but has been out a while and has good reviews. (???)

Newman

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:35 AM »
I've used an 8 inch mora my whole life, got the 8 inch k drill and can't tell the difference, hole size wise.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I've used an 8 inch mora my whole life, got the 8 inch k drill and can't tell the difference, hole size wise.

Yeah, it's really hard to tell the difference. My buddy has the 8" Ion and it's very hard to tell the difference in hole size even when they are drilled side by each.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Doesn't look like OP got the answer he was looking for.
From what I have seen and heard the Eskimo is a better choice. Cuts faster which = more holes per charge.
There are some youtube videos out there.
The Eskimo would be my choice but just bought a F1 Rocket last year and am liking it.
When price comes down a bit might pull the trigger.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Online badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:46 PM »
He also likes the biggest hole possible, which is fine, but the area of a 10 inch hole is 1.56 times the 8 inch. It is 2.78 times a 6 inch. Think long and hard about getting the biggest drill- you will get less holes per battery, and have to carry the heavier bit around. I have pulled a 34 inch laker through a 6 inch hole, and have used a 4 inch hand auger for perch when the ice was thick. Power augers make it easier to drill a big hole, but bigger holes require more energy per hole, so you will get less per battery, and need more torque to turn it.

:tipup:

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Agree larger hole draws more power but faster cutting auger will cut more per charge. 8" is good all around for me. Can pull anything thought it except maybe a huge carp and it also gives you more room to hang your transducer in when panfishing. Both sizes of the pistol bit are listed at 4 lbs so I don't think weight is an issue. For piece of mind a spare battery might weigh a pound? 10" hole seems like overkill but to each his own. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.