Author Topic: Pulling Smitty Sled with Snowmobile/ ATV  (Read 4187 times)

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
Pulling Smitty Sled with Snowmobile/ ATV
« on: Nov 10, 2018, 03:13 PM »
When pulling your shanty with a snowmobile/ ATV, do you mount the tow bar to the shanty or the Smitty Sled? Pros vs Cons?

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pulling Smitty Sled with Snowmobile/ ATV
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Why would you use a smitty if your pulling with a 4 wheeler?  I'm not critiquing you but isn't s smitty just used to make it easier pulling by hand?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2018, 04:52 PM »
When pulling your shanty with a snowmobile/ ATV, do you mount the tow bar to the shanty or the Smitty Sled? Pros vs Cons?

Not recommended...but if you went slow over smooth terrain/ice I guess it would work ...I would guess attaching to the upright/risers would be best. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2018, 09:24 PM »
After trying both I'd say the Smitty is awesome for pulling by hand.  If running behind quad/sled and have a proper hitch leave the Smitty.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Using the Smitty saves wear and tear on your tub though.....hitting ice chunks, glare ice, etc etc...better the skis take the abuse than your tub....just my thoughts...plus those pulls across the parking lot with gravel exposed....

Offline Big_Al

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I highly recommend not towing a smitty sled behind a snowmobile. They do not handle the lateral force generated during turns at higher speed. Mine broke apart where the bolts/pins enter the risers on the skis.

A few too many adult beverages gave me the bright idea to try and ride my smitty sled home towed behind a sled. At least I lasted the full 8 secs...

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:02 PM »
beef up the smitty accordingly.  and don't push the speed/weight limit. lol  glue and screw plywood on the outside of the risers maybe add a triangle under inside riser.  don't overload and be cool and it should hold up.

I seen an old row boat, with skis rigged under it, for tow sled also.

seen fenders for skies put under the wheels of the trailer used to haul sled to lake! 

lots of options depending on your situation.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:22 AM »
I pull a Smitty all over the farm behind my ATV.  But it isn't the original take-down version.  I have steel risers with everything bolted firmly together and a jet sled screwed to the crossmembers.  I have the tow bar fastened to the risers with quick connects.  After a few winters of hauling hay, feed, dogs, and kids in it, I've had no problems with it breaking.  I just had to replace the skis last year because the bare spots in the driveway and boat launches wore them out.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I pull a Smitty all over the farm behind my ATV.  But it isn't the original take-down version.  I have steel risers with everything bolted firmly together and a jet sled screwed to the crossmembers.  I have the tow bar fastened to the risers with quick connects.  After a few winters of hauling hay, feed, dogs, and kids in it, I've had no problems with it breaking.  I just had to replace the skis last year because the bare spots in the driveway and boat launches wore them out.
what did you use for the steel risers? any pictures? Thanks

Offline eyeballer6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:24 AM »
I ripped down a 1x8 pvc board ad put 3 runners on the bottom I'm my sled..one on each outer and 1 in center..countersunk the holes and put a little heat on them and they formed the front curve of jet sled..replaceable easily..saves the bottom of sled behind wheeler..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.