The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Options for Converting Nils Blue Auger & Drill Supplier  (Read 1794 times)

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I live on the lower edge of the ice belt, but chronic tendonitis in my elbow is pushing me to finally make the leap to an electric auger this year.  Have a few questions for you auger gurus.   

What are my options for converting my 6" blue Nils?  Google comes up with two options - the Ice Master and the Nils disc.  Anything else that I am missing?  Any thoughts on pros and cons of the two options?

Also interested in a new drill.  Have a good history with Milwaukee tools and the new Fuel drills look pretty sweet.  Anyone have the skinny on the best supplier out there?  Any alternatives that I should be considering?

Thanks for the help.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Options for Converting Nils Blue Auger & Drill Supplier
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:40 AM »
I WENT WITH THE NILS DISC FOR MY 6" BLUE NILS.  I'M USING A DEWALT WITH 2 AMP HOUR BATTERIES--JUST DOESN'T CUT IT.  EVERYTHING I'M READING SEEMS TO STEER ME TOWARD THE MILWAUKEE FUEL 1200 IN/LBS WITH 5 AMP/HR BATTERIES.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:45 AM »
I love my Milwaukee fuel! The batteries really do hold up well in the cold, I still keep my spare in a cooler/insulated bag with hand warmer. For a 6” nils an older model fuel drill (725lb torque) will be more than enough. Just make sure it’s brushless. The newest models are coming out with 1200lb torque, and upwards of 9ah batteries, you won’t need that much lol. I got my 7” lazer auger, drill, and clam plate back in 2015 with 725lb torque. still running with the original two 4ah batteries. With 20” of ice, I got worn out drilling before I use up both batteries when I tried. Mind you, I was making a grid pattern to actually cover water to fish from, not just drilling hole after hole to count... and usually loose count lol.
Oh and there’s an adapter that can be found for the nils to clam plate. Even if there isn’t an issue with nils catching on the bottom of the ice, having the plate really stabilizes the whole rig and allows more control. 

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2018, 09:27 AM »
I have been using the 8 inch blue Nils with a Clam plate and Milwaukee drill for a couple of years. Very happy with the set up. In fact I have two; one with the gear reduction box and extension and one without. I also have my 6 inch Nils on a Milwaukee Mud Mixer I use in early and late ice. I would highly recommend the Clam Plate or if no plate the Mud Mixer instead of a regular drill. I would also go with the 1200 lbs torque new model is 2804-20 or 22.  I think it’s worth the extra cost.  The one drawback to the Clam Plate/Nils setup is that the adapters are a little hard to come by.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I would go rigid home depot has a battery deal till Oct 30 for buying the battery and getting the 1300 inch pound octane hammer drill free.. but takes some fenagling to get. Any how also check zoro tools they got 20 %off right now on millwaukee power tools.. this is if you don't like ridgid??  any how check them out too.. as for adaptor check ebay for the blue nils to clam plate adaptor.. or another tool like the nimrod adaptor to clamp plate adaptor..  there's so many posibiltys around also check amazon for the adaptors..

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Not opposed to Rigid.  How do I find the details on the Rigid battery/drill deal?
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:35 PM »
Here you go.  This is a good value if you don’t already have M18 tools.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Starter-Kit-with-Charger-AC801/304740781

This was easy when I did it. Just added the battery to cart then the 1300 in/lb hammer drill and the total was correct.  There was a charge for each item but the total was correct at $199.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Here you go.  This is a good value if you don’t already have M18 tools.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Starter-Kit-with-Charger-AC801/304740781

This was easy when I did it. Just added the battery to cart then the 1300 in/lb hammer drill and the total was correct.  There was a charge for each item but the total was correct at $199.

Thank you.. for helping!

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Just bought the Rigid.  Only downside to the deal is that while they will ship the battery to you, you have to pick the drill up at a store.   ???  My local HD did not have one in stock and the on-line rep said that they could not ship one to me or to the store.  Fortunately, I was able to buy it on-line from a store back home.  Will have a family member pick it up and I will grab it when I go home for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for all the help.  Now I need to decide which adapter to use.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.