The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Time for Electric?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Time for Electric?
« on: Oct 21, 2018, 08:20 AM »
I'm giving a lot of thought lately to joining the electric auger revolution.  I currently run a 10" Jiffy STX.  I'm getting tired of lugging that tank around, and I have a permanent shack that is unusable for a good 15-30 minutes after I drill holes from getting fumed out.

I'm thinking 8" Kdrill, but the price is pretty steep.  Is there anything else out there than can run on a drill (DeWalt DCD996 w/4ah batteries) and reopen old holes?

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Time for Electric?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:49 AM »
pm argo in iowa he runs a 10 inch in his ice castle and will prob be able to shoot you in the right way.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Still wondering if I can get a 8 inch laser power head bit to work with my drill?? I think the shaft couple on the power bit is 7/8 inch were the other is 5/8  so I would have to have adaptor for it made??  Probllay easier having a adaptor made turned out of steel then  it would be to buy a k drill ?? Like a sleeve adaptor for a regular drill adaptor?? The sleeve would have to take up slack so it don't woobe like a duck walks..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2018, 03:34 PM »
i reopen holes for years on my lazers.

wondering why no one has cut gaps in the flights of auger bits (like k drill did) for wheel house use, to have the shaving fall right back into the hole and then reverse the motor to flush them or most of them.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2018, 07:09 AM »
i reopen holes for years on my lazers.

Tried on a 6" Lazer, but it binds too much.  Chippers are definitely the way to go when reopening holes.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there's any other chipper style auger out there that's compatible with the electric drills.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Still wondering if I can get a 8 inch laser power head bit to work with my drill?? I think the shaft couple on the power bit is 7/8 inch were the other is 5/8  so I would have to have adaptor for it made??  Probllay easier having a adaptor made turned out of steel then  it would be to buy a k drill ?? Like a sleeve adaptor for a regular drill adaptor?? The sleeve would have to take up slack so it don't woobe like a duck walks..
Hey Chilly.. the 8" LazerMag ( power units) bits have the ripper teeth and will definitely work under a drill, at least my Milwaukee spins it with no problem. I run mine under a Clam plate and with the Clam adaptor. Wobbles a little as they all do but settles down once it bites the ice. No need for the high spec machine shop. This ain't rocket surgery. I'd take the LazerMag bit over a KDrill any day.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Hey Chilly.. the 8" LazerMag ( power units) bits have the ripper teeth and will definitely work under a drill, at least my Milwaukee spins it with no problem. I run mine under a Clam plate and with the Clam adaptor. Wobbles a little as they all do but settles down once it bites the ice. No need for the high spec machine shop. This ain't rocket surgery. I'd take the LazerMag bit over a KDrill any day.

That's exactly what I was thinking bUT maybe making a sleeve for the shaft so it don't wobble so much??

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Not sure how you'd do that but let us know if you figure it out.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Not sure how you'd do that but let us know if you figure it out.

For sure will do..

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2018, 10:29 AM »
For sure will do..

They make drill adapters for the larger diameter Lazer power auger bit. I have one at home that I no longer use.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2018, 09:15 PM »
They make drill adapters for the larger diameter Lazer power auger bit. I have one at home that I no longer use.

That's why I am thinking the clam plate will be sleeved ..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2018, 10:00 PM »
I'm giving a lot of thought lately to joining the electric auger revolution.  I currently run a 10" Jiffy STX.  I'm getting tired of lugging that tank around, and I have a permanent shack that is unusable for a good 15-30 minutes after I drill holes from getting fumed out.

I'm thinking 8" Kdrill, but the price is pretty steep.  Is there anything else out there than can run on a drill (DeWalt DCD996 w/4ah batteries) and reopen old holes?

Not sure how strong a DCD966 is. I run a Milwaukee 1200in/lb.

If you want to turn a 10in on a drill you will need the 1200in/lb drill.

The three augers that are 10in that work. Old 10in mora, Nils 10in, and the Ion 10in auger. The ion 10 in auger is $150 and found the easiest.

When drilling in a wheel house, what you want is an auger with a guide point.

Here are the ones I know with points
 Nils w/power point.
K drill  w/point.
ion auger w/point.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Don't be scared to pull the trigger on a K-Drill. I debated as well, would do it in a heartbeat if I had to do it again. Once its bought you get free blade sharpening. Spare blades are only $35. Cuts slick!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2018, 11:23 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking bUT maybe making a sleeve for the shaft so it don't wobble so much??

I’m certainly not a machinist, but I have a couple of types of sleeves for my Nils/Clam Plate setup. The ones that work best are sleeves that DO NOT through bolt the shafts through both sides of the sleeve . They have a hole on one side of the sleeve that is bigger than the head of the through bolt so the shaft inside is “pinned” against the other side of the sleeve. This eliminate all wobble without depending on tight tolerances for the sleeve diameter. This is the design that Nils used for their powerhead adapters.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Well, I splurged on a 8" (7.5" 😤) Kdrill.  The float on this thing seems small for the weight of the auger.  Anyone add a plate to it to make sure it won't fall through if it slips out of the chuck?  Or maybe add some pool noodle to the existing float?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Well, I splurged on a 8" (7.5" 😤) Kdrill.  The float on this thing seems small for the weight of the auger.  Anyone add a plate to it to make sure it won't fall through if it slips out of the chuck?  Or maybe add some pool noodle to the existing float?

I hope you got the 10% off on it at reedssports.com with the email cupon code??

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2018, 03:44 PM »
No, Cabela's with a veterans discount.  I'm picky about what I buy on the internet, this is one thing I needed to have hands on to make up my mind.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2018, 03:53 PM »
No, Cabela's with a veterans discount.  I'm picky about what I buy on the internet, this is one thing I needed to have hands on to make up my mind.

Nice better yet!! Glad you got a discount on it!!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2018, 06:58 PM »
.  I currently run a 10" Jiffy STX.
Model 30 Tecumseh? How much you selling it for?
It must be something in the water.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Model 30 Tecumseh? How much you selling it for?

Yes, it’s the tecumseh model, but not ready to sell just yet.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I have a 6” lazer and open old holes every day with no problems

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2018, 06:59 PM »
What's the attraction of re- opening old holes? What's wrong with drilling a new one right next to it? Unless you're inside a permanent shack.  :-\  If I can't  kick one open...
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2018, 07:18 PM »
What’s the difference, gotta have the rig that will do it !!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Wait till the ice starts melting, all the holes start draining, yes even the ones u drill beside a old hole. I would rather have fewer “drain” holes to save the ice another day or two

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I typically don't fish inside so drain holes aren't an issue and I don't have a rig that I would use to re-open holes...question answered..thank you.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2018, 08:20 PM »
I don’t fish inside at all, but look around when water onice when melting and it will “go down” in the weakest spot, which is normally a old hole. Prolly don’t make that much difference but the fewer holes the better imo

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:25 AM »
What's the attraction of re- opening old holes? What's wrong with drilling a new one right next to it? Unless you're inside a permanent shack.  :-\  If I can't  kick one open...

That’s exactly why for me, reopening old holes in a permanent shack.  Otherwise I wouldn’t care.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I’ve opened old holes with a lazer, just need to go slower. I’ve never tried overlapping holes with it though, how well does that work?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 30, 2018, 01:30 PM »
My buddy has a wheelhouse and uses an Ion re-opening old holes no problem.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.