Author Topic: Plastics and spoons storage  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
Plastics and spoons storage
« on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:19 AM »
I'm trying to get more organized for the ice this year. Wondering what everyone else uses to store their plastics and spoons. For plastics I've got vairious containers including small plastic bags and jars. Spoons I've just been using a plano tray. What do you guys use to stay organized out on the ice?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Plastics and spoons storage
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:30 AM »
This is by far the best thing for Spoons. I have 2 of them full plus some. I even cut more slots in them to add more lures. There is one other one that is larger than this.
https://www.scheels.com/p/plano-prolatch-spoon-box/02409923731.html
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2018, 12:58 PM »
The small little vexilar type tackle box is hard to beat. It has a net in top to hold plastics. Then three small tackle boxes to hold spoons and lures.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Still normal Plano compartment box.  Those small ones. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Still normal Plano compartment box.  Those small ones.
Me too, helps that the lowrance ice package came with two and have a compartment space for them. A little disappointed that the Garmin pack I got this year doesn’t have a tray for tackle, but it does have spots for the transducers. At least the little boxes fit in the side pockets.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I'm liking the looks of pro latch spoon box. Thanks

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2018, 03:29 PM »
don't forget silica packets

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2018, 03:54 PM »
I'm liking the looks of pro latch spoon box. Thanks

You can DIY for the cost of an empty box. Just gotta find some closed cell foam pieces. I save whatever I get my hands on, mostly from electronic gear. Cuts easily with a sharp knife, layout with a Sharpie and jab in a fillet knife tip on the marks. EZPZ...

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2018, 08:36 AM »
I have been keeping an eye out for the right foam for about a year, I just have not stumbled on any. Anyone know where to get some, I don't buy many electronics.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2018, 12:55 PM »
i use the Clam plastic wallets. can put a lot of  plastics in one. have clear baggies to hold plastics so you can see at a glance what you have. very convenient for me. wire

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2018, 03:10 PM »
You can DIY for the cost of an empty box. Just gotta find some closed cell foam pieces. I save whatever I get my hands on, mostly from electronic gear. Cuts easily with a sharp knife, layout with a Sharpie and jab in a fillet knife tip on the marks. EZPZ...

I cut some strips of sill gasket last year and stacked them together sideways in a deep Plano box.  This allowed me to insert spoons/jigs anywhere without modifying it.  Sill gasket is closed cell and cheap at Menards, home depot, etc.  Hope that makes sense.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2018, 05:16 PM »
I cut some strips of sill gasket last year and stacked them together sideways in a deep Plano box.  This allowed me to insert spoons/jigs anywhere without modifying it.  Sill gasket is closed cell and cheap at Menards, home depot, etc.  Hope that makes sense.

Brilliant!  Thanks for the idea!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Jig or spoon pad from this web site..I have big poppa sport fishing versions..  but every ones different.. these are similar to what big poppas sold..

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=78bad89db8e0f7ea93014d007da08289

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2018, 10:08 AM »
The spoons boxes are great, just can be a bit big unless you do it yourself.  Some have a big spoon box at home and then take what they need for a day in a smaller box, kinda need to know the lake and what colors work though.

I also like the rose creek spoon boxes, slips right into your bib pocket and can hold a bunch. Also can get a box with spoons on one side and jigs on the other.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2018, 12:06 PM »
don't forget silica packets

Yup, good tip.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Thanks for the sill gasket idea from me also.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2018, 10:36 PM »
Jig or spoon pad from this web site..I have big poppa sport fishing versions..  but every ones different.. these are similar to what big poppas sold..

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=78bad89db8e0f7ea93014d007da08289

I wish I saw both of these before I got this beast for my trolling spoons https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/plano-spoon-utility-box-17plouspnbx39sltstbx/17plouspnbx39sltstbx
Just barely fit into the bag I carry some boat gear in. at least I got it with rewards dollars along with a bunch of other stuff. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2018, 11:32 PM »
I have been keeping an eye out for the right foam for about a year, I just have not stumbled on any. Anyone know where to get some, I don't buy many electronics.

$0.99 pool noodle. Cut strips from it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2018, 06:47 AM »
I have 2 of the Plano Spoon Boxes and one other smaller box all full for the boat. They fit in a bag together and the bag also holds Pliers ,Spare line, and one smaller box. Doesn't take up that much room on my 8' boat with the wife and I and 4 rods and lunch plus a thermos of coffee.
 I would like a few smaller boxes with that same foam in them for my ice fishing gear. Pool noodle material might work but I think I will go to a craft store and look for some flat material.
<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I wish I saw both of these before I got this beast for my trolling spoons https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/plano-spoon-utility-box-17plouspnbx39sltstbx/17plouspnbx39sltstbx
Just barely fit into the bag I carry some boat gear in. at least I got it with rewards dollars along with a bunch of other stuff.

Only box besides the pads I showed you are special mate boxes.. that I trust for trolling spoons..  the special mate boxes have vents to help dry quickly.. and I even use those for me minnow body baits with there hard bait box.. keeps the lures less tangled.. plus better organized...

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2018, 11:57 AM »

I wonder if you couldn’t find all the closed-cell foam you can use at an electronic or appliance store. They pack these items using this foam to cushion them, and throw the foam away with the cardboard when unpacking the demo models. Just an thought.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2018, 08:09 PM »
I kinda "stumbled" into a solution that I'm quite happy with. I went to harbor freight and bought one of those Apache cases(similar to a Pelican) in the smallest size to use for carrying my batteries for my drill. The case came with 3 layers of that pick-apart foam, that I ended up not needing, and of those layers fits perfectly in a plano 3715 box, and the pre-made slits are perfect for tucking in some spoons. Really large spoons, like 5/8oz plus won't fit, but everything else will. Didn't intend on using the foam for this purpose, but it works great:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.