Author Topic: Clam fish trap sled  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam fish trap sled
« on: Aug 26, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Have a one man clam fish trap flip over. This will be my third year with it and at the end of last year the sled cracked the whole length of the sled. Probably a 24 inch or so crack. Split wide open. How would anyone go about sealing it up. Looking for any ideas. Thanks!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam fish trap sled
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2018, 09:07 PM »
Never used any of the stuff and don't know if it would hold up being in cold conditions, but the commercials for flex seal,glue,tape where they saw a boat in half and tape it back together comes to mind. Probably not worth a try if you drag the sled a lot and don't use a smitty sled or other means to keep it off the ice until setup.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2018, 04:03 AM »
Have a one man clam fish trap flip over. This will be my third year with it and at the end of last year the sled cracked the whole length of the sled. Probably a 24 inch or so crack. Split wide open. How would anyone go about sealing it up. Looking for any ideas. Thanks!

what model house is it. If it was new 3 seasons ago you may be able to order a replacement sled base for it. I can also forward a link to this thread to my contact in customer service at Clam and see if he would have any suggestions. only thing is that if the crack is really 24 inches long it might not be worth repairing because you run the risk of the crack reopening or getting larger and worse yet. your best option is to replace the base if you can get one yet. a three year old house should still have replacement bases. once I know the model I can help you check to see if a base would be in stock yet and how much it would be to replace. post some pics of the crack too and that might help with seeing if a repair would even be a option that would be worth doing.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2018, 05:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure the tubs are HDPE so they can be welded. There are also some tapes like rhino tape or gator guard that can hold it together some but I don't know how much of a beating any fixes will hold up to. I would take some pictures and contact Clam and see if they can help or at the very least, get a discount on a replacement.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2018, 06:13 AM »
24” spilt is really long to try and repair
    I had a similar problem ,I had a crack along the runner but mine was much smaller and just out of warranty , I stopped the crack from spreading by drilling a small hole at each end ,, l made phone call first , then  I took pictures along with an E-mail describing the problem ,  , as i believed it was a defect from manufacturing, , and customer service was very helpful and in four days I had a new tub at no cost to me ,  second time in 10 years I had an issue both times I was satisfied,
   I wish you luck Z

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2018, 07:26 AM »
depending how wide the crack is. You could use a piece of flat stock aluminum and rivet it across the slpit.Drill a small hole at each end of the split. Then seal it with silicone or the Flexseal. I have used the Flexseal and it works pretty good.If nothing else you will have to get a new tub.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2018, 07:27 AM »
Stitch it with zip ties then flex tape it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2018, 01:07 PM »
One of my friends had this happen and a wrecking yard have him a used pickup bedliner. He covered the entire bottom of the sled with the bedliner which he had cut to fit it and it is still going strong. Probably worth a try for you.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2018, 07:25 PM »

what model house is it. If it was new 3 seasons ago you may be able to order a replacement sled base for it. I can also forward a link to this thread to my contact in customer service at Clam and see if he would have any suggestions. only thing is that if the crack is really 24 inches long it might not be worth repairing because you run the risk of the crack reopening or getting larger and worse yet. your best option is to replace the base if you can get one yet. a three year old house should still have replacement bases. once I know the model I can help you check to see if a base would be in stock yet and how much it would be to replace. post some pics of the crack too and that might help with seeing if a repair would even be a option that would be worth doing.

It’s the scout xl thermal

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2018, 07:39 PM »

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:26 PM »

http://SCOUT XL TC / SCOUT XL THERMAL BASE
Scout XL TC / Scout XL Thermal Base
MORE VIEWS

Model #: 4138
Replacement base for any Scout XL TC and Scout XL Thermal model fish houses.

***As this item is over sized, please contact Clam Customer Service for shipping options and quotes on Scout XL TC or Scout XL Thermal Bases. 1-800-ICE-FISH

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2018, 10:06 PM »

That sled is toast. There is no fixing that as it is right on the curve of the side and bottom of the sled. If I were you I would order a new replacement sled for it from Clam. customer service can be reached at either 1-800-ICE-FISH (1-800-423-3474) or at [email protected]. They would be able to give you a price and shipping cost for a new sled. another option is if you ever happen to be in MN before season and you are around the Minneapolis metro area they are up in Rogers, MN which is not to far from Minneapolis. you could set it up to be picked up at the will call department and then you would save shipping costs. PM me your address. depending where in Iowa you are I might be able to go out of my way and setup a deal where I could drive to southern MN (like the Albert Lea area) and meet you there to deliver the new sled to you instead of having to pay high shipping costs if you don't mind driving part of the way from where you are at.  would only like $20 to help cover some of the gas cost if you would want to do this. just be aware if Clam ships it,  it would most likely come on either Speedy or UPS and will probably be like $50 to $80 for just the shipping cost do to oversize of the package (don't quote me on that only customer service will know the actual shipping cost).

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Zimmerman,

I heard back from my contact. New sled would be $100 and shipping actually came in cheaper at $30 to $50.00 so that is what you would be looking at for a new sled that they ship to you.

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Sounds good. Thank you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.