Author Topic: Best ice reel for 30-40 bucks  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best ice reel for 30-40 bucks
« on: Aug 15, 2018, 08:20 PM »
I need to upgrade my panfish reel. I use 2# mono I have used the Ceymar 10 which has been sent in twice now anything better? I will not spend more than 30-40 bucks as my stuff has a gravitational force to go down the hole. Reel must have instant anti reverse. My other 3 reels are 13 that came with a combo. Thanks

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best ice reel for 30-40 bucks
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Ht accucast ACR-106AC. What issues are you having with the ceymar? was gonna try one this year

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Any model shimano in the 500 size.shimano sienna can be had cheap and are good reels.sedonas too.

Offline Boomer.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2018, 08:40 PM »
Pflueger trion and sometimes you can catch the presidential on sale.  Both size 20s!   :icefish:
Fishing in the Slabbin’ cabin!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Pflueger trion and sometimes you can catch the presidential on sale.  Both size 20s!   :icefish:

what he said

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Do the Pfluegers seem to get cold and stiffer turning the handles? The anti reverse has went out 2 times on the Ceymar right when you need it and good buy fish, if it goes down the hole I will not shed 1 tear.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Any model shimano in the 500 size.shimano sienna can be had cheap and are good reels.sedonas too.

This. I use both and they are great. The Sienna will be the less costly option between the two.

Also, The Abu Garcia Cardinal SX 10 and 5 are another good inexpensive option. I also use both of those too. Should fall right in your budget. The Sienna should also. The anti-reverse on all of these are truly instant, in my experience.

Invest in some high-quality reel oil (personally, I use Quantum HotSauce Oil). Dissasemble your reels and completely remove ALL of the factory grease with warm/hot water and dawn dish soap. Dry completely. Apply your reel oil to the bearings and gears per product instructions. Reassemble and crank the gear for a few minutes both forward and reverse to distribute the oil. Put in the freezer (to simulate ice fishing temperatures) for about 30 minutes and crank the handle again. If it’s stiff at all, the means there is still some factory grease somewhere or it wasn’t dry all the way. In that case, repeat the whole process. If the handle cranks to your satisfaction then you’re good to go and there shouldn’t be any stiff handle issues out on the ice for any reel. I also don’t mess with the drag. The drags are pretty good on all of these reels so I don’t fix what isn’t broken.

When I do this (seasonally to about 6 reels, all the ones that I have I mentioned) I can turn the reel crank just by its weight alone by holding the reel foot. A quality reel oil shouldn’t set you back more than ten bucks and will last many many seasons.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Two quality reels at discounted prices.  I would have a tough time choosing between these two, but would probably go with the Tica...

https://www.amazon.com/TICA-SS500-Cetus-Trout-Fishing/dp/B000BS0IY4/ref=pd_ybh_a_80?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RNY3QREY4PHF6SECS2RC

https://www.amazon.com/Pflueger-PRESSP20X-President-Spinning-Fishing/dp/B074WHMG12/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P1S6YZZD0PV8GAS19A7K

DN

TICA hands down IMO. Have a few of both. After taking both brands apart and cleaning them and seeing the guts I prefer the TICA. Great reels and even their less expensive model (I believe GV?) is a heck of a reel and best in the $30 range. The SS at this discount is a steal as they rarely go on sale.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Thanks guys, I just ordered the Tica. I needed another reel for this year. I have always heard good things about the Tica brand.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2018, 01:02 PM »
got a Tica ordered thanks

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2018, 02:26 PM »
So is $55 typically what they go for?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2018, 02:36 PM »
$55.  Yessir.  You missed a real bargain that I posted about 3 weeks ago.  Check the chart in my link.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/TICA-SS500-Cetus-Trout-Fishing/product/B000BS0IY4?context=search

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Damn....
Minnesconsin born and raised

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.