Author Topic: Hi vis line-hurt or help?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Jakesdad

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi vis line-hurt or help?
« on: Aug 08, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Was thinking of spooling some hi vis yellow mono on to my reels for the ice this coming year but have read both plusses and minuses. I do use 4lb hi vis mono on my open water crappie poles and I feel it has helped greatly, especially on the light biters. Just wanted some opinions from folks with experience. FWIW I don't fish water that would be considered overly clear. Thanks

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hi vis line-hurt or help?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Tie on a 6' long fluorocarbon leader and you will be fine.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Tie on a 6' long fluorocarbon leader and you will be fine.

+1
I do the same when using anything other than mono or straight fluro.

Offline Jakesdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Do you guys feel the need to use a small barrel swivel to prevent spinning, which in my case would mean probably a 2' or less leader means my rods are all 24"?

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2018, 01:18 PM »
I am also curious about a swivel.  Thinking of mono+fluoro leader.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Swivels help with some line twist and make it easier to tie a leader, make sure to use a longer leader than 2ft, just long enough so you don’t have to reel it in through the guides while your reaching down to grab the fish.  Sometimes the swivel can deter a bite... or the fish may hit it instead of the lure. If they go for the swivel, downsize your lure or jig.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2018, 06:03 PM »
One of the rare occurrences that visible line hurt me, was when the water was a low visibility of milky white with so much floating particles and micro organisms.  That crystal fireline I was using wasn't getting any bites at all.  Glow lures were like stop signs and the panfish would look at it and swim away faster than fast.

Now, it was a rare situation where anything black or dark colored was the only solution.  Original smoke fireline and black or blood red lures worked.  I just happened to have a black sharpie in the car.  Colored things black.  Lure heads and crystal fireline was colored black with the sharpie. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Straight 3# clear fluoro all the way with me. I also use the smallest swivel possible on a 2' leader. And depending how deep (usually anything over 20' ) I will use a small split shot pinched close to the swivel. I only use #3 or #4  tungsten  jigs so getting them back down the whole quickly is a must on days when the fish...and me...are on the move. I put more time and effort in my strike indicators than anything else...most I make myself. Very sensitive and I paint the ends with high florescent  paint , eliminating the need for hi-vis line. When it comes to the gills, I am micro-mini all the way. My motto is " Go large and fish won't charge...go small and catch 'em all":thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2018, 12:31 AM »
Was thinking of spooling some hi vis yellow mono on to my reels for the ice this coming year but have read both plusses and minuses. I do use 4lb hi vis mono on my open water crappie poles and I feel it has helped greatly, especially on the light biters. Just wanted some opinions from folks with experience. FWIW I don't fish water that would be considered overly clear. Thanks

Every line will catch fish. However when the bite is tuff, a clear line/lo-vis line helps put fish topside. Fishing in clear water with a camera on a tuff bite for gills convinced me to only put clear line on my rods. My hi vis lines wouldn't get a bite. If I have a braid line, I will put a 3ft leader of clear mono/fluro.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2018, 10:33 AM »
I use 2-4' fluoro leaders all the time on my ice reels spooled with fused crystal fireline - never had any issues and i use a tiny mustad diamond eye swivel
http://mustad-fishing.com/am/product/rolling-swivel-with-diamond-eye-ma025-bn77500/

I usually have that setup on carbon rods and I use straight fluoro on glass rods

Catchin' Fish

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2018, 01:41 PM »
2-3 foot leaders are totally pointless in my opinion. Why would you not maximize the amount of reties that you get? If you're using a swivel or even a knot to join, make it just a few feet below the ice level. If you're fishing 15', make the leader say 8-10 feet. A #10 Spro Power Swivel is 1/16" max diameter and less than 1/4" long. They reel up and go through guides just fine.

A 10' leader on a swivel still prevents spin (I've fished many many hours with one in front a camera), and you easily get 20-30 reties before you have to put another leader on.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2018, 02:33 PM »
I don't retie - i build more rods :) I typically have 3-6 rods with me all ready to go with jigs/baits matched to the rod action and line

Catchin' Fish

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2018, 04:18 PM »
2-3 foot leaders are totally pointless in my opinion. Why would you not maximize the amount of reties that you get? If you're using a swivel or even a knot to join, make it just a few feet below the ice level. If you're fishing 15', make the leader say 8-10 feet. A #10 Spro Power Swivel is 1/16" max diameter and less than 1/4" long. They reel up and go through guides just fine.

A 10' leader on a swivel still prevents spin (I've fished many many hours with one in front a camera), and you easily get 20-30 reties before you have to

You have a much different meaning of "goes through the eyes just fine" than i do. Many people don't wanna reel a swivel or even a knot through the eyes hence the shorter leaders

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2018, 09:42 PM »

A 10' leader on a swivel still prevents spin (I've fished many many hours with one in front a camera), and you easily get 20-30 reties before you have to put another leader on.

If your going to have an 8-10ft leader then why bother with the main line. Just put the leader material on the whole spool.

IMO you loose the point of having the main line if you have a 10ft leader when fishing in 15ft.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2018, 04:54 AM »
I personally use close to 20’ of fluro for leader as well. I use Fireline as a main line because it is more resistant to line twist, and it’s thin so a lot can be packed on a spool, but I prefer to fish with only fluro in the water. Fluro is more abrasion resistant, nearly invisible and it sheds water very well, so less ice buildup on the guides. The problem with using fluro as a main line is it doesn’t always sit on small spools very well and can tend to jump off the spool.
I use an improved Albright knot for the leader to main line, and it reels through the guides no problem. If I need a swivel, I’ll add it to the end of the leader and then tie on a few feet more line for the lure. When going for toothy fish, I’ll attach the bite leader to the swivel. 

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2018, 08:54 AM »
i back my fluoro only reels with cheap mono - then i only have to replace about 150' of the fluoro each year per reel

Catchin' Fish

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2018, 05:09 PM »
I use 24” flouro leader to micro swivel to 6# or 8# copolymer mainline. A quick change snap on the business end gets the job done. Hundreds of fish caught during the ice season and very rarely do I get broke off. A few spare rods rigged keeps me catching in the event of a break off. Put a new leader on during the week to get ready for battle the next trip out.😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2018, 10:32 AM »
If your going to have an 8-10ft leader then why bother with the main line. Just put the leader material on the whole spool.

IMO you loose the point of having the main line if you have a 10ft leader when fishing in 15ft.

My leader and mainline are   both the same material. The only reason I have a leader is because I use a swivel. For panfish going to a swivel was the one thing I've ever done open water or ice that instantly increased my catch rate by 30-40%.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2018, 10:34 AM »
My leader and mainline are   both the same material. The only reason I have a leader is because I use a swivel. For panfish going to a swivel was the one thing I've ever done open water or ice that instantly increased my catch rate by 30-40%.

How long is the leader and how big of a swivel?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.