Author Topic: Camper battery question  (Read 873 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Camper battery question
« on: Aug 06, 2018, 11:17 PM »
I couldn't find a good topic to put this question, so admin feel free to move or delete.

Hey guys I'm new to the camper word. Only ever used a tent, but now that I have kids I decided on a camper for now. Anyway, our camper is designed to have two batteries, but runs fine off just 1. My question is: we are getting ready to buy another battery and I thought what if I just bought a solar panel and used it and didn't buy another battery? Good, bad, or buy both? I figured for now just the solar panel will work.

Camper is for snow season and summer season.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Camper battery question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2018, 11:21 PM »
Good, bad, or buy both?

I have towed a camp trailer over 10,000 miles and used it a bunch.  My vote is for both.  It is EZ to drain two batteries, let alone one.  And in the Winter their capacity is diminished some.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2018, 07:46 AM »
I have been camping with a camper for a long time including going from N.Y. to Wyoming and Montana. Go with a little Honda generator. I thought I would be boondocking a lot at first. After a short period of time I preferred full hook up sites.  Most people think at first camping means getting away from modern conveniences and life but most realize if you go frequently and have kids there is a lot of downtime no matter how active one thinks they are. Enjoy camping it is a great family hobby.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2018, 08:57 AM »
I have owned campers from 1976 and stay in camp grounds with power hookups now. We used to camp in areas with no power when younger. I would suggest installing a second battery and buying a small generator to run the converter to keep them charged. I have a Honda 1000i for ice fishing and it is very quiet. If you plan to run a camper air conditioner you will need a 3,000 watt generator.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Another vote for the generator, by the way.

After trying other units, we have and love our two Hondas; one EU2000i and one EU2000i Companion.  We run just one unless we want A/C.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2018, 12:49 PM »
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-tech/camper-batteries-101-the-basics/

Really good article.  If the guy would talk about amps vs amp-hours properly then I would give him a solid A, but that's in the technical details.  His advice is pragmatic and good.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2018, 04:58 AM »
I've ran 2 batteries & a generator for years.....Current trailer has 2 batteries & an onboard Onan 5500W generator which is awesome.....I would buy another battery & get a generator too.....Honda/Yamaha make excellent generators that are very quiet when running.....Good luck with your decision & keep us posted !!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Depends whether you're "camping" or  "home away from home".   I have been using a slide-in camper for 20 years.  Never needed more than 1 deep cycle battery for trips off the grid up to 7 days. No stereos no tvs no solar no bullcrap.I despise developed campsites and avoid them like the plague.  Away from the lights and happy campers watch the stars and meteors. Think minimalist and you'll do fine with 1 good battery.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.