Author Topic: Ice Well Live Well Review  (Read 10371 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Ice Well Live Well Review
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Ice Well Live Well  

This is a short review of the Ice Well Live Well. A few months ago I received the Ice Well to test and review. I've used it on numerous occasions and these are my findings.
I'll start with the dimensions. It measures 13 3/4” long from the top of the lip to the base. The top lip measures 11 1/8” across. According to the manufacturer it is 7.8” just below the top rim to accommodate 8” holes as well as 10” holes. There are numerous vertical slots to allow the water to fill the well and for quick draining of the water when the well is removed from the hole. The manufacturer states “drill it, drop it, fill it, pull it” and it really is that simple. You drill a hole, drop it in the hole, fill it with fish and pull it out when you're done or moving. Also it's made in the USA and from recycled materials.
When I first received the well I thought plastic and ice aren't going to mix well. Then I thought about my sled and my Fish Trap base. They have been holding up and for years so I dismissed that concern. My second thought was it is really going to benefit me in any way and I can now say yes it has.
Lets begin with you are not going to be able to put a large lake trout in the Ice Well. It's design allows plenty of room for crappies, perch or even bass. On one outing I had 6 keeper crappies and 6 keeper perch in the well. If I wanted to move throughout the day I would simply drill new holes and I would pull the well out of the old hole (with the fish inside) and drop it in a new hole. At the end of the day (6-8 hrs) most of the fish, if not all, were still alive. The great thing about it was when I got home I didn't have to deal with frozen fish  ... waiting for them to thaw to filet.
Another benefit that came into play that I hadn't even thought of was it's use during an ice fishing contest. During many contests they want you to bring the entry in not frozen so they can measure and or weigh it. This meant either leaving my gear or dragging my gear and walking, some times a long distance, to the weigh in center. I lost time fishing and it was in general a pain. Now with the Ice Well I was able to keep my crappies, perch and bass alive or at least not frozen until I wanted to go in just before the end time. Also if I wanted to release a smaller fish from the well it was easy as the fish was usually still healthy.
Overall I was surprised as to how useful this product is and how much I actually used it. It works great and is well made. For the reasons listed I would recommend this product.
One thing I should mention is that when using my Nils 8” auger the ice well fit fine. If using an auger that claims it's an 8” and is actually a 7 1/2” the well will sit about 4” out of the hole. It's still usable but you lose about 4”. I've heard guys have a work around for this by drilling holes in a clover leaf pattern.

For more information you can go to their website : Ice Well Live Well

I posted a short video on YouTube. The video actually shows the Ice Well in use.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Well Live Well Review
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:29 PM »
pretty cool idea. looks like it works great
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:17 PM »

It really does work great. I'm kind of surprised nobody thought of it years ago.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:11 PM »
I can't agree with you more. Seems like something a regular Joe Smo like myself among-st others should have thought of the idea years ago. Either way looks like the perfect idea. Also thanks for being a sponsor Ice Well. 
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Do they make a 6" model?
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Do they make a 6" model?

Not to my knowledge. You can check their website to make sure.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 01:42 PM »
neat idea, good to see,  looks like good product..  :thumbsup:
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:49 AM »
neat idea, good to see,  looks like good product..  :thumbsup:

I really like it. I'm supposed be going to an ice fishing contest this weekend. That's if the shorelines hold up after this coming warm spell.
It will come in handy for keeping any entries fresh. I'll try and get some footage.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2018, 11:21 AM »

Sorry for the late update. The contest was cancelled due to the bad shorelines. I was really looking forward to using it at the contest.
I did have some additional footage I had taken just before the trip. As soon as I get a chance I'll prep it and post it to youtube and here.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2018, 05:40 PM »
I finally put together some extra footage I had actually using the Ice Well Live Well. I just posted it on Youtube.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:13 AM »
they really are nice. I know frank who came up with the idea and he really hit the nail on the head
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.