The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: HT Mini Nero  (Read 16118 times)

FISHFORPIKE

Re: HT Mini Nero
« Reply #90 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:42 PM »
^^^yeah, but I’m 69 years old! Lol

I’m just going by some of the augers I hear running on the ice. Some of them sound like they need tune-ups, or a least a good set of sharp blades!

Me too.  :thumbsup:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #91 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:29 PM »
ive got me a mini nero 7" auger on the way..the price of the blades are what got me to switch over from strikemaster mora and lazer augers.be using it on my ridgid octane drill.figure cutting holes with hand auger shaver blades with a drill will dull them quicker and strikemaster blades are at least 30 bucks for 8" blades compared to the nero blades which are half that price.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Dr.,
You won’t be disappointed!  >:(
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #93 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:27 PM »
ive got me a mini nero 7" auger on the way..the price of the blades are what got me to switch over from strikemaster mora and lazer augers.be using it on my ridgid octane drill.figure cutting holes with hand auger shaver blades with a drill will dull them quicker and strikemaster blades are at least 30 bucks for 8" blades compared to the nero blades which are half that price.
Your going to like that auger. Every time I use mine I think about using my Gas auger and how much lighter and faster this thing is.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #94 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:13 PM »
I was asked about rust forming on my blades. Here is the pictures of the blades I used all of last year drilling hundreds of holes. I have sharpened them by touching them up but haven't tried them this year.

<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #95 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:18 PM »
I was asked about rust forming on my blades. Here is the pictures of the blades I used all of last year drilling hundreds of holes. I have sharpened them by touching them up but haven't tried them this year.

im not surprised if they rust after a few seasons.i bought 2 extra sets at $7.99 a piece so im good if they dont last as long as expensive strikemaster blades.cheap enough to replace.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #96 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Wiping them down after you get home and a light coat of veg oil should make them last longer.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #97 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Wiping them down after you get home and a light coat of veg oil should make them last longer.
Mine were not treated at all. Having only those 2 little spots of rust is pretty good for a years worth of drilling. I may put them on this week and give them a try since I did sharpen them. The inside area is rust but mostly dirty.  I don't know I probably should have oiled them.
<===Lefty===

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #98 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:09 PM »
This stuff was recommended by my auto service guy. Had some brake and gas line issues.We replaced the really bad stuff and he sprayed the remainder with this : https://www.fluid-film.com/.

Don't know how well it works over time, jury it still out. He said it was amazing at stopping corrosion on stuff that was already headed south but not yet "compromised". I'm thinking auger blades at season end among other things.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Nothing a little white vinegar soak and a tooth brush won't fix. Add a little oil and your good to go.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #100 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:45 AM »
Nothing a little white vinegar soak and a tooth brush won't fix. Add a little oil and your good to go.
Ahh, the vinegar trick. I use that in my coffee maker and it does wonders.
<===Lefty===

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:06 AM »
I've been happy with mine so far, but haven't been able to try in real thick ice yet. I've had it out just 3 times, anywhere from 4"-6" we have here in Eastern Iowa.

I'm strictly using the 7" Nero as a hand auger for now, and a couple weekends ago, using it side by side with a smaller blue Mora with newly sharpened 5" blades, the Nero goes through the ice just as easy.

It did take some getting used to the two handles, and it seems like it needs a little down pressure to get it started, but then no downward pressure while cutting, or else you'll get a jagged hole as it cuts chunks of ice instead of shaving it. Almost wish it had a centering point. As a test last weekend, I cut 10 holes in 5" of clear hard black ice, one after the other, just to see what kind of workout it would be, and it was almost a zero as far as effort needed.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #102 on: Jan 19, 2019, 05:58 PM »
the mini nero is the best cutting auger ive ever had.cutting 3  inches with about 4 turns of handle.sometimes it leaves a jagged edge but I think it was me putting to  much pressure on it and blowing the bottom of the ice out.didnt bring my octane/clam plate.if I cant hand drill 3" of ice I need pack it up and quit fishing.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:20 AM »
I had PMed lefty about the rust, pictured are my blades from a 7". New this season, Ive only used it ~8 times. The rust appeared after the first or second time using it, basically overnight.. I love the auger but this rust has me worried, I oil it with WD40 every night now (prob switch to something else soon) and the rust doesnt seem to be growing. Im sure if I skipped a day it would get worse. I have two additional sets purchased for when these eventually crap out. Like I said, love the auger, but felt like this should be out there. I know its just surface rust, but surface rust on a blade edge is trouble. I dont abuse my gear so this bumed me out.

Note the corner on this one, has me worried.

Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #104 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:31 AM »
that's not good..blades are dirt cheap but if they rust out every season im going back to strikemaster augers and Swedish blades.get many seasons on those blades.i take my auger inside and take the cover off and dry everything off my augers after every use.a wet blade cover will rust any blade but those nero blades  in pics worry me about my nero now..ive used it once and I will monitor them and see when the rust shows up.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:40 AM »
I don't know that my example is perfect. I am a knife collector. I own a multitude of different styles of filet knives some being carbon steel and others stainless steel. The carbon steel will show light surface rust or darken up pretty quickly, but never has it affected the usefulness of the blade. I believe it is cosmetic if you don't leave the blades in a moist environment with no oil which could result in a real problem. I love the way my carbon steel knives sharpen razor sharp and hold that edge.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:53 PM »
DR, if you look after your blades and wipe them down/oil them I dont think you will have any issues. Still not great imo, there are times where I need to leave my auger in someones car overnight etc. Just have to pay attention I guess. Maybe Ill build a PVC blade cover with a built in silica pack.My concern is the same as yours. I bought two extra packs of blades thinking ill need them in 5 and 10 years or something similar, might not be the case. Im hopeful the blades will be okay.

Like I said, I really like the auger and how it collapses down and everything. Its screams through ice.

Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:34 PM »
Left it in my car for about 16 hours before I could oil and the blades developed a good amount of additional surface rust.... the snow wasnt even thawed off the auger yet. damn..
Team Comfy Skunks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #108 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Well, there has to be some sort of difference in blades.  I have had mine for 3 outings in a two week time span.  It stays on the ATV, I checked today, after a day in the mid 30s and it was wet, but absolutely no rust.  I'll keep an eye on it though.
Maybe HT sources the blades from different manufacturers.  I am still very happy with my 7" Nero, driven by my Fuel.  :)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #109 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:47 PM »
used mine a few times  so far and no rust.i just got back from fishing and I wiped the blades off and dry out the blade cover.

Offline nkocak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:10 PM »
I feel like mine needed a “break-in” period. Since then it has been amazing. I use the Ryobi hammer drill. Came with an 18v 4ah and two additional for free from HD. Had other Ryobi tools, it hasn’t disappointed. Prob 25-30ish holes through 10” the other day on a brutal cold windy day before a storm. I think overall a great value and idea.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Left it in my car for about 16 hours before I could oil and the blades developed a good amount of additional surface rust.... the snow wasnt even thawed off the auger yet. damn..

Ran out to the car to show the small additional rust that "grew" in under 16hours, in freezing temps. This is after a rub down with WD40 so its not as bad as it was before

Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:11 PM »
I've used my auger around 4 times now. I bring it inside to my furnace room and just stand it in the corner after every trip. Just drip dries basically and no rust on the blades. Just a tiny bit by the screws which is typical for any auger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.