Author Topic: Fluorocarbon Line  (Read 1132 times)

Offline BuzzWood

• IceShanty Rookie
Fluorocarbon Line
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:03 PM »
I see Cabelas and BPS have Fluoro ice line on sale.  Is it worth switching over?  My MI lake has very clear water.
Thanks!

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fluorocarbon Line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:08 PM »
Fluoro ice line isn't any different than regular fluoro.  I'd suggest giving is a shot to see how you feel about fluoro in general as there are widely varying opinions (some say it's better for x,y, and z reasons, others think it's a waste that's only different from mono in that it's more temperamental), but spending extra for something marketed as ice line isn't worth it in my opinion.  Grab some Sunline Sniper if you really want to give it a shot spooled up, or you can use it as a leader as well.  I recommend the Sunline leader material as an alternative if you want to use it as a leader, not necessarily because the leader material is "better" (it's a little more abrasion resistant than the Sniper but has more memory), but instead because it's a cheaper way to get a smaller quantity and give it a fair trial run ("fair" because it's high quality stuff so you could really see how you like it without being jaded by a lower quality alternative).

Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon is another one that's pretty economical that's of good quality that you might try out to see how you like it, but pay attention to line diameters.  Their 8 lb is about the same diameter as others' 12 lb, just for reference.

A lot of folks like Seaguar.  I've had some good experiences, but also bad luck with them across the range of their lineup, namely with getting spools where the line is just "bad" straight away - like break 10 lb between 2 hands bad.  Others have had better luck, so just my $0.02.

Offline knotcase

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:11 PM »
IMHO Definitely worth it, especially if abrasion resistance is a factor in your lake and you are using inline reels. I'll probably get some heat for this but fluorocarbon can be difficult to manage on spinning reels even if you know how to put line on properly.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:43 PM »
a 250yd spool of 2lb vanish will last you forever if you back your reels with cheap mono- i spool about 75-100' of flouro over mono

Catchin' Fish

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:15 PM »
a 250yd spool of 2lb vanish will last you forever if you back your reels with cheap mono- i spool about 75-100' of flouro over mono
Actually one of the best reasons to go to flouro for ice fishing is that you can use higher test line because it's less visible.

Last year I went from 2 lb mono for years to 4 lb flouro and it had zero impact on catch rates. Way better abrasion resistance and it sinks.

People fish for panfish all spring, summer, and fall on 4/6 lb test and think that it has to be 2lb during ice season for some reason. Not the case.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:27 PM »
it is worth it. good advise here.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:26 PM »
I run all BeaverDams for my tipups and use the reg black braid to a 3-4’ 4lb test leader. Last couple of years I haven’t caught that many trout off of my tipups. Do you think they’re getting turned off by the black braid?

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:33 PM »
nah, if you are using a 3-4 ft leader, that should be fine. make sure your tipups are set to the light setting for trout and panfish.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Actually one of the best reasons to go to flouro for ice fishing is that you can use higher test line because it's less visible.

Last year I went from 2 lb mono for years to 4 lb flouro and it had zero impact on catch rates. Way better abrasion resistance and it sinks.

People fish for panfish all spring, summer, and fall on 4/6 lb test and think that it has to be 2lb during ice season for some reason. Not the case.

I use two cause its supple, flexible, doesn't hinder the movement of a jig - there are more reasons than visibility to use a thin line. 2-3lb fluoro will lay straight with a lighter jig than 4+. Where I fish, it doesn't matter what color or how visible your line is - its gotta be thin and no stretch.

Catchin' Fish

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Thanks Sensei. That’s what I thought but figured I would ask. Guess I’ve just had some off luck with trout last couple years....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Well first thing to understand is you will need to change your knot style...or rather become a better knot tying skills.  Since fluorocarbon lines generally have weaker knots, since they made them softer for reel lines.
Second, fluorocarbon lines generally have a thinner diameter to box strength listed ratio compared to nylon lines.  Your 4# fluorocarbon line will break close to 4#, with knots breaking under that.  Compared to your average nylon lines where 4# lines will have knot breaks above 4# and the line itself well above 5#.  So it's important to pay close attention to line diameter.  Thinner lines will generally get bitten more by fish...or rather it's easier for a fish to inhale a lure on a thinner line.

What I don't buy fluorocarbon line for is for it's invisibility.  Not all fluorocarbon lines are crystal clear.  Some are more opaque than others.  If I can see it, then fish can see it too.  Leader material are generally very clear but costly too.

It is an alternative with different properties.  Not an end all to fix all.  Give it a try and see if it's useful for you.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:10 PM »
curtrein, try the ice buster bobbers in your holes. once you find the right depth, you can adjust the string stop and be right on. also use fine wire hooks for your live bait.

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:31 PM »
It sinks so that's a plus when fishing light weight jigs.  I used to use it much more, but with a box of tungsten jigs, that is less important to me now.

Offline Brandon4508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:54 PM »
I personally use it as a leader with reels i have braid on. Never really noticed much difference other that pike seem to have a tougher time biting through it.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:04 PM »
I think it helps little on first ice, but after the fish see some baits, it makes a difference.  I just bought some Cabelas Fluoro ice line to try it this year.  The 2lb test did good on the 2 nice perch I caught yesterday.  Nez

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:57 AM »
I have no luck with 2 pound test on my spinning rods -- just a hassle.  3 is much better. But I use 4 pound fluoro as I have zero problems and catch my share of gills and crappie.  I am not sure if it makes any difference with perch.  Never target salmo. 

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:45 AM »
 or, buy some FC and tie on about 10 feet to you line as a leader. yor line goes a long way. but personally, I don't use it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.