Author Topic: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?  (Read 25658 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?
« on: Aug 01, 2017, 07:04 PM »
With the clam plate and electric drills pushing 1200in/lbs plus and clam having the gear box, are any companies coming out with 10in hand augers? I know nils has one, but they are about like finding a unicorn.....and expensive.

I'd like to get one just for the wheel house, so when it's cold a guy's hole doesn't ice closed so fast.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: An company bringing out a 10in hand auger?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2017, 07:07 PM »
I thought strikemaster made a hand crank mora 10 inch many moons ago.maybe I was dreaming but I believe they did...maybe not. if so they are probably rare.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2017, 07:29 PM »
dr, i had a 10 in. Mora back in the 80,s. what a workout! but, sorta young ,n, definately foolish, so what the hey. bought it from a buddy who went gas, so i went with him when i could, but many a day i was crankin that beast on my own. only salvation was, here in Pa. we don,t see much more,n, a foot of ice. good times tho, wire

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2017, 09:22 PM »
You have me beat in that you couldn't pay me to hand drill a hole with a ten inch auger an eight inch is enough of a pain when you have good thick ice.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2017, 09:51 PM »
You have me beat in that you couldn't pay me to hand drill a hole with a ten inch auger an eight inch is enough of a pain when you have good thick ice.

It would be for on the clam plate with a drill running it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2017, 10:39 PM »
Why not just buy the ten inch bit from a power auger?? Would be easier then finding a nills ??

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2017, 12:17 AM »
Why not just buy the ten inch bit from a power auger?? Would be easier then finding a nills ??

because it would defeat the purpose of a drill auger. light and easy. plus a really heavy power auger bit would more then likely burn up a drill.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2017, 07:54 AM »
because it would defeat the purpose of a drill auger. light and easy. plus a really heavy power auger bit would more then likely burn up a drill.

take a look again at his reply... He is saying to buy the bit only. I don't believe that you need to have a "hand auger" bit. A 10" bit from a power auger should work just as good.... may even better with the increased speeds.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:00 AM »
What about the ION 10" bit?  I think its hard to find a 10" hand auger for a reason, you might need to be built like popeye to use it ;)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:03 AM »
now I'm in the search for a 10 inch hand auger at  a garage sale.just to have all the sizes...ive got  multiple 4,5,6,7,8,9" augers in hand/gas auger bits and need a 10.lol.i always wanted to hand crank a hole where my vexilar propack can fall right in.haha

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2017, 09:22 AM »
10" gas auger bit on a drill set up? Even with the Clam reduction gear, that set up would be a pig. Weight and speed reduction of the gearing plus the amount of ice that comes out of a 10" hole...I'd like to see that in action. How many holes do you think you would get with a heavy gas auger 10" bit??
The drills rigs are really only meant to spin light hand augers and maybe 8" max.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2017, 02:43 PM »
With the clam plate and electric drills pushing 1200in/lbs plus and clam having the gear box, are any companies coming out with 10in hand augers? I know nils has one, but they are about like finding a unicorn.....and expensive.

I'd like to get one just for the wheel house, so when it's cold a guy's hole doesn't ice closed so fast.

The real possibility is K-Drill. I'd bet money they have one near release.
If IceGator made any of their 9½" bits that's another choice. But don't send him any money because you'll have to get in line behind those that have paid for 9½" Auger bits and are still waiting from 2 years ago.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Google Arksen 10" ice augers bit....Cant beat that........
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2017, 03:59 PM »
So I Googled it, "Arksen 10" ice augers bit"
$65 on Amazon, in stock, 15 lbs.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Says ships free to walmart also......
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2017, 04:06 PM »
hes looking for  a 10 inch hand cranker,alot less weight than putting a heavy gas ice auger bit on a drill.might as well drag a gas auger with ya if your lugging a 15# auger bit connected to a drill.it  does say in the questions it can be used with a large cordless drill tho.lol.i might try one of those bits on my Michigander ice auger I just bought for 5 bucks..

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2017, 06:28 PM »
 i wouldn't put a bit designed for a gas power head on an electric drill, never mind 6" or 10".  but i'm pretty sure mora used to make a 10" hand crank.  my old soccer coach, also a prison guard, used to drill that thing through 3' of ice like nobody's business.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2017, 07:14 PM »
10" gas auger bit on a drill set up? Even with the Clam reduction gear, that set up would be a pig. Weight and speed reduction of the gearing plus the amount of ice that comes out of a 10" hole...I'd like to see that in action. How many holes do you think you would get with a heavy gas auger 10" bit??
The drills rigs are really only meant to spin light hand augers and maybe 8" max.

There was a guy on here last year that had a 10in nils on the Milwaukee 1200 in lb without the gear reduction. said it cut like a dream and worked great, and was pretty light weight. I can probly find a nils someplace, but for a 10in nils, spare cutting head and everything I'd hate to know how much it was.I  Like my 8in nils, but got that for $125 shipped on a cabelas deal and found a used cutting head frank sharpened for $45. I'm afraid with the limited amount of the nils 10in you'd be talking well over $200 for the auger and at least $99 for a spare head. Hence why I'm looking for a different hand auger. I've been scanning the bay for an old 10in mora with the screw connector & trying to find the guy on the bay that makes the clam plate adaptor to them. Figured I could maybe get in to the 10in for $60-$80 that way since I'd only use it in the wheel house.

Found it in the ice auger bit where it was under OMG nils won't take back......

I do use the 10" Nils on my Clamplate. My plate does not have the gear box. I have zero issues punching holes with it. If I intend on punching a lot of holes I just put the bit back on the Tanaka.
My Mikita has 1000in/lbs of torque. Your Milwaukee should work great

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Why not just drill two or three 8 inch holes close together??  then punch out the rest with a spud??   if it's just for a flasher  that's why guys like that 6inch laser or 7 inch mora cause.. they punch 3 holes in a triangle shape and gives more area at that point.. another point is  why buy non need equipment.  Is most likely a lot of guys views.. and why they don't make it.. like a lot are saying that the 8 inch is hard enough to turn.  That's why they don't make the 10 inch..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:28 PM »
If it's for a fish house won't a 10 inch "ion" electric auger bit work with your drill??  Or what about buying the ion it's self??

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:39 PM »
If it's for a fish house won't a 10 inch "ion" electric auger bit work with your drill??  Or what about buying the ion it's self??

My uncle has an Ion. Tried it. It is not bad for an 8in bit, but if you try the 10in bit u can get on them it is way underpowered for the 10in bit. Also the batteries are expensive for them, and the handles stick out and get in the way when trying to drill some of the holes. I think the biggest battery is a 5ah, the original came with a 4ah. The batteries are expensive, and it cuts somewhat slow.

I found the 1200in/lb Milwaukee drill on a clam plate to be a lot easier to fit into tight corners in the wheel house. I have two batteries that came with it (5ah) and can take the drill off it and put a bit in it to raise my wheel house up so I don't have to crank it. Plus it's super light weight. I've already got all of it, and just looking for a 10in light weight hand auger so when it's cold out the holes don't freeze closed so fast, same for the tip up holes. If I could find a decent 10in hand auger, I'd probly get the 9ah battery to up the amount of holes I could cut if I was going out to find fish. I'm guessing a clam plate/Milwaukee/10in hand auger would be around 20 lbs. I think my setup plate/milwaukee/8in nils is about 15lbs. I doubt any 10in setup would be lighter.

Thinking an old used 10in mora with the screw on/off handle and adaptor for it to the clam plate would run me about. $60-$70 if I can find them. An Ion 10in bit runs $180. If I needed new blades for the 10in mora I believe the 10in ion blades would work on it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Why not just drill two or three 8 inch holes close together??  then punch out the rest with a spud??   if it's just for a flasher  that's why guys like that 6inch laser or 7 inch mora cause.. they punch 3 holes in a triangle shape and gives more area at that point.. another point is  why buy non need equipment.  Is most likely a lot of guys views.. and why they don't make it.. like a lot are saying that the 8 inch is hard enough to turn.  That's why they don't make the 10 inch..

It is for in my wheel house. It's a big enough pain getting one drilled, centered, and straight. Trying to drill three......especially in the tight corners would be a pain. Plus the hole reverse to Un slush the hole wouldn't work so well. I've got a 6in lazer, three 8in hand augers. (Two which I'm willing to sell) and a 8in jiffy 'model 30 3hp. Need and want are two different things lol. If one $70-$80 investment makes things easier for the next few hrs and seasons I'm willing to pay it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2017, 10:38 PM »
I hear ya on the other points..  I sent you a pm on who sells the nils 10 inch nils hand auger for $360 might want to call them ?? and maybe pre sale buy it so they can order it in for you?? B4 ice season? ?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2017, 10:44 PM »
Prospector from wyoming has a 10in nils on a milwaukee drill, but I'm pretty sure it was not your normal around the house drill and that thing cut like no other thru 2'+ of ice. No Prob. No plate needed. I'll hit him up and see if he has a pic of it or info on it
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2017, 11:06 PM »
Prospector from wyoming has a 10in nils on a milwaukee drill, but I'm pretty sure it was not your normal around the house drill and that thing cut like no other thru 2'+ of ice. No Prob. No plate needed. I'll hit him up and see if he has a pic of it or info on it
Milwaukee super hawg

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 03, 2017, 12:04 AM »
Milwaukee super hawg

Yep I got the same drill........I had the Milwaukee 725in/lb drill which worked fine on my 8in nils. But I had to get the 1200 in/lb when it came out.  I put the chuck back on the 725 then tried to use it to get the chuck screw lose from the 1200......the $@b managed to rip the drill and vice and a chunk of the counter top right off.

My uncle was also using it and the easy up bit to crank his shack up off the ice. He wasn't paying attention and basicly snaped the cable cord with it.....lol These drills will break your wrist.

prospector are you using the 9ah battery?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 03, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Yes 9ah. 4&5 ah work fine as well. 21 holes in 2 ft of hard ice with a 5ah. Have not done a test with a 9ah. I use a quick release chuck and welded a male end on the auger bit. I got my auger from M.G.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Aug 03, 2017, 12:35 PM »
I hear ya on the other points..  I sent you a pm on who sells the nils 10 inch nils hand auger for $360 might want to call them ?? and maybe pre sale buy it so they can order it in for you?? B4 ice season? ?

While I'd like a nils. I'm not paying $360 for a 10in hand auger, and $199.00 for a 10in cutting head. I'll wait and see if I can find an old 10in mora. That is just rediculous.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 03, 2017, 05:19 PM »
While I'd like a nils. I'm not paying $360 for a 10in hand auger, and $199.00 for a 10in cutting head. I'll wait and see if I can find an old 10in mora. That is just rediculous.

I don't blame ya one bit I don't like nils I got two of them sharpening costs a arm and a leg same with the blades.. your looking at half the cost of the auger for a spare head in the 8 inch most likely same price on ten inch.. to bad no one made a blade conversion for the mora to a laser.. in a  8 inch laser or the 10 inch to a power laser bit  would be nice.. sharpening is cheap for those blades and they cut that much better.. then the mora.. but I can wish in one hand and crap in the other.. guess wich gets filled first??  ;D

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 03, 2017, 07:10 PM »
For electric drill augers, I like the angle of the mora blades myself... They are easy to sharpen too..

They are really light, and I've heard about them being sold in a 10 at some point in the past..

Might be an option...

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.