Author Topic: Braided line for Pike leaders  (Read 13369 times)

Offline jmcm1972

• IceShanty Rookie
Braided line for Pike leaders
« on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:24 AM »
I have been fishing for Pike in my area for a long time, we used to use English hooks when I was a kid, bit they don't seem to produce like they used to. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on braided line leaders?

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Braided line for Pike leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2017, 01:14 PM »
Braid is the worst material you can use for a leader. It has poor abrasion resistance and will cut you to the bone if a big fish takes off while you're holding the line.

Offline jmcm1972

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2017, 03:00 AM »
Well thank you. Do you have reccomendation?

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Heavy floro 60lb+ or steel.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:33 PM »
I agree, I don't know why anyone would ever use superbraid on a tip up at all. As a mainline it will cut you to the bone, as a leader it is the most likely to get cut off. 10# mono or fluoro vs 10# superbraid, the mono is much more tooth resistant. Not to mention, the braid is just as visible as steel, so you might as well use steel. For about 4 years now I have been running a mix of fluoro and steel leaders summer and winter. 3 years ago I even spent the whole year just fluoro. The past couple years I have been running about a 50% mix, but I am just not seeing any increase with fluoro leaders. I have been keeping a journal, and pike in my area are just as likely to hit a rig with steel leader as they are for a fluoro. I run 15#-20# Cortland Toothy Critter coated wire, and 50 pound cabelas (seaguar) fluorocarbon. I have had 4 bite offs on the 50 pound fluorocarbon, but one was most likely wrapped around something sharp. The other 3 are most likely pike teeth. Still, that's maybe a bite off every 75 fish or so. I've never lost a fish on steel leader. Google can't find an "English" hook. Some pictures of a kahle hook show up, is that it? A big kahle hook is good for small bait, but bait over 6" (what big pike prefer), a quickstrike is better, or at least a circle hook.
-Tom

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Ditch the braid, everything mentioned so far is a much better alternative.. Me personaly i use 30lb P-Line , single treble.. Its all personal preference.. Except for using braid, to be frank its useless in ice fishing for pike..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2017, 09:57 AM »
For jigging the bigger, toothier species I run Trilene XT then a swivel and then a 1 to 1-1/2 foot leader of flouro.

For lakers both main line and leader are 8#.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Ummm why not Google 'kahle hook'? Plenty of pics show up, they look like the old Banjo Minnow hooks.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2017, 08:29 AM »
I run an 18 inch leader made from Power Pro 30# green. Have never not once had a break off.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Why would you even try? The 15# steel leader I use is the same thickness as 30# power pro, and it will never get bit off. Power pro will get bit off. You would be better off with 30# mono, its less visible, and more durable. I do use braid as a mainline on my jigging reels, but it has no place on a tip up period.
-Tom

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Been doing it that way for longer than i can remember. I will stick with it. To each there own.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2018, 06:46 PM »
30 green power pro I agree.Never had a break off no fancy pliers or memory from steel leaders.In my opinion wire in the water the fish  can see as well as probably smell.Now if you use a treble hook than wire is a must.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2018, 07:05 PM »
I like a 6 inch steel leader and a single size 2 treble. All my hookups are in the corner of the mouth. Never had any issues. In my opinion, If you need longer than a 6” leader, you’re waiting to long to set the hook. Obviously, a longer leader won’t hurt and clearly it produces. However, less is more for me. With the steel leader only being 6”, it also has a tendency to not become a coily mess. There just isn’t enough length there for it to happen. I’d like to make a few titanium leaders and see how they work out.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2018, 08:47 AM »
i use 65 or 80 power pro  cheap thin and easy to use especially since i make my leaders 4-5 ft long. strong but you have to pay close attention after multiple fish. i have been made a fool of twice now on fish pushing the 20 lb mark.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Sigh...  ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Sigh...  ::)

LOL.  They will never learn.  Ha ha.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:16 AM »
Honestly PK23, when superlines first hit the market the musky guides were throwing away their steel leaders. Best thing since sliced bread... I believed and it took half of a one day trip to make up my mind. Now the problem is folks try stuff based on marketing or other folks' say so and count it as gospel. A little luck and it becomes an opinion re-enforced by their experiences.

You and I are only different in the experiences we've had.

Offline Takes2Long

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Can't believe the hate for braid. I use 3 ft leaders of 30-50 lb. braid and have never had a pike snap off or had the line cut me. To each there own I suppose.

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:15 AM »
40lbs HT tip-up line tied to 30lb Seaguar fluorocarbon leaders on my tip-ups. I will never go back to steel leaders... Haven't tried braid for leader material, not sure how it would be for abrasion, like on toothy critters?

The heavy 40lb dacron is easy to manage and doesn't seem to twist and tangle as much as the lighter line when you have a pile of it out on the ice after catching a fish...The fluorocarbon leader is pretty transparent, even the pink seems to work well...

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Braid of any size is not a leader for pike/muskie. Its not about preference - its reality. Respect the fish!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:40 AM »
even decent heavy mono  has better abrasion resistance than braid..

Offline Takes2Long

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:56 PM »
I'm eating my words now. ::)

Lost about a 35" northern at the hole last week after he wore his way through my 50 lb. braid leader. First fish I've had snap off on that leader type in 10 years of using it. I will now be rethinking my set up....

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:00 PM »

Lost about a 35" northern at the hole last week after he wore his way through my 50 lb. braid leader. First fish I've had snap off on that leader type in 10 years of using it. I will now be rethinking my set up....

It's OK T2L. It happens eventually. If you want to see how risky any superline (braid or fused, Spectra, Kevlar, Dyneema) is take a length, put it over a new single edge razor blade. That's about how sharp pike teeth are. Now put on a bit of pressure and let it slide about a quarter inch. Yeah... Can't cut it with clippers, regular scissors, dull knife but put it on really sharp and let it slide just a bit. You're better off with fluoro or even hard mono. Braid diameter will not protect you like either of the other two plastic choices.

Superline leaders have their place. I use 'em if the primary target is walleye or bass and I can live with the occasional bite off.

Sorry for your loss... :(

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2019, 12:36 PM »

Bummer deal man but that’s ok. As fishermen, I’m pretty sure we have all eaten a few words here and there. :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2019, 06:11 PM »
I honestly can’t believe guys in this thread are using braid for pike leaders  ??? Are you guys crazy? Braid isn’t abrasion resistant at all. I use flouro for my leaders and quick strikes and have never broke off on a pike.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 06, 2019, 10:45 AM »
the strength of braid is the fibers going length ways not cross ways....too easy to cut on pike teeth. wire for me forever !
I am haunted by waters...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.