The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: John Heinz Ice Fishing ?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
John Heinz Ice Fishing ?
« on: Feb 20, 2015, 11:01 AM »
Has anyone ever given it a shot? I know it doesn't normally freeze and it is tidal but maybe with this weather it could be fishable....

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: John Heinz Ice Fishing ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:55 PM »
sr73087,I;m a local from delco. In all of the years I've been ice fishing, I have never heard of any fishing on that piece of water. Tidal is right and it could spell trouble. It looks to be a hassle getting out there anywhere, also you would have to fish with the changing of the tides. I looked at another piece of water in that area,which is not tidal, last Sunday(2/15), and it too was a disappointment. I'm talking about what used to be known as the I95 "car wash". It sits alongside of 291 East just before the Bartram Ave. intersection. There's actually a place to park right off of 291, a hundred feet or so from the water. In the past I've seen people warm weather fishing there and have heard it rumored that ice fishing was being done there. There were two problems with that spot when I looked it over. First, the edge ice was not safe. At that point in time I couldn't figure why this was. It appeared that the ice further out may have been ok, but who knows, unless your out on it. I wasn't about to risk a boot full of water as cold as it was on that afternoon to find out. Second, it is so over grown with brush,briars and saplings right to the waters edge, a person can hardly navigate around the shoreline. Good luck trying to tote any gear through that quagmire. Yep, it's pretty sad that in this county there is literally no place to ice fish, it's essentially the same for any type of quality still water angling. This place (Delaware County),is in my opinion the worst in the state when it comes to the still water fishing experience. Kids growing up here today will never have the opportunity to learn about angling close to home like I had. Thank you Aqua Pa! >:( >:( ??? ??? :'( :'(
ttt

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:58 PM »
Delco is definitely the bottom of the barrel for lakes. When I moved here 23 years ago you were allowed to fish Springton, and there were  even legitimate parking spots. Not any more Aqua mega corp fixed that. :( Now I have to drive by a 600 acre lake every day knowing it is loaded with fish that you can't legally catch. :'(

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Anyone been down in that area lately? I know the ice breakers are out on the delaware.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Started thinking about this again with the cold and more cold coming. The tidal aspect shouldn't be a killer, I know in Connecticut and I am sure other places they fish tidal river ice. They just know the tide and bring a board.

Offline Clearfieldbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:56 PM »
Started thinking about this again with the cold and more cold coming. The tidal aspect shouldn't be a killer, I know in Connecticut and I am sure other places they fish tidal river ice. They just know the tide and bring a board.

Many years ago my grandfather & I hardwater fished Northeast, Md. It had to be early 70's and very cold, but we were getting white perch. Don't even know if you could fish it if it was cold enough for ice now a days. Just throwing that out there. ;)

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Delco sux  >:( >:(  for ice fishing and for that matter all other types of still water fishing!! I used to live there and over my lifetime, opportunities for anglers has gone from good to bad to worse. I wouldn't waste 1 second on John Heinz also it's Federal Govmnt. there and they have a different type of operational procedure vs PA Fish & Boat Commission. I don't live in PA anymore but I still fish hardwater there. Most of the rest of SEPA sux in regard to ice fishing too. If you live in Delco you have to drive at least 25 to 35 miles to the closest legally accessible lake, big pain in the ass fighting all of that traffic coming and going. Nearby South Jersey has much more to offer and there are no crowds on the lakes I fish when they are frozen. looks like I'll be fishing in Jersey very soon. Snot freezing weather is on the way. :o ::) :tipup:
ttt

Offline chrisfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2019, 02:48 PM »
Tidal ice fishing is definitely possible.  Was out in tidal Delaware River ice last year and absolutely cleaned up on slob perch and crappie.  Just gotta time it right and find a safe way on the ice because the edges are usually trashed,  but once you get out in the main ice it’s as safe as a lake. 

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:09 PM »
I'm in Connecticut alot of my time and they fish alot of river coves here. Usually they bring a board to get on just as the tide is going out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.