Author Topic: Jiffy PRO-4 or 4G - Buying on Monday  (Read 2034 times)

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy PRO-4 or 4G - Buying on Monday
« on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Like the title says, I'm either getting a PRO-4 or a 4G Jiffy and looking for any opinions regarding either of these, from what I've been able to find, they are pretty comparable.  Please save the Strikemaster, Eskimo, etc. discussion for another time, I live 5 minutes from where Jiffy is made so I'm staying with them. 

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: Jiffy PRO-4 or 4G - Buying on Monday
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:02 PM »
If it were me i would probably go propane as no fuel smell or mess. both seem to be good units and being that close to the factory i doubt you would have anything to worry about.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:11 PM »
If you can get over the weight, go propane.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline PFUNK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Happy owner of a Pro-4 Propane here. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:56 PM »
This is my second year with the pro 4 and it works great.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2013, 11:32 PM »
Cut nearly 200 holes this year with the pro 4. Still on first tank.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:52 AM »
if it was me i'd go with the propane and stay away from the mess of the gas,not that its really that messy but at least if the propane leaks it just floats away and dosent spill on your gear...

Offline keithire2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:21 AM »
Very happy with the pro 4. Starts on first or second pull every time. Quiet and no messy fuel to deal with

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:51 AM »
The Propane has no choke and starts first  pull after initial one or two pulls to start the day, 4G is cold hearted like any 4- stroke of today's no matter whose company, both have a weak spot and that's the throttle cable/lever, we carry 5 to 15 spares on our shelves. I have never seen a recoil go bad on either model, only have one spare and its been on the shelf for two years,  compared to the other 2500/3500 models, we try to carry 5-15 of those spares as well, because we've replaced 30 or so this year alone.  The propanes have had a history of bad LP delivery system for the Generation 1, cured with the generation 2, but carbs have been either great out of the box or need to be adjusted or replaced. Even some new carbs were not good. Seen two or three bad transmissions, the drive spline falls thru the press fitting in the clutch hub and drill its way down the bottom plastic lower case. Seen one Gen 1 that the bushings were so loosely fitted that the thing howled when ramping up and down. Also first year or so the plastic composition of the transmission cases were a bit brittle, ( all new models)  that's been changed to a more plyable compound. My choice is propane, ethanol gas sucks whether 2 or 4 stroke.  We are Central Maine's Authorized Jiffy Warranty/Repair/service/Sales New & Used Dealer, I have seen many of both models, good thing about Jiffy is the support you get from them, you won't get hung out to dry.

-Marcel
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:52 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll go for the propane. Now I just wish someone made a high quality, re-fillable 1 pound cylinder, but that's a whole different topic.

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:54 AM »
Marcel, is that throttle cable/lever a part that's easily replaced on the ice?  Just wondering if it pays to grab a spare one right away in case I need it.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:57 AM »
I have the 4G and it's not bad starting at all.. you cant over prime and flood it, a tank of gas will last forever..I'm still on my first one actually. I did have to tweak the carb on the first start up, but now runs very well. I do believe they are the same motor as the pro4 because two of my buddies have them and they look and sound identical. The pro4 is still quicker on the draw with no priming etc. but in side by side comparison they are extremely similar.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:10 AM »
Marcel, is that throttle cable/lever a part that's easily replaced on the ice?  Just wondering if it pays to grab a spare one right away in case I need it.

Some of the guys keep one handy, it is easy to replace, need a Phillip's #2 screwdriver and a pair of slip joint pliers ( or a Leatherman), The unit sells for $15 or so, and like most of the parts on those new Jiffy's are very cheap, compared to the Eskimo's or SM stuff. I would add that abuse or lack of care is most of the problem, guys that take care, like have covers for their powerheads, and don't throw these arround generally have no issues.
Marcel & Dylan Larose

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:15 AM »
I have the 4G and it's not bad starting at all.. you cant over prime and flood it, a tank of gas will last forever..I'm still on my first one actually. I did have to tweak the carb on the first start up, but now runs very well. I do believe they are the same motor as the pro4 because two of my buddies have them and they look and sound identical. The pro4 is still quicker on the draw with no priming etc. but in side by side comparison they are extremely similar.

To clarify, I only meant that cold hearted was that it did start a bit harder than the Pro 4 , because there is a choke lever and primer which adds to the mix, compared to the Pro 4 which only has a momentary off switch no other controls. Also they do need to be feathered or warmed a bit before drilling your first hole, I agree with you it is as sweet as both are nearly identical in every other way.

-Marcel
Marcel & Dylan Larose

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:02 AM »
The Propane has no choke and starts first  pull after initial one or two pulls to start the day, 4G is cold hearted like any 4- stroke of today's no matter whose company, both have a weak spot and that's the throttle cable/lever, we carry 5 to 15 spares on our shelves. I have never seen a recoil go bad on either model, only have one spare and its been on the shelf for two years,  compared to the other 2500/3500 models, we try to carry 5-15 of those spares as well, because we've replaced 30 or so this year alone.  The propanes have had a history of bad LP delivery system for the Generation 1, cured with the generation 2, but carbs have been either great out of the box or need to be adjusted or replaced. Even some new carbs were not good. Seen two or three bad transmissions, the drive spline falls thru the press fitting in the clutch hub and drill its way down the bottom plastic lower case. Seen one Gen 1 that the bushings were so loosely fitted that the thing howled when ramping up and down. Also first year or so the plastic composition of the transmission cases were a bit brittle, ( all new models)  that's been changed to a more plyable compound. My choice is propane, ethanol gas sucks whether 2 or 4 stroke.  We are Central Maine's Authorized Jiffy Warranty/Repair/service/Sales New & Used Dealer, I have seen many of both models, good thing about Jiffy is the support you get from them, you won't get hung out to dry.

-Marcel
When buying, how do you tell the difference between a Generation 1 and 2?

Offline iceman clem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch all kind of fish big and small
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I have a new pro4 and best move I have made and I have drilled a lot of holes on same tank and they are quiet end of season take old tank off and put back in box till next season very easy

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Jiffy Pro4  @)
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:07 PM »
When buying, how do you tell the difference between a Generation 1 and 2?

1. The Gen 2 has a sticker that say's " this end up"...cause people would lay them upside down... think of your car...upside down?/ the fluids all run out...oil from the crankcase...

2. The dip stick was put in horizontally hard to check the oillevel,..Gen 2 was placed vertically like all other motors in your lifetime.... pull the stick, wipe it reinsert and then check.

3. The biggest improvement, replaced the aluminum tube LP delivery line from the regulator to the carburetor,  that was replaced mid year by the steel tube system ( first year model only). The second year and this third years  model  has the carb rotated  180 degrees and has a brass nipple from the regulator directly coupling the carb.... "KISS" keep it simple stupid... much better design, they have run this two years now....

Just need to get consistent with the carbs is all, and or have someone in the know on how to backdoor tweak them.... because if there good then you are in but if its iffy then your in for some trial and error.... over all on anything that's out there,,, I choose Propane all the way.

-Marcel
Marcel & Dylan Larose

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:53 PM »
1. The Gen 2 has a sticker that say's " this end up"...cause people would lay them upside down... think of your car...upside down?/ the fluids all run out...oil from the crankcase...

2. The dip stick was put in horizontally hard to check the oillevel,..Gen 2 was placed vertically like all other motors in your lifetime.... pull the stick, wipe it reinsert and then check.

3. The biggest improvement, replaced the aluminum tube LP delivery line from the regulator to the carburetor,  that was replaced mid year by the steel tube system ( first year model only). The second year and this third years  model  has the carb rotated  180 degrees and has a brass nipple from the regulator directly coupling the carb.... "KISS" keep it simple stupid... much better design, they have run this two years now....

Just need to get consistent with the carbs is all, and or have someone in the know on how to backdoor tweak them.... because if there good then you are in but if its iffy then your in for some trial and error.... over all on anything that's out there,,, I choose Propane all the way.

-Marcel
thanks for the post. I'm on the edge of either going jiffy propane or ion; both I'd wait for this coming season to see if they do more improving.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:40 PM »
Thanks for info, Dag's Bait! I'm looking for one and never would have known if I was being sold the older model.

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:38 PM »
I wouldnt rule out the Strikemaster 2.5 horse. Very lightweight and cuts like a bangee.
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:10 PM »
I heard from a fishing guide that the Jiffy propane model for next year is suppose to be about 7 pounds lighter. I'm not sure if this guide I talked to is sponsored by Jiffy and gets the inside scoop or not. I'm interested in seeing what changes Jiffy makes to their propane model for next season.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2013, 05:56 AM »
thanks for the post. I'm on the edge of either going jiffy propane or ion; both I'd wait for this coming season to see if they do more improving.

Ion was available in 8 inch only this year, Regional Rep just told me that they will have a bigger bit for next year, hopefully a 10 inch..

-Marcel
Marcel & Dylan Larose

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2013, 06:51 AM »
Ion was available in 8 inch only this year, Regional Rep just told me that they will have a bigger bit for next year, hopefully a 10 inch..

-Marcel
ive been running a 10" for the last three years. I wish ion or the jiffy propane came in 6". 10" are easy to lose stuff down the hole and too easy to have a foot go in and break an ankle. Plus the smaller diameter holes drill way faster.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2013, 09:01 AM »
2nd year with my Pro4, I like it but when it is extremely cold (-20*F) and the tank is low it gets tempermental. It idles very high and bogs when you give it throttle. At this point I don't think I would trade it for any other auger out there. I like the no gas smell in the SUV and the 1-2 pull start up is great also. They are a bit on the heavy side though.

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:16 PM »
pro 4 hands down!  The pro 4 is quick quick quick and comes with an amazing warranty and a great company backing up that warranty.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:47 PM »
2nd year with my Pro4, I like it but when it is extremely cold (-20*F) and the tank is low it gets tempermental. It idles very high and bogs when you give it throttle. At this point I don't think I would trade it for any other auger out there. I like the no gas smell in the SUV and the 1-2 pull start up is great also. They are a bit on the heavy side though.

I have this exact same problem.  There were even a few times this winter where I would have to bring the entire unit into the shack until it warmed up.  I have a problem with the blade as well.  One day it just wouldn't cut the same.  Getting the hole started was a chore and it would always start to just spin even though the blades weren't frozen.  I'm really not sure what is up.  I tried new blades and that did not seem to fix it.  It got to the point where I don't even use it anymore.  I just borrow my friends because it is such an issue.  It was a great unit up until a few weeks ago though except there is a hose that goes into the carb that always seems to get loose and leak.  I wouldn't buy it again.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2013, 02:38 AM »
I have this exact same problem.  There were even a few times this winter where I would have to bring the entire unit into the shack until it warmed up.  I have a problem with the blade as well.  One day it just wouldn't cut the same.  Getting the hole started was a chore and it would always start to just spin even though the blades weren't frozen.  I'm really not sure what is up.  I tried new blades and that did not seem to fix it.  It got to the point where I don't even use it anymore.  I just borrow my friends because it is such an issue.  It was a great unit up until a few weeks ago though except there is a hose that goes into the carb that always seems to get loose and leak.  I wouldn't buy it again.
Extreme low temps is difficult on all equipment, Propane is no different, a pain on a heater, stove or an auger when you get to -20 and add in the wind chill factor. As far as the cutting goes, as you said it went bad one day,.. blades that are dull or a new set installed improperly is generally something that has a Human factor involved. If the bottom of your auger is loose it will oscillate and wobble to the point it won't cut...check that part and make sure its tight, also ensure you have the blade bolted with the head of the bolt towards the ice and the locknut up towards the auger head. the nuts are twice as thick as the head of the bolt and keeps the blade from dropping down into the ice. Hopes this helps...

-Marcel
Marcel & Dylan Larose

Offline Kavorka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2013, 04:51 AM »
Propane!  I get 90 holes with one tank...quiet, powerful,4stroke

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.