The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Husqvarna ice augers?  (Read 36649 times)

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Husqvarna ice augers?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I just ordered one of these units in the 10 inch bit,   it comes in 2 days,    I hope it lives up to the hype,   what oils are you running in these things?   and at what ratios?
They suggest the Husqvarna 2 stroke oil for small engines (I use the same in all my saws)The oil comes in small containers that is perfect for a 5 liter can mixed 50:1

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I just ordered one of these units in the 10 inch bit,   it comes in 2 days,    I hope it lives up to the hype,   what oils are you running in these things?   and at what ratios?

Break it in with regular dino oil at the recomended ratio and after you have run a tank of gas through it run Opti2 or Amsoil at 100:1.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:39 AM »

First tank break in I always mix a bit heavy on the oil.  Add a teaspoon or so of extra oil to the tank before filling.  I run Klotz super techniplate at 50:1 in all of my 2 strokes including 4 Husqvarna saws and a Lawn Boy mower that calls for 32:1.

Synthetics are fine for break in contrary to popular belief.  In fact many engines these days are delivered with synthetic as factory fill.

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Well just got back in from the shop and had them look the flighting and blades over and we compared side by side with a brand new flighting.
Everything looks perfect!!

Like I said the handle mounting bar and brackets were bent so maybe somehow thats throwing it off a bit?

I like the auger in every aspect except this issue so far!!
Total weight including gas is under 22lbs ;D big differnce from my 10 inch Jiffy that weighs 39 lbs.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #64 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Do they make an extension for the normark cutters?
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Total weight including gas is under 22lbs ;D big differnce from my 10 inch Jiffy that weighs 39 lbs.

Funny, In Fisherman Ice says the Strikemaster Strike Lite is lightest. 

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Funny, In Fisherman Ice says the Strikemaster Strike Lite is lightest.

What are they listed at?
I weighed my power head with half a tank of gas on a digital scale at 12lbs 8oz's and the flighting with bolts and blades at 8lbs 9oz's for a total weight of 21lbs 1 oz.

Again this is a 225AI25 with an 8 inch flighting.

Mike

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Strikemaster published spec is 23#

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Strikemaster published spec is 23#
Strike lite is a sweet drill but looks like the husky has it beat..... In fisherman pfft! Lol

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #69 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:01 AM »
Strike lite is a sweet drill but looks like the husky has it beat..... In fisherman pfft! Lol

Yeah, and Strike Lite cant cut a 10 inch hole    ;D

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Offline yukon_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:04 AM »
Sorry guys, when I have more time I'll provide all the info and answer any questions I can. For now I'll just say I have a Husky and I'm pleased with it to this point (it's on it's fourth tank). I bought it because all my research on this site suggested that the old brands aren't what they once were and I wanted a reliable auger. Huskys are made by Normark in Sweden and the are unchanged for the last 20 years. More later and I'll reply to any PMs, either individually or in my next post to this thread.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:46 AM »
Hey there just curious what blades you guys are using ..... Just bought a used 8 inch and the auger has an issue going through the final bit of ice ( really grabs ).

My thought was that the blades are possibly not right ..... Maybe to steep of an angle? The previous owner replaced the blades with mora blades (napa cross referenced apparently.) The auger cuts like a hot damn otherwise.

Nothing else makes sense to me so I was gonna call and order some right from the dealer.

Thoughts?
About 7 years ago I bought the smallest eskimo and it did the same thing when the ice was thick, it would bind at the bottom of the hole, this is called lack of power, 1.2 hp is on the weak side, so I sold it and got the 3 hp 85cc eskimo with the techumseh head and its just a beast, never bogs or binds just blasts through. You need to feather it and clean the hole out often with these little augers.

Mike
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:01 AM »
Trust me, it has nothing to do with lack of power. Despite what you may believe the 85cc eskimo was far from the king of ice augers, theres a reason it was only made for a very short time(not to mention its days are numbered due to lack of parts). You couldnt hold on to a husky or tanaka if they had 3 horsepower, it would break your arms as the gearing is totally different. I have yet to be impressed by the speed of any eskimo so im willing to bet that 40 pound thing of yours in no faster, you said it yourself its hard starting and only you can start it. I can start mine on its side in 1 pull and will liikely have 5+holes done before yours is started. I would be surprised if it was any faster than my 15 year old jiffy or my husky, but like I said in an earlier post im not there to auger race im there to fish so reliability is key. Huskys and tanakas are in a league of their own and dont require the kind of power jiffys and mo's do to cut efficiently. All my friends bought eskimos because they were cheap, entry-level augers and now most of them are upgrading or wanting to upgrade.. im sure your 40 pound, hard starting auger is the exception though.  ::)

Please quit trolliing this thread and get back to the eskimo thread so you can remain convinced you have the best auger out there, ever, period.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:12 AM »
To put this into perspective, a Husqvarna or Tanaka engine is more of a commercial grade product.  It's like Comparing a Tecumseh or Briggs to a Honda.  Or a Homelite Super 2 saw to a Stihl or Husqvarna of similar displacement.  The Tec and Briggs units carried over most of their technology from the '60's. 

Don't get me wrong I'm a made in USA kind of guy, but sometimes you have to buy what is best. 

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:06 PM »
 :clap:    T  minus 55 minutes before I pick up my new Husky Auger    :woot:    I cant wait    :clap:

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Trust me, it has nothing to do with lack of power. Despite what you may believe the 85cc eskimo was far from the king of ice augers, theres a reason it was only made for a very short time(not to mention its days are numbered due to lack of parts). You couldnt hold on to a husky or tanaka if they had 3 horsepower, it would break your arms as the gearing is totally different. I have yet to be impressed by the speed of any eskimo so im willing to bet that 40 pound thing of yours in no faster, you said it yourself its hard starting and only you can start it. I can start mine on its side in 1 pull and will liikely have 5+holes done before yours is started. I would be surprised if it was any faster than my 15 year old jiffy or my husky, but like I said in an earlier post im not there to auger race im there to fish so reliability is key. Huskys and tanakas are in a league of their own and dont require the kind of power jiffys and mo's do to cut efficiently. All my friends bought eskimos because they were cheap, entry-level augers and now most of them are upgrading or wanting to upgrade.. im sure your 40 pound, hard starting auger is the exception though.  ::)

Please quit trolliing this thread and get back to the eskimo thread so you can remain convinced you have the best auger out there, ever, period.
No always looking for a better auger, if that does exist, cost not an issue,  I have not used the husky so I am only looking at specs,  I have had one in my hands in the store and I would be Leary putting this thing in my sleigh like I do with my all steel barracuda with all the plastic on it, but it may be made of the higher quality stronger plastic.  Sorry guys I will shut up until I try one.  Layne if your ever interested in fishing Lake Winnipeg PM me, I will take you out, bring your husky,  make a believer out of me!  Cheers

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #76 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:23 PM »
No always looking for a better auger, if that does exist, cost not an issue,  I have not used the husky so I am only looking at specs,  I have had one in my hands in the store and I would be Leary putting this thing in my sleigh like I do with my all steel barracuda with all the plastic on it, but it may be made of the higher quality stronger plastic.  Sorry guys I will shut up until I try one.  Layne if your ever interested in fishing Lake Winnipeg PM me, I will take you out, bring your husky,  make a believer out of me!  Cheers

If all goes according to plan I hope to make it down there in march and would be happy to let you give it a whirl. I would also be happy to do a side by side comparison on video then we can settle this debate once and for all, haha. I will definitely take you up on your offer if you know where the big girls are hiding, been wanting to fish LW for a looong time.

:tipup:

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:25 PM »
:clap:    T - 55 minutes before I pick up my new Husky Auger    :woot:    I cant wait    :clap:

Lucky Dog!

I won't have mine until next weekend.  Then again I do have one of the better running Jiffy 2hp pro models around so I'm not lacking in drilling capability...

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Lucky Dog!

I won't have mine until next weekend.  Then again I do have one of the better running Jiffy 2hp pro models around so I'm not lacking in drilling capability...

I picked up a brand new Strikemaster Magnum yesterday too ( I know  I know, its a long story   ;) )  and I have an Icegator Attacker II and an eskimo Mako, as a backup, as well as a whole selection of hand augers if I ever get stuck,   I think I have an addiction   :'(        I wont even gas up the Strikemaster this season I dont think, I will save it as a backup

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:47 PM »
If all goes according to plan I hope to make it down there in march and would be happy to let you give it a whirl. I would also be happy to do a side by side comparison on video then we can settle this debate once and for all, haha. I will definitely take you up on your offer if you know where the big girls are hiding, been wanting to fish LW for a looong time.

I live 12 miles from the south basin, I fish it at least once a week and have a snowmobile and a atv with tracks, so I get around the lake and have some good spots.  I will have to sharpen the blades for the demonstration! LOL

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:20 PM »
I have one thats going on ten years, and has cut literally thousands of holes and still works like the day I bought it! A little video i did last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=416xBQ9J_pI

Did you happen to measure how thick the ice was when you did this video? 

It may not seem overly fast at first glance, but I have it at 7-8 seconds which is pretty darn quick and I'd guess that puts it over 2" per second if the ice is as thick as I think it looks.

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:09 PM »
I got the new Husky Auger out on the ice tonight to try it out, it works slicker than snot on a roosters lip   ;D   The auger bit is exactly the same as the 10 inch unit Strikemaster uses, with just 1 exception,  it mounts to the powerhead shaft with 2 bolts instead of the 1 bolt that strikemaster uses.   These drill units are made by MORA of Sweden.   The power head is small, and looks well constructed,  it started like a dream,  purrs like a kitten, one thing I noticed was its almost like it has a brake like an actual drill, as soon as I get off the throttle it stops spinning almost instantly,  it might be just that its totally new and not broken in yet, but my Strikemaster would continue to spin a little when you get off the throttle.   no big deal.   I like the feel of the handles and it cuts about the same as the strikemaster did, considering its the same auger,  I found I had to apply a little bit of down pressure to cut faster, and that may be attributed to the lightweight on this auger.  But I'm sure this powerhead will outlast the drill unit.   So far so good   I'll post pics and vids after this weekend

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Did you happen to measure how thick the ice was when you did this video? 

It may not seem overly fast at first glance, but I have it at 7-8 seconds which is pretty darn quick and I'd guess that puts it over 2" per second if the ice is as thick as I think it looks.

I don't remember measuring the thickness but my best guess would be 18-22inches

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:05 AM »
I don't remember measuring the thickness but my best guess would be 18-22inches

I'd like to see this auger against the Z71 shark in this vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwtlPkUSEj8

I have it at 15-16 seconds and they say just over 24" of ice

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:23 PM »
Hard to say what would win but if they were side by side and I had a choice to take one home and bet on it.....it would be the Husky!!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #85 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:33 PM »
My buddy had a brand new 10" Z71 out last weekend and im sure the husky had it beat with the 8" flighting, im going to mount the 10" and next time he's out I will try and make a video comparison.

Just a word of caution.. I bought my auger with the flighting all assembled, I assumed everything would be tight but when I was drilling this weekend I had 2 of 4 of the bolts holding my blades on come loose. Of course I lost the two little bolts so now I need to track some down, Im just glad I caught it before I wrecked my blades. Lucky for me I brought the jiffy for my buddies to use or we would have been SOL. Having to use that old thing for half a day made me appreciate my husky that much more, amazing how much easier drilling it is.

Make sure everything is tight and if you are doing the assembly yourself it wouldnt hurt to use a little dab of locktite.

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:45 PM »
I think these are mod'ed but damn is this fast!!

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:28 AM »
I think these are mod'ed but damn is this fast!!

Piped chainsaw engines.  I was thinking it would be cool to run my little 346XP on a drill as it's only about 12# powerhead only and plenty of power, RPM, and responsiveness.  I wonder how they did the transmission gearing?

It's obvious theat the one with 2 engines is just too big and clumsy.  They both look like they try to pull through faster that a person can keep a grip.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #88 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Thats freaking badass, im going to build me one of thoses.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:02 AM »
I'll have to wait another weekend to try my Husq as ice storms kept it from being shipped in time for this weekend.

On the mod augers if those guys would make a gearbox kit...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.