The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: jiffy model 30 clutch fix/replacement  (Read 10229 times)

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
jiffy model 30 clutch fix/replacement
« on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:51 AM »
anyone replace or repair the clutch before?  it seems like installing a new spring might be tough.  does the eskimo clutch really fit?  how do I remove the current one??  any help appreciated!!

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: jiffy model 30 clutch fix/replacement
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011, 01:06 PM »
I just replaced the clutch in my model 30 that I picked up this year. I went with a new clutch from jiffy. I figured it was just easier that way and less messing around and hoping the Eskimo springs we're the same. I did read on here that people have used the Eskimo springs and they worked for them. Like I said I replaced the clutch. The new one came assembled so all I had to do was remove the set screw and use a puller to remove the old clutch then put on new clutch and tighten set screw. I placed the new clutch flush on the end of the shaft cause that was where the old clutch was. It was pretty easy. Hope this helps some. If you go with a new one I would just call Jiffy and order it. They have been helpful with any questions I have had.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 04:12 PM »
If I can't get anyone to confirm that the eskimo one works on the jiffy 30 then I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the one from jiffy.  thanx for the info.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Ended up getting springs from strikemaster for the 3hp tecumseh, same ones as were in my jiffy model 30.  Not easy to get the setup back onto the hub....but they're the right springs!!

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:01 PM »
Good to know. Thanks.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Getting the springs onto the clutch weights is not at all easy!! 

FYI, for anyone else that has to do this you'll want basically a mini-awl (one of the tools from a hook and pick set like this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202857974/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) to stretch the spring into position and a flathead to push the end of the spring down into place.  Once I figured this method out, it wasn't long before the clutch was back together.

Offline Mrmagnetman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2018, 07:55 PM »
My auger has been slipping. So I  decided to take it apart and clean it out. It didn’t seem too dirty. Is the surface of the clutch shoes metal? Or did I wear the surface down to metal? The auger is only a few years old. Thanks

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2018, 06:29 PM »
My auger has been slipping. So I  decided to take it apart and clean it out. It didn’t seem too dirty. Is the surface of the clutch shoes metal? Or did I wear the surface down to metal? The auger is only a few years old. Thanks
They are metal. Don't grease or oil it. Wipe clean. Check your blades, make sure you have good blades and are sharpened at the correct angle. Model 30 Tecumseh's are more than a few years old, at least 10 years old.
It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.