Author Topic: PVC !!! Show us your PVC, Build, add-on, rod holders, ETC. Any with PVC pipe!  (Read 263096 times)

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
Lefty its 1 1/2 in, and they are key hooks with a 90 degree bend in them.  You set the rod tip under one hook and then run the line around the other so that the rod tip is pulled out from under the first hook, setting the line.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Lefty its 1 1/2 in, and they are key hooks with a 90 degree bend in them.  You set the rod tip under one hook and then run th line around the other so that the rod tip is pulled out from under the first hook, setting the line.

Could you take a close up picture of the hooks?
<===Lefty===

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
Thats a great idea!  but we need close up photos please  ;D

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here ya go

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
   Thanks Hounds.

I use the same thing.  They are so handy to have around the house for all kinds of homemade projects. 
  You can also get them in a lot of lengths, hooks and circle hooks as well.
  I'll try to post a pic also. Thanks again Hounds..

You can also heat em up red hot and bend them in to any shape you need.   

AltaIce
       @)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Here ya go

(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks I thought that was what you were talking about just wasn't sure.
<===Lefty===

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Hounds, not to be a pain in the... Any pics with it all set as being use while fishing? how the key hooks work as the trigger? where the line runs? I'm trying to get the whole picture to build my own. It would be greatly appreciated, thanks. bart
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hounds, not to be a pain in the... Any pics with it all set as being use while fishing? how the key hooks work as the trigger? where the line runs? I'm trying to get the whole picture to build my own. It would be greatly appreciated, thanks. bart

look back a page for those pics.
Pole tip goes under first hook, line goes over to second hook.  When a fish pulls on the line, the pole tip it pulled toward second hook, releasing it from first hook.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bart these are the best I have, we presently have no Ice in Indiana :(

The rod tip is under the hook on the left as you look at the picture.  The line from the rod tip is taken and run around the hook on the right.  When the fish takes the bait, the rod tip is pulled out from under the hook on the left and the hook is set.  Caught two Bluegills with it last year, during a very short season here in Northern Indiana.  Hope this helps.

This was a picture from last year I have since painted it orange, and added an audible alarm.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Hounds, thanks! I'm seeing it now. Question, the hook on the right where the line goes around, is the "L" hook necessary or just a stud type hook (the bend cut off,"l") would it work?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Hounds, thanks! I'm seeing it now. Question, the hook on the right where the line goes around, is the "L" hook necessary or just a stud type hook (the bend cut off,"l") would it work?
That is what I was thinking also. I think I will go out and get me some PVC today.
<===Lefty===

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
added a camera holder made of PVC put into a rod holder

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
    Added a camera holder made of PVC put into a rod holder

That is a great idea, Polski.

Easy setup, easy take down.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Hey everyone … Side Bar for a minute …

I came across this Really Cool set up… Posted by by   "adkRoy" 

You have to check it out…  I know a lot of us would love to do this… just by the ideas that have been shown on this thread.  See if you can see a fishing rod in it. … LOL ..  (( I could not find one fishing rod!! .. )

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=230127.0

Thanks again " adkRoy "

AltaIce
           @)

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bart it isn't neccessary.  It is just to pull the rod out from under the other hook.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Here ya go

OK,I got the parts and have most of it cut. It is taking a little time getting the Length just right. I know all poles are not created equal. My length at first cut was 18" but then I cut the pole holder part down some so that will have to be shorter. I will have to play around with it a little more to be sure the rod tip bends just right. Had to stop working on it as I am now cooking Corn Beef Brisket and Cabbage for dinner. Yes I am the cook in my house. I like it that way. I got my first Pressure cooker and I found a good recipe for Brisket.
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I only have one rod I use with mine, not sure the other I'm thinking about using will have enough energy for a good hookset.  Dryfire it at home by tying a weight to your set up and drop it and you can start fine tuning it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I only have one rod I use with mine, not sure the other I'm thinking about using will have enough energy for a good hookset.  Dryfire it at home by tying a weight to your set up and drop it and you can start fine tuning it.

Thanks will do.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Got one done. Not perfect but works good. I used a Zip Tie added to the tip of the pole for adjustment. If you want less tension use a longer zip tie.

The right and left hooks are for Righties and lefties. LOL :roflmao:
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good idea with the electrical tie.  I'll bet a snap swivel would work too.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Good idea with the electrical tie.  I'll bet a snap swivel would work too.

I am modifying it tomorrow to be more like yours. I need to tilt the front out so the line drops in the center of the hole instead of the edge of it. 
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New Smitty Sled

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
New Smitty Sled

Are those lag bolts or just threaded bolts so it will come off the sled?

Looks good.
<===Lefty===

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
New Smitty Sled
…………………………………………………………….
  Excellent !! " Hounds … Excellent build!

I love how strong it looks and is. The way you used a wide variety of of TEES and Elbows. With the amount of cross joints you have in both directions and side to side and front to back. It looks like it is very very strong. It looks like it would hold way more weight than one could pull across the snow. I know that Tees and any joint are not always cheap but they help give so much extra strength with tied in PVC pipes at certain places.
  I can't wait to see how it looks all loaded up on the ICE! The Hoarder in me … Yells … pack it on there Brother!  .. LOL ..

It looks so light also. I Like how you have hung the shovel and extra rope. Everything is in it's place and out of your way.
 Do you think you may need a couple of cross overs attached to the wood blocks from one ski block to the opposite side? ( just to limit the sway of the skis (possible little wobble) and even more strength?)

Thank you for showing us your PVC project.  Cool.

AltaIce
        @)

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They are Lag bolts, I'm not sure about the cross members that may be the next alteration.  I also plan to add 4 Lawn mower wheels about an 1/8 to 1/16th lower than the skis.  Thats for when I'm on pavement or cement that has been shoveled.  I still have to glue her up yet, but have everything dry fitted and ready.  Loaded it up to make sure everything fits.  Here is another pic with it loaded.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
They are Lag bolts, I'm not sure about the cross members that may be the next alteration.  I also plan to add 4 Lawn mower wheels about an 1/8 to 1/16th lower than the skis.  Thats for when I'm on pavement or cement that has been shoveled.  I still have to glue her up yet, but have everything dry fitted and ready.  Loaded it up to make sure everything fits.  Here is another pic with it loaded.

If that is all you are hauling you still have room for a lounge chair on top for the wife/girlfriend,or both. :clap: :clap:
<===Lefty===

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
hey hounds  do you know the exact  peices you used to make this up.. i am  wanting to make one up too. something i can  pull my shapell 3000 and  a med tote and gas auger ect. and  what you came up with dont look bad
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think in total about 4 pieces of ten foot pipe.  I also bought some 2 footers I found at Menards.  I've had a recent death in the familly so I do not have time to count the elbows and T's for you at this time.  If I were you I would use 1 1/4 because I have seen Corners at menards and crosses at ace in that size. could not find them in 1 1/2.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta

We are sorry to hear about your family member. Our thoughts are with you and yours.

Be Safe, our friend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.